PDA

View Full Version : Latin America to protest US bill

nAz
02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
It will never happen at least not in this decade... Bush will cave in on this issue and continue to do squat about our huge boarder problem.

The US wants tighter security along the Mexican border
Officials from 11 Latin American countries have agreed a coordinated lobbying campaign against a tougher immigration bill in the US.

At a meeting in Colombia they said they were concerned about the bill, being debated in the US Senate, and wanted jointly to promote Hispanic migration.

The US proposal backs a 1,130-km (700-mile) fence on the Mexican border.

Washington has accused Mexico of not doing enough to stem the flow of illegal immigrants into the US.

Correspondents say that every day an estimated 1,500 Latin Americans, mostly Mexicans, cross into the US illegally.

Campaign

The 11 countries meeting in the seaside resort city of Cartagena were Mexico, the Central American nations, plus Colombia, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic.

Officials decided to send a mission to Washington next week to identify key US lawmakers on the immigration debate, Salvadoran Foreign Minister Francisco Lainez said.

Latin American governments would urge US legislators to change or defeat the bill that has already been passed by the US House of Representatives.

The lobbying campaign will use all diplomatic channels, as well as churches, charities and chambers of commerce, officials said.

President George W Bush has stressed that "border security must adapt to the nation's changing needs".

But Colombian Foreign Minister Carolina Barco said it was essential for Americans to understand how much Hispanic workers contributed to the economy.

The US bill also covers the use of troops and police to halt migrants, and tighter employment controls.

eg8r
02-15-2006, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Officials from 11 Latin American countries have agreed a coordinated lobbying campaign against a tougher immigration bill in the US.
<hr /></blockquote> As far as illegal aliens are concerned, who cares what these 11 countries think. We need to put the wall up (nice to have it electrocute anyone climbing over it, nothing to kill anyone but to surely discourage their illegal actions /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and then enforce the rules already in place. I am not sure any tougher laws on immigration are going to do anything other than make it tougher for those who do come legally. We need to start really enforcing those laws already in place and get tough with them.

eg8r

pooltchr
02-15-2006, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
But Colombian Foreign Minister Carolina Barco said it was essential for Americans to understand how much Hispanic workers contributed to the economy. <hr /></blockquote>

Ya gotta wonder who's economy he is talking about...The US or Columbia's. Somehow, I don't think they are too concerned with our economy in Columbia. Illegals come here, work, pay no taxes, and send money home to their families. We are being used, and unless we put a stop to the illegal imigration, it will just get worse.
Steve

Gayle in MD
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Since Bush is all for illegals, and wants a guest worker program, just another term for amnesty, as in most of our pressing safety issues, post 9/11, nothing of any value will be accomplished regarding keeping these criminals out. His remarks on the subject have been nothing more than an invitation for more and more to make the treck. Our troops would be better placed right on our borders, than in Iraq, guns in hand, shoot to kill, "STOP, OR WE SHOOT"

A few months of that would do the trick.

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
I think most studies indicate the U.S.,has a large aging population,and some type of rational immigration system is needed. I don't think the present administration has the will,to create such a system for fear of losing the charitable Christian right wing. I don't think we need to be in Iraq,and if we do put armed military on the border,should they shoot the pregnant women first,until the laws of citizenship change,or the older people who will soon be a burden on our resources? I love tacos,don't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif