PDA

View Full Version : Pool bench - pics? measurements?

SPetty
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I want to put a long pool bench against one wall. We'd be custom building it to fit the space. I've only ever seen one picture of these, and I don't recall seeing any in person. They are, I think, kind of like a pew up against the wall, but up on a platform somehow.

Does anyone have any pictures of pool benches? If the place you play has one, can you take some pictures and send them to me?

I'd like to know: How tall should it be? How tall should the back be? Should there be an angle to the seat? How deep should the seat be? What do you do with your drinks - just put them on the seat, or is there usually some sort of table - built in?

I'm hoping to include additional storage, under the seat and/or in the platform. Maybe even a display area under the seat?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Barbara
02-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Bench seating Woman!!

You should replay your copy of "The Hustler", they had such a setup in the scenes with Fast Eddie playing Fats at both occasions. It could've been a background scene and not a centered shot.

Anyway, the seating should be that no one person should have to lift themselves out of the chair or hop down from the seating. I would go with 30" height for the cushion, 6" step up.

I know what you want. My Dad did this in his pool room without the riser you're talking about, only it got to be in the way with the perimeter of the table and shooting. I know that won't be your problem!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Tom_In_Cincy
02-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I know the type of elevated church pews. Those would be nice.

Deeman might remember, but HighPocket in Memphis had two shoe shine chairs just next to the checkin-out counter. It was a favorite place for us old timers to perch and watch the room.

You don't want the seats too high, might get caught in the ceiling fans.

here is a pic.

shoe shine chairs, notice the foot rest (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2109114388&idx=1)

jjinfla
02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Barbara, shame on me, I thought you were refering to the Hustler magazine.

Susan, how come there were no pictures of you and your Hubby in the two BD articles?

Jake

Paul_Mon
02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Sue,
I built this bench, with storage underneath on one wall of my room. It's about 12' long and is not elevated at all. If you do elevate the seat remember to put in some sort of foot rest. I have cushions and fabric to cover them but have been lazy about finishing that part.

Paul Mon

http://community.webshots.com/photo/199940479/1199945532060414241IZBTKq

SPetty
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi Paul_Mon,

Thanks for the pic. That looks something like what I'm thinking, but up on a platform which would double as the foot rest, so that when you're sitting, you can still see the table.

I like how you did the hinges - it's just what I was thinking. I hadn't thought about cushions - most folks don't sit for a long enough time to get uncomfortable.

So how deep is your seat? Is it comfortable enough to sit on for a spell? I know that if the seat isn't deep enough, it can get uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Thanks!

Paul_Mon
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Spetty,

The bench is 17" deep. Actually, I don't use them too often. There are 2 tall chairs on the opposite side of the table that get used more. Pads are very easy to make with 2" or 3" foam and your favorite fabric. I've padded chairs with cordury and once padded a ice fishing sled with vinyl. The pads for the bench can be secured with velcro. Good luck..........Paul