PDA

View Full Version : 8-Ball Match: APA 7 vs BCA National Champ

Bassn7
02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Last night I got to go head to head with the 2005 BCA National 8-Ball Singles champion. He joined the APA for the first time this season.

Outcome: 5-3 in 4 innings, I lost. 2 lessons learned by watching his style of play: #1. Controlling the cue ball on the break is key! He always made balls and always kept the cue ball near center table. #2. Instead of breaking out balls with the cue ball, he drove his object balls into clusters and made carom shots to produce his breakouts. It was amazing to watch.

SpiderMan
02-17-2006, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Last night I got to go head to head with the 2005 BCA National 8-Ball Singles champion. <hr /></blockquote> Just curious, which singles champion was he? I think BCA has several, ie open singles, master's singles, senior, super senior, etc.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr>#1. Controlling the cue ball on the break is key! He always made balls and always kept the cue ball near center table. <hr /></blockquote>

Very, very true. The fact that he was using an open break (probably breaking from near the center of the table) every time indicates that he did not fear you as an opponent, and was playing to run out. If you watch the BCA master's singles, you'll notice that many of those guys switch to the more-conservative side break after the first game or two if the match is close. The best players, particularly when they're confident of a win, almost always start out breaking "open" and playing runout.

Expecting to make a ball on the break is routine for a good player on bar tables. I've had several lively email debates regarding that subject with one of the BCA instructors who posts here. He was saying "no" and quoting less-than-50% averages for pros, but his statistics were for 9-ball on 9-foot tables. 8-ball on bar boxes is an entirely different set of numbers.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr>#2. Instead of breaking out balls with the cue ball, he drove his object balls into clusters and made carom shots to produce his breakouts. <hr /></blockquote>

Other than the shot that always seems to pop up where you carom off a ball or cluster to clear traffic near a pocket, I'd say that this is not typical. Probably the particular layouts presented to him in that short set just favored those particular moves. I've also had layouts where the best breakout was achieved by caroming the cueball first off the cluster to pocket my ball. You have to be ready to do what makes the most sense.

SpiderMan

Bassn7
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Opponent: BCA Open Singles Champion, Andy Quinn.

Cane
02-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Bassn7. Sounds like you did well and most important, you did EXACTLY what you were supposed to do... observe and learn.

Later,
Bob