PDA

View Full Version : HELP me get there from here.

Cue_Ambition
02-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I first felt ah pool cue when I was 4 or 5 at the local bars after pops would finish with softball. I'm 23 now and have been getting more and more into the sport. I do better (give or take some sh!t days) than most people I play. I want to see what I'm really made of though. So if anyone has any ideas of where to start I'm all ears...or uh, eyes I guess. Thanx to all that offer some brain juice on the issue.

Peace. -Aaron /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dareads
02-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Quickest way would be to play in a local tournament. Tournaments will not only test your physical abilities on the table, but they will test your mental abilities as well. You can also look into getting lessons. If it is something you are serious about, getting some professional instruction will help out in the long run to ensure you are practicing good habits. This is just my personal experience.

pooltchr
02-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Both good suggestions. I would only add that tournament play can test your skill, but you need to be playing straight up...handicapped tournaments aren't a good indicator of your true speed. Play against the best players, and play 'em even. You will learn very quickly just how good you really are.
Oh, yeah...I like the idea of getting a good instructor as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

ABQ_Poolhead
02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Cue_,
You might consider joining a league, such as APA, BCA, etc. This gives you an opportunity to play other players in a more relaxed setting than a tournament. Being on an APA team for 2 years has helped me gain confidence when competing against different players, and has allowed me to really work on my game. For me personally, I would probably take tournaments too seriously (I have played in two, won neither, played really well in one, lousy in the other), play too cautiously because there's money involved, and not be willing to push my game. Everyone's different though.
Anyway, that's the route I've chosen, and it's worked out well for me. Good luck.

Billy_Bob
02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
An insatiable curiosity about the game and equipment is a plus. Learn all you can is the thing. There are hundreds of books, some new and most out of print...
(Search for keyword: billiards)
http://used.addall.com

Then videos, the internet, and personal instruction from a qualified instructor. Again, learn all you can.

The *most* important thing is the ability to practice what you are not good at. Playing in a tournament, having trouble with a particular shot, then later practicing that shot. Fixing the problem even if it takes you months or years to fix it. Learning all about everything related to that shot, etc.

An example: I had problems drawing the cue ball. Well I got fed up with losing tournaments because I would draw the cue ball too far or not at all. I spent two months trying out different size at tip shafts, hardness of tips, brands/types of tips, and radius of tips. Then decided on the exact cue and tip I wanted. Then spent about a year working on draw shots a lot. Reading all I could about draw shots. Well this has paid off big time. I can now draw the cue ball back a specific distance. I understand what went wrong when I mess up a draw shot. Because I understand how it works.

And same with everything else. Be willing to research/learn all you can and practice one specific type of shot. Identify problems - work hard to get better, etc.

Lots of frustrating work because you are practicing what you are not good at!

mfinkelstein3
02-17-2006, 06:06 PM
First get a lesson from a qualified instructor. Then practice what he/she taught you. Then go and compete in a tournament or a league and see what you need to learn/work on. Get another lesson. Practice. Compete. Keep at this for 5 years and you will know how good you can really be. <font color="black"> </font color>

ceebee
02-19-2006, 10:21 AM
the advice given has been great. The order I would also suggest is lessons, practice, reading books, practice, league play, &amp; tournaments. When all that is working for you, a small wager helps you build some focus &amp; confidence in winning.

Good Luck to you. Hopefully, you will gain something from this endeavor you are wanting to embark on...