PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Olympic Program: Gone to the Dogs?

Fran Crimi
02-19-2006, 08:02 AM
It seems like too many Americans acting just plain stupid at the Olympics. This is the first time I've seen so many act so stupid at the same time. Where are the coaches??? What the heck is going on??? So many of them have seemed to completely put aside that they're representing their country and turned it into a me me me act.

Bode Miller has been a train wreck waiting to happen for a long time now. This guy needs help. He's out drinking and partying every night, missing practice runs and the coaches do nothing. "It's just Bode being Bode." Baloney. Make him play by the rules or he's out. I'm sure in a few years we'll see Bode's new book about his battle with alcholism, his fear of fame, and how he blew the Olympics.

In contrast, there's Apollo Anton Ono who faded death threats by Koreans for the last 4 years due to their star's disqualification after a collision with Ono in the last Olympics. Yet Ono has been the epitome of graciousness, giving credit to the two Korean fast track skaters who teamed up against him in a race where that was illegal. Good for him!

Then we have figure skater Johnny Weir who can't shut up and nearly everything he says is totally ridiculous. Not only that, but he shows up at the Olympics wearing an old USSR jacket. HUH? Not only did he insult the U.S. but he insulted Russia. What a jerk.

But wait...there's more...

How about our star snowboard cross athlete who decides to do a half pipe trick in the air just before the finish line in the finals? Not only did she blow the gold medal but she blew off what she did, saying at first that she was merely adjusting her board in the air. Sure you were... Later during an interview she admitted that she "might have" been doing a trick. Gimme a break.

But wait...more to come...

American women skiers wearing jewelry during competition? Not JUST jewelry, but stupid jewelry, like a tiarra instead of a helmet? Or how about a triple strand of pearls bouncing around while you're trying to hold on at 80mph? Absolutely ridiculous. Of course they bombed on the slopes. Too busy trying to hang on to their jewelry, I guess.

And of course, now we have Davis who is acting not only ungracious but downright militant towards his teammates. 4 Days before the team speed skating event, he informed his team he wasn't participating because he wanted to focus on his event which BTW, was 4 days after the team event. Not enough time for him to rest? No, he was sticking it to his team mates. Even if he had a legitimate reason to be angry, I have no idea, this is the OLYMPICS and you are competing for your country. Even Dan Janson commented that this guy isn't a team player. That's just disgraceful. Put your differences aside, guys, and do it for your country.

Where are the coaches in all of this? Have they been reduced to mere cheerleaders? Why don't they have the authority to demand sportsmanship and discipline from these athletes?

Fran

DickLeonard
02-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Fran I thought that the lady snowboarder sharked herself, she looked behind her and took her eyes off the target and saw no one, then without getting her eyes on her target she did that move that cost her the gold.####

Fran Crimi
02-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes, Bob Costas caught her in a lie during an interview afterwards when he asked her if she did it because she felt she had a big lead. She said she didn't know how far or close anyone was behind her, but he called her on it by saying he saw her turn around. She turned red and then said, "Well, I could only see back up to a certain point."

Dick, I think she was trying to copycat the American guy who won the gold medal doing the same thing during the snowboard cross finals. He grabbed his board in the air on his final jump and didn't fall. I think she thought that was cool. He shouldn't have done it and neither should she.

Fran

DickLeonard
02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Fran it was his girlfriend who won the Gold. Do you think he might have planted that seed on purpose?

Just watched Hockey and a Sweden player pulled a good move, he knocked off the helmet of a player and he hit the puck then picked it up and he received a penalty for playing without it. I guess the American hockey players weren't aware of that rule. ####

Fran Crimi
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Who knows...maybe he was coaching his girlfriend in how to beat her in the finals and she pulled that move as a 'backatcha' move. I doubt he'd risk his own gold medal just to lure someone else. I think he was just doing his thing out there.

Fran

wolfdancer
02-19-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/n/pictures/2006/02/17/flock1.jpg

signs of the Apocalypse: A flock of pigeons mimics the cupola of the Lingotto complex in Turin on the same day U.S. skater Johnny Weir's aura goes missing.

Deeman3
02-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Fran,

You are so right. Have they all gone nuts? I once had a guy at hill-hill in the semis one hand a hanger and miss it! It is sorta like spiking the football before you get in the end zone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess the woman that won the gold has to feel like, "you can do a trick on me anytime." Sad she loses the metal if you can't do the time, don't do the crime....

Maybe it's that Italian air or something.

Deeman

moblsv
02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
I won't really comment on the other issues but I do have some inside info on the speedskating side of things.

A good friend of mine, Ryan Shimabukuro, is the head speed skating coach and has been sending me daily updates. This is what he wrote this morning concerning one of the media circus issues in his team.

[ QUOTE ]

"As far as all the other nonsense that you've probably been reading about in the press about the "Shani vs. Chad" issue. Don't buy into it. The media here has been the one's responsible for manufacturing the whole thing. Their looking to create stories and some of the comments made have been taken way, way out of context. I've sat in the press conferences for both Joey &amp; Shani's Gold medal performances following the race and when I read how the writers write their story afterwards, it's amazingly different. Sure, the quotes are true, but spun in a different way to make it look as if there's controversy."<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
02-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Fran,

I just read your post to Pete out loud and he had me copy it to him at work so a lot more people could read your well written thoughts. This is another reason why we respect you so much.

Honest to God! Michelle Kwan turns out to be the classiest act at these Olympics giving up her spot so another deserving athlete can compete. Thank you Michelle!!

All the kids today want instant gratification. They want it all NOW. They don't know what commitment is to anything they do. The music and videos just put the wrong influence into the mainstream of the youth today and they just can't help going against the flow.

But there are the ones that put out the real deal of effort. I hope they don't give up.

EDIT::

Thanks Fran!! I know you came from the "School Of Hard Knocks"! Nothing came to you easily. You learned the hard way by observing and asking questions when nobody would respond with any answers! There were no books and no tapes at that time. You had to learn on your own.

When the term "pulling yourself by the bootstraps" is put out there, you're the Poster Child. If it weren't for you. the WPBA wouldn't be in exsistence.

You should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Barbara

Fran Crimi
02-19-2006, 10:45 PM
The media always likes to blow things up, but everything I wrote was based on my own observations in watching the Olympics. I saw the faces of the speedskaters. I heard them speak afterwards. I saw the tension and dislike for one another. I heard Shani's mom complain about her son not being treated fairly back in the states. There's bad blood there and it seems pretty clear to me that Shani took it all the way to Italy with him, and his mother made sure he did.

Fran

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Fran,

I just read your post to Pete out loud and he had me copy it to him at work so a lot more people could read your well written thoughts. This is another reason why we respect you so much. <font color="blue"> Thanks, Barbara, and tell Pete I said thanks, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Honest to God! Michelle Kwan turns out to be the classiest act at these Olympics giving up her spot so another deserving athlete can compete. Thank you Michelle!! <font color="blue"> Boy, you hit the nail on the head. My guess is she overdid it at the opening ceremony. She could have stayed in and rested but she felt an obligation to be there. There was probably even a chance that she could have competed but she didn't think it would have been fair if it turned out she didn't feel 100%. She is a class act. </font color>

All the kids today want instant gratification. They want it all NOW. They don't know what commitment is to anything they do. The music and videos just put the wrong influence into the mainstream of the youth today and they just can't help going against the flow. <font color="blue"> It's true. They need guidance and for some reason, they don't seem to be getting it. </font color>

But there are the ones that put out the real deal of effort. I hope they don't give up. <font color="blue"> Here here! </font color>

EDIT::

Thanks Fran!! I know you came from the "School Of Hard Knocks"! Nothing came to you easily. You learned the hard way by observing and asking questions when nobody would respond with any answers! There were no books and no tapes at that time. You had to learn on your own. <font color="blue"> Are you kidding? I had Willie Mosconi's little red book...you know...the one where you're just as confused after you read it as before you read it. </font color>

When the term "pulling yourself by the bootstraps" is put out there, you're the Poster Child. If it weren't for you. the WPBA wouldn't be in exsistence. <font color="blue"> I was just one of many who helped keep things going when times were tough. </font color>

You should be in the Hall Of Fame. <font color="blue"> Nah...I'm in my family's hall of fame. That's all that's important to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<font color="blue"> Thanks! </font color>

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Ha! That's perfect!

Can you believe that guy? His aura went dark that day. UNREAL. Maybe it was from everyone telling him to take off that damn jacket.

Fran

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Now the real story starts to emerge.

Winning the 1000 meter has been his dream since childhood.

He didn't qualify for that event in the 2002 Olympics, but did qualify to be 'eligible' to skate in the team pursuit..

Even though he was there, he wasn't picked to skate in the team event in 2002 so he wound up not competing at all in Salt Lake City. Mommy was mad.

Now he's eligible to compete in both events. (Remember, his dream is the 1000 meter event.)

Now he claims he didn't want to prevent any skater from competing by him skating, so he elected to bow-out of the team pursuit, citing what happened to him in 2002.

One problem: He contradicts himself because earlier he said that he never had any intention of competing in the team event in Torino because the 1000 meter was his dream and that's where he wanted to put his focus.

So now he's trying to put a different spin on things to try not to make himself look selfish. Too late. Not only that, but he did try out for the short track events but didn't make the team. What if he had made the short track team? Don't you think he would have skated in those events as well? What about his much-needed rest for the 1000 meter event? Neither of his stories hold up. Why? Because neither of them are the truth.

This is all about revenge. Revenge for being rejected in 2002.

And he actually thought nobody would notice?

Fran

pooltchr
02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Fran,
Just wondering if you think some of these factors may be part of the reason that TV ratings for the Olympics are down this year.
Steve

Drop1
02-20-2006, 06:45 PM
The United States should pull out of the Olympics. It's not about sports,or sportsmanship.Its about celebrity status,and money from endorsements. I need a nap,my event for Nike is coming up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> The United States should pull out of the Olympics. It's not about sports,or sportsmanship.Its about celebrity status,and money from endorsements. I need a nap,my event for Nike is coming up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No, that's not the problem. U.S. Olympians are just starting to catch up with other countries in that department. We probably rank near the bottom when compared with other countries in how they give their Olympians celebrity status and endorsements.

I'm surprised, Drop. I never took you for a quitter. You do know what they say about people who recommend quitting, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J/K, but seriously, quitting is not the answer. I'm not sure what is, but that sure isn't.

Fran

Drop1
02-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Fran:when you get the right answer,let me know,and I will change my view on the Olympics. Hey thanks for the advice on drawing the cue ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 07:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Fran,
Just wondering if you think some of these factors may be part of the reason that TV ratings for the Olympics are down this year.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I think that may be part of the problem, but I think a bigger part is that Internet Providers are allowing results to be posted immediately and they're not giving people the option to "click here" to see results like they used to. They're headlining them all over the place. It's hard to avoid seeing the results as soon as you get on line. That kind of thing takes the fun out of watching if you already know what happened.

I think it's going to get worse for the networks over time. They may have to wind up broadcasting live in the middle of the night in the future.

Fran

Deeman3
02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Fran,
Steve

<font color="blue"> Nope I have this figured out. As excited as I was about curling and all. I just setup my Tv on the CNBC thing that shows highlights, then icould catch those during the interludes in righ wing Fox News political programs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Anyway, I just sort of switched over every few hours to catch up on the drama. It's plain to see, they are giving these kids C.D.'s instead of metals! They are plainly just like an old Snoop Doggy Style CD out of WAlmrt hung around their necks on a string. Now wonder everyone is blowing the chances at metals, they are paying for that?