PDA

View Full Version : Center Channel(Surround Around) Opinions

Sid_Vicious
02-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I am reading strong opinions that the center channel in the surround systems are very important pertaining to the needing a higher end($$$) speaker. I can not grasp the whys for that opinion. What you get is the voices basically from the center channel so is it really that key to buy "up" in quality? Seems to me that this is a minor segment in reality. Tia...sid

Cueless Joey
02-16-2006, 01:12 PM
My opinion is the center channel should be up to par with the other four speakers ( if you have subwoofer ).
After all MOST of the sound comes from the center channel.
Whatever is COMMON in the left and right fronts go to the center plus the vocals.
Also with true Dolby Digital and DTS, you get a true SEPARATE channel in the center. So if a missile shoots left to right, the center picks up the audio when that missile is in the center of the screen.
Audio tip: To setup the audio level of each speaker, get a decible meter. Do a test tone, and set the volume of each satellite speakers evenly.
Audio tip 2: To find the best spot for your subwoofer, place the sub where you are going to sit. Play some bass sound. Walk around the room. Wherever in that room you are hearing the most bass, plass the subwoofer there.

Sid_Vicious
02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks, I have another question. I have a sub now and have purchased a new surround speaker group w/sub included, in preparation for a DLP, and will wish to run both of the subwoofers, forward and rear. My AV receiver has only one subwoofer out jack, so I am wondering what the configuration will be to conect both subs? Will they split off of the one RCA jack or be done in daisy chain? Maybe current AV receivers have more than one sub out port, and I will have the DLP which probably has a sub out as well. Any thoughts???sid

Cueless Joey
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I would only hook up one sub. Pick the best one and use that one. Two subs are just overbearing to me.
Dual-out subs receivers are overkill imo.
We cannot localize bass. So having two doesn't make sense unless you are filling a whole arena.
When you get the DLP, hook it up to your receivers RGB out or AVI jack. DLP will do nothing but project video if you have a true AV receiver with the right outputs.

heater451
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Agreed--no need for 2 subwoofers.

Subwoofer frequencies are considered "uni-directional", so they appear to come from everywhere. However, moving the sub around will affect the sound, as there are resonant frequencies to deal with--fine-tune with distance from the wall, testing for "boominess".

The two subs will probably sound very different, due to the differences in design--due to both the cabinet/casing configuration, and the set crossover frequency designed for it (although you may also have a selector switch, for the x-over freq). It might be better to run the one that came with the package, since that one would, hopefully, be tuned to match the rest of them.

Of course, listening to the two should drive the choice.

I have seen some systems, which run the sub from the main amp, and, even though it might be a tuned system, I personally would probably choose to run a self-powered sub, over one sharing the head amp. This is more of a technical choice, related to power consumption, and a true audiophile would probably disagree with my reasoning.

Downstairs, I have an older Bose Lifestyle system, with everything intergrated, and I always liked it, but there are many who don't care for "the Bose sound"--which, unfortunately, I can't describe for you. Upstairs, I am running an "RCA"-badged A/V receiver, piping out to 5 BIC "universal" type speakers (I wanted them each to be fairly full-range), and a 12-inch, self-powered subwoofer. Unfortunately, the sub has a tendency to overpower the other channels, because I run the 'loudness' selector all the time, but I don't mind turning it up a little more for the dialog--it's great for explosions, and video-game gunfire. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Otherwise, it works well enough.

Lastly, I've come to believe that most movies, although labeled "surround sound", don't often really make use of the back channels. Some receivers have a faked surround, achieved by directing delayed signals to the correct speakers. I heard this type of setup, back in the mid-90s, and it actually seemed to work pretty well.

Since the investment has already been made in a full system, starting with it might be the easiest thing to do.

=============================

Cueless Joey
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Downstairs, I have an older Bose Lifestyle system, with everything intergrated, and I always liked it, but there are many who don't care for "the Bose sound"-- <hr /></blockquote>
No Highs No Lows, Must Be Bose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sorry, just couldn't resist.

eg8r
02-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I agree, I don't understand any need to buy a higher quality speaker for the center channel. Generally speaking, what you have is probably going to be just fine. One misconception is that the only thing coming out of the center channel is voices, this is not always true (but true for the majority of the time). It just depends on what is happening in the scene.

eg8r

eg8r
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is the center channel should be up to par with the other four speakers ( if you have subwoofer ). <hr /></blockquote> Wouldn't that be your other 5 speakers, if including sub? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif 5.1 (old school nowadays) = Front Left, Center, Front Right, Left Surround (rear), Right Surround (rear), and sub.

eg8r

eg8r
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe current AV receivers have more than one sub out port, and I will have the DLP which probably has a sub out as well. Any thoughts???sid <hr /></blockquote> New AV receivers will have two jacks if they offer 6.2, or 7.2 audio. The .2 refers to the number of subs. I have never split the sub channel before, but my guess is that you could just use a y adaptor on the RCA to split the signal.

There is a local high end HT shop here in town that has a Kenwood setup (with Faroujda) and it sounds pretty awesome (I am not a Kenwood person myself). However, the quantity of movies offering 7.2 does not justify the cost of the equipment right now.

eg8r

heater451
02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> . . .The .2 refers to the number of subs. I have never split the sub channel before, but my guess is that you could just use a y adaptor on the RCA to split the signal. . . .<hr /></blockquote>This would probably be good, if the subs are self-powered, but I think a y-connector might cause a lot of load on the amp, if it wasn't made for it--in which case it probably has two outs.

Since I would have never thought a second subwoofer would be necessary, unless you've got a really big room, I did some web-research, and found this:

[ QUOTE ]
Multiple subwoofers are easier to place

By using two subwoofers instead of one, and placing them in opposite corners on the same distance from the listener, (it is best done in each corner behind the main speakers) there will be an obvious reduction of the room resonances, while the directly radiated sound pressure will increase. This is because two corners in a room will have opposite phase effects of the fundamental (half wavelength) room resonances acting in this direction.
If we have two subwoofers placed on the floor against the front wall the horizontal standing wave will disappear. If we have two subwoofers in the same horizontal direction instead, but one placed on the floor and one up against the ceiling, the vertical standing wave will disappear. If we have four subwoofers (down left, up left, down right, up right) then we avoid both the horizontal and the vertical standing waves in those two directions (I then assume mono connected subwoofers). If you want to lessen the action of even higher order multiple standing waves, i.e. full wave resonance, 1.5 wave resonance and others, even more subwoofers may be added to the system. One example of an excellent placement of four subwoofers is an even distribution horizontally behind the main speakers. <hr /></blockquote>Here is the link (http://www.sonicdesign.se/subplace.html) .

==============================

Chopstick
02-20-2006, 09:06 AM
What ya need is one of them thar stereos that will blow a woman's clothes off when you turn it up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif