PDA

View Full Version : Advantages to buying your own cue

07-02-2002, 01:00 AM
What are the advantages to buying your own cue? Consistency? More English? Is the improvement worth dishing out $200-$350? How much should a solid cue with minimum ornamentation cost?
Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

07-02-2002, 01:45 AM
I can go on all day about the reasons. The fact is, if you want to be a more consistent poolplayer,, you can do one of two things:

1. Buy your own cue so at least your equipment is consistent and you are confident that your cue isn't holding your game back.

2. Start missing every single shot. At least then, you can say you CONSISTENTLY miss!

Having your own decent cue (regardless of brand) will improve your game in little time. It is so much harder to learn how to play using a cue off the wall. Personally, I'm very self-conscious whenever I use a house-cue and feel very uncomfortable drawing the ball back.

I'd start off with a Viking or Cuetec. something in the $100-$150 range should do it. Falcon is another solid cue for little money. There really isn't such a thing as a "beginner's cue". There's either a professional caliber cue or a piece of garbage. Of course, there are high-end cues that many professionals prefer but there is always a good player out there who's using one of the cheaper brands on the market.

Avoid anything for under $100, I see this as the price cusp but there's always a few exceptions out there. If it's your first cue, you really shouldn't have to spend more then $200.

Jude M. Rosenstock