PDA

View Full Version : US group implants electronic tags in workers

SnakebyteXX
02-12-2006, 06:18 PM
By Richard Waters in San Francisco
Published: February 12 2006 22:02 | Last updated: February 12 2006 22:02

An Ohio company has embedded silicon chips in two of its employees - the first known case in which US workers have been “tagged” electronically as a way of identifying them.

CityWatcher.com, a private video surveillance company, said it was testing the technology as a way of controlling access to a room where it holds security video footage for government agencies and the police.

Embedding slivers of silicon in workers is likely to add to the controversy over RFID technology, widely seen as one of the next big growth industries.

RFID chips – inexpensive radio transmitters that give off a unique identifying signal – have been implanted in pets or attached to goods so they can be tracked in transit.

“There are very serious privacy and civil liberty issues of having people permanently numbered,” said Liz McIntyre, who campaigns against the use of identification technology.

But Sean Darks, chief executive of CityWatcher, said the glass-encased chips were like identity cards. They are planted in the upper right arm of the recipient, and “read” by a device similar to a cardreader.

“There’s nothing pulsing or sending out a signal,” said Mr Darks, who has had a chip in his own arm. “It’s not a GPS chip. My wife can’t tell where I am.”

The technology’s defenders say it is acceptable as long as it is not compulsory. But critics say any implanted device could be used to track the “wearer” without their knowledge.

VeriChip – the US company that made the devices and claims to have the only chips that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration – said the implants were designed primarily for medical purposes.

So far around 70 people in the US have had the implants, the company said.

web page (http://news.ft.com/cms/s/ec414700-9bf4-11da-8baa-0000779e2340.html)

wolfdancer
02-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Scary..........

eg8r
02-14-2006, 08:02 AM
I just don't believe this would be the company for me.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Here we go....And so begins the mark of the Beast.

I always wondered how that apocalyptic prophesy was going to play out.

And here I was thinking it was my supermarket discount card.

So we'll see a wave of tagging for corporate security purposes, then tagging for medical emergency purposes, then tagging of children, then optional tagging for the general public in order to prevent things like identity theft and credit card fraud. Then eventually, all money will be exchanged by running your arm over a sensor and if you don't have a tag, you can't buy anything, including food.

Fran

wolfdancer
02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
The Beast himself......is Sean Fister

Cueless Joey
02-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Eventually, I hope we can all tag our pool cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'd want one if it can get me in and out of the airport fast. Only problem is, what if the terrorists get a hold of the scanner.

DickLeonard
02-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Fran how do you think that the UPS driver feels when he can't stop to go to the restroom because all his packages are traceable.

Ah lets see Joe should be at his 5th stop, scan for this package, it is still not delivered. We will have to talk with Joe. Better yet is the Postal Delivery men being checked by two men in a car following them. That is really a cost effective means of catching a man taking a 15 minute break instead of ten.####

Fran Crimi
02-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Did you see his training program? That guy is a total fanatic. I would poop out after step-one. All that for a measly 376 yd drive?

I'll tell you what, though. If this guy took over the world we'd all be too busy working out to find the time to go around killing each other.

Fran

wolfdancer
02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Fran, he's featured in this month's Golf Digest, and he makes $$$ on exhibitions (80 + at up to $15k per), plus the $100k he got for winning the competition.
He breaks shafts and heads by the hundreds......but you are right about his training reg.unreal.
He has two tips for the avg golfer....more shoulder turn, combined with the butt of the shaft kept as far from the sternum as possible......and this one might work for pool....a bit.
He noticed while watching Nolan Ryan pitch, that Nolan would wiggle, shake and rotate his right wrist....to "oil it up"
Might translate into a little more cueball action???
His best drive by the way, a 40mph tailwind....he drove the green on a 545yd, par 5.
At only 43, he's blind in one eye from macular degeneration...
I wouldn't mind one a dem measly 376 yd'rs.....
Here's a tip for you.....if you ever get to play a round with Bush and Co....make sure Cheney is ahead of you at all times.....

eg8r
02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fran how do you think that the UPS driver feels when he can't stop to go to the restroom because all his packages are traceable. <hr /></blockquote> Not being able to stop to use the restroom is untrue. Another myth.

eg8r

DickLeonard
02-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Fran I must have missed something who is Sean Fister? If he is a Pro-Golfer I don't watch Golf. 90% of all Golf Pros are Republicans let them get their ratings from the Republicans.####

DickLeonard
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Eg8r I was a Card Carrying Teamster whose truck was outfitted with a Tac. Stops over 20 minutes had to be noted. My funniest moment was when my boss asked me didn't my truck go over 55 the speed limit at that time. I told him A.J. Foyt gets paid to go fast I don't. I made more money stopping at a stop sign than the dumb drivers who ran them.

You will enjoy this my, oldest daughter went to Albany College of Pharmacy on a Schenely Scholarship. Your daughter college will cost based on todays cost + inflation $400 thousand unless she goes to a Community College. Of course I can smile because my 5 daughters are all educated everyone but their dumb poolplaying father.####

eg8r
02-16-2006, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r I was a Card Carrying Teamster whose truck was outfitted with a Tac. Stops over 20 minutes had to be noted <hr /></blockquote> Any bathroom breaks over 20 minutes needs to be done on off time anyways. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Your daughter college will cost based on todays cost + inflation $400 thousand unless she goes to a Community College. Of course I can smile because my 5 daughters are all educated everyone but their dumb poolplaying father.#### <hr /></blockquote> Good for your daughters. My daughters college education is locked in to the price it is right now, no more or less, as long as they go to a state school. We also have other programs in which we are putting money towards her education, including U Promise. I am not all that excited about the state schools here, so that is why we are working on more than just one avenue to cover her costs. I can only hope and do my best to help my daughter make good decisions and push herself to excel in everything she does. With that, hopefully there will be plenty of scholarships of which to take advantage.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
02-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Oh, countin' on Schoolarships, those freebe handouts, from "The System" huh? Very Interesting.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wolfdancer
02-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Dick, Sean is a golfing monster....three time long ball champion, with a work ethic so unbelievably strong....he couldn't be a Republican

pooltchr
02-16-2006, 05:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Oh, countin' on Schoolarships, those freebe handouts, from "The System" huh? Very Interesting.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I hate to burst your bubble, but scholarship funds are generally funded by voluntary contributions, not tax dollars.
Steve

Gayle in MD
02-16-2006, 09:01 PM
They are still freebees, and many are funded by social programs. At any rate, not what you would call an autonomous plan, and from someone with no compassion for homeless, poverty strickened people who came into the world with three strikes against them, and a philosophy of no government money/handouts.

Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
02-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Are these pot shots really necessary?

My father worked his ass off for 50 years and he's a Republican. I have a pretty damn good work ethic myself.

Enough is enough. Quit crossing the line.

Everybody here should stop, take a deep breath and do some yoga or somethng. Sheesh....

Wait, forget the yoga, let's all go shoot some pool.

Fran

pooltchr
02-17-2006, 05:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Are these pot shots really necessary?

My father worked his ass off for 50 years and he's a Republican. I have a pretty damn good work ethic myself.

Enough is enough. Quit crossing the line.

Everybody here should stop, take a deep breath and do some yoga or somethng. Sheesh....

Wait, forget the yoga, let's all go shoot some pool.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Good points. You want to come down south to play, or do you need me to come up to that big frozen snow covered city? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

eg8r
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, countin' on Schoolarships, those freebe handouts, from "The System" huh? Very Interesting.
<hr /></blockquote> Even when desperately trying to be funny you get out of control. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I believe you might have mistaken a Grant with a Scholarship.

eg8r

DickLeonard
02-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Eg8r my one daughter went to the University of Buffalo and she still had $60,000 + in student loans after she had received her Dr. Degree and her Post DOC at Yale.####

eg8r
02-20-2006, 06:04 AM
That definitely sucks. I would definitely not want 60k in loans to pay. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wow, you playing so much pool must have scared them to death and they went and spent equal amount of time in school. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good for them.

eg8r