PDA

View Full Version : Table leveling question.

tjlmbklr
02-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Some may or may not remember me. I am the guy that has, or should I say had the project of converting my attic of my duplex to a Rec. room. Aside from some cosmetic work and building the bar I have long successfully finished. Sorry no pictures yet (still need to clean up and want to wait till it is all done). I know some of the people on this forum gave me grief for putting a pool table in my attic. It was either this or no table until I can afford a single-family house with adequate room for an 8' table. The problem I knew I was going to have was settling of the floor because it is wood, tongue and groove, very old and I past up on going with a sub-floor.

Well the floor has settled ever so slightly (Relax the floor has plenty of stability for this table. So I had one of my Ironworker friends manufacture some disc's about 15" in diameter and 1/4" thick. I put one under each foot of the table(4). My goal was to have this disperse the weight to a larger footprint. Only problem I have now is I think I went to large in diameter because each leg should be about 200lbs. and these disc's with that much weight cannot fully compress the carpet, thus leaving the possibility to settle into the floor more. I have the option to cut them down to maybe about 8" but I still think I am battling this floor from settling. I have a very large friend goes about 325lbs.+ and when he walks the floor does shake. So I have come to the conclusion that I will have to always re-level at least till floor stops settling. I have an Olhausen with your typical leg without levelers meaning I will always have to lift and shim. What a pain in the @#$ so what I am about to suggest I do might shock some people. I want to lop off the base of the legs about maybe 1'" or so and put levelers on the feet. Am I crazy if so please let me know. Or if anyone has a better idea I am open for suggestions

Drop1
02-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Keep the fat guy out of the attic.

tjlmbklr
02-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Hey...!

Billy_Bob
02-13-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't know if this would hurt the resale value of the table or not? But otherwise sounds like a good idea to me.

I have a bar table with screw in legs and you can turn a leg say 1/4 turn and get very minimal height changes. I can level it perfectly.

Note that I play in tournaments on tables which are far from level, so I no longer keep my table level.

If I keep my table perfectly level, I'll get used to being able to shoot *very* slow safety shots, then do this in a tournament and foul because the cue ball will curve away from the object ball.