PDA

View Full Version : Public Chastisment From Captain

Sid_Vicious
02-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I have a personal dilemma. I am on a very strong team, me being the weakest link but done better than 80% as an individual up until this last week, even though most of my nights were against weaker teams. Well the evening began with me not supposed to play due to a rotation policy, and we were playing the second place team so I voiced that this was a very smart idea of having one of the stronger players shoot. My captain, and a very close friend(which creates my current personal problem) elected to have me play saying "It's time you came up to the plate", and he added instructions to me about what he wanted me to "see and do" with tied up balls, etc.,,,all things I do well anyway, but I didn't get my panties in a wad over that, it was the aftermath of the event that was the real problem. The night went badly for me, opponents broke and ran numerous times and there were the goofs of breaking my runs I admit, but overall I had my good moments, I was simply over powered, plus the early advice DID sting a bit which didn't do me any good in the attitude department. The match ended, I shot low, and then I was approached again in front of the team players this time, and asked, "What happened to you?" I explained the b&r cases and was IMO sharply asked, "Well what about all the rest!" This guy and I have been real close friends for a long time even though there's been a waning of association of late for whatever reason, and I'll tell ya, I'm not sure just how I can or will proceed with this lengthy season and this personal issue. On the one hand I can try and preserve the friendship first and suggest I bail out of the whole deal, but just doing that makes me think I'll cause more damage to the friendship than staying the course. Eventually though, my mind is going to trip-out in future head-bumps if they happen if front of other players, and that is NO FUN, nada, seemingly a predictable and unpleasant response from me to the guy, and I don't like that feeling today.

This is the first time I've had this flavor of a situation since this is the first time my friend has captained on any team I've played on before. I could forsee myself answering to myself, "Well talk to the guy and explain that it was uncomfortable for you to have been called down in front of the other guys, and if he's a true friend, he will understand." I somehow feel that the friendship/team deal is kinda like the one where you are advised not to play with a spouse(just an example folks, save your daggers.) Where do I go from here, cuz today I feel uncomfortable even hooking up for play-play, plus my zeal for showing up for team support next week is near or below zero. Thoughts? Please PM me if you happen to be a local friend,,,the world is getting too damn small with this internet and I'd rather keep the real names hidden. Thanks,,,sid

JPB
02-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Hate to say it but your friendship may be gone already. I might speak to him privately, once. Just tell him calmly but bluntly what your problem with what he did was. If he can't discuss it your course of action becomes clear. If he can you will have to decide what to do.

I hate hearing this stuff about leagues. It brings out the worst in people.

dg-in-centralpa
02-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Sid,
What place is your team in? When you play a good team, captains always expect the best, and friendship be damned. Especially if there is a money payout at the end of the year or a first place trophy. My team used to be that way when we had playoffs at the end of the season. Everyone has a bad night. A month ago, I was ranked #15 in our league. Since then I went on an 11 game losing streak. Some was my fault, but most not. Now I'm barely over 50 percent. Let it go. It's only a game. Next week is another week. Still go and support your team. I'll bet your teammates weren't happy with the captain.

Duane