PDA

View Full Version : loyter's taste and culture review: "Stick Men"

loyter
02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Ok, I don't know how much taste or culture it involves, but I finally got my own copy of Stick Men and here is my review:

Basically, this movie is another in a line of movies about the game of pool that pale in comparison to The Hustler. Paul Newman's portrayal of "Fast" Eddie Felson set the standard for pool movies, while serving to revive the game of pool in general. (interestingly, the real-life Minnesota Fats only adopted that name after seeing the movie…he claimed that the character was patterned after him. He eventually changed his name legally to Minnesota Fats.) Stickmen, while having some great moments, some great lines, and some nice visual effects, falls short of the Hustler, but that's to be expected.

The film is set in New Zealand (shot on location by a bunch of kiwis, I think). The story follows three buddies who are good at hanging out in a bar, drinking, and shooting pool. They are good enough, in fact, that they get invited to play in an underground pool tournament run by some pretty tough characters. The tournaments takes them to some strange joints and they run into a lot of interesting opponents along the way.

“If you were stranded on a desert island, and you could take one book, one dvd, and one CD, what would they be?”

As with any movie about any particular sport or specialized activity, those who are close to the subject matter will find some glaring errors in the production of the movie. The very worst of which is a game of 8-ball being played during the tournament where the player pockets striped ball after striped ball, then lines up to shoot the 8-ball while having the 9-ball (striped) right next to his bridge hand. I thought it was part of the plot, that he was making a mistake as part of the script, but no. Also, there were very few technically difficult shots in the film, and many of the scenes that featured actual play didn’t show the shots at all.

All in all, the film is well put together, pretty funny, and has some interesting twists along the way. If you want to see this movie, however, you may have to contact me, for I think I have the only copy in town.

(This is a re-post from another web-site, so please forgive any information that seems too basic.)