PDA

View Full Version : Jerico Break Cue

Sambo
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on shaping the tip on a Jerico Break Cue...perhaps to provide a little more english on the cue ball.

Sambo

Race2-9
02-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Why don't you call Jerry 325-893-2393 and ask him, or send him the shaft and have him make the modifications you want. Hope this helps.

Sambo
02-12-2006, 09:12 AM
thank you...I will give him a call on monday...and see what his thoughts are. have a great day

sambo

Scott Lee
02-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Sambo...Pretty sure Jerry, being an excellent BCA instructor himself, will tell you the same thing I am. The tip has nothing to do with getting spin...it's ALL about the quality of your stroke. If you're getting less "english" than you want, you're most likely not hitting close enough to the edge of the CB, or you're not finishing the stroke correctly. With either adjustment, you won't need to do anything to your tip.

Scott Lee

Shorty
02-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I get alot of juice on whitey with mine...love it actually.

Shorty

Sid_Vicious
02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Question...why is more english with a break cue imperative? At best you only need slight english for a cut break...sid

ceebee
02-13-2006, 09:14 PM
JMHO... control of the Cue Ball on the Break Shot is IMPERATIVE.

Watching the Pros, or your local heroes, will tell you that POWER is the subordinate ingredient. ACCURACY & Cue Ball control are the IMPERATIVE ingredients.

Once you have developed an accurate Break Shot Stroke, knowledge of the Break Shot IMPACT POINT on the Rack is the key to success.

The use of "English" on the Break Shot is not some advice I would offer anyone ("center ball, follow & draw is not English")

Sambo
02-14-2006, 05:35 AM
i thank everyone for their input. once last night during league play (8 ball on a 7' table)..i am breaking with some bottom english to keep the cue ball in the middle of the table..as soon as the cue ball hits the lead ball the english changes and goes to the foot rail. i have changed cue ball position before the break several times and can not seem to find a position that i am confortable with. could it be to much speed on a small table?

Sambo

Cornerman
02-14-2006, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sambo:</font><hr> i am breaking with some bottom english to keep the cue ball in the middle of the table..as soon as the cue ball hits the lead ball the english changes and goes to the foot rail. <hr /></blockquote>This has nothing to do with the tip shape. You are aiming low, but you're hitting high. Most player will do this because on the break shot, you will naturally drop your elbow to produce power. It's natural. You have two choices in your stroke. Aim lower to start with (even if you're aiming impossibly low), or raise your elbow before your last stroke (tough to coordinate).

BTW, to get your cueball to the middle of the table, you don't need to hit low. In fact, a dead center ball hit will drive your cueball to the head rail because it's hitting so many balls. If you use a training ball, you will see that the most common way to "squat" the cueball in the center is to actually hit a hair above center, not below center. The only way to tell this is to use spots on your cueball to see where you actually hit.

Fred

Snapshot9
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
You can get the same effect as Fred's suggestion by just bridging a little higher. I used to have a bad habit of grazing the rail or cloth in front of it when I broke because I am so low on my stick being only 5'7". It has marred my SP up some above and below the joint some. When I got a break/jump, I started bridging higher to prevent this marring, and it is giving much more consistent breaks with good cue ball position.

ceebee
02-15-2006, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
paraprased &gt;&gt;&gt; In fact, a dead center ball hit will cause the cueball to rebound back to the head rail because, it's hitting so many balls (i.e. a solid object for a millisecond).

If you could use a training ball, you could see the most common way to "squat" the cueball, in the center of the Pool Table, is to actually hit a hair above center, not below center. <hr /></blockquote>

The forward ROLL on the Cue Ball acts as a "brake", when the CB bounces backwards from the rack, after IMPACT..

Sambo
02-18-2006, 07:25 AM
well again i would like to thank everyone for their input. this past week i went and received a lesson on breaking and the rake itself from a professional. wow what a difference. their was so much more to it than i every thought. from a lead ball break and opening up the table to an 8 ball break and leaving clusters. he watched my stroke and adjusted and adjusted the cue ball positioning. i am happy i spend the time with him. in conclusion i will leave the tip alone...lol. thank you pineapple.

sambo