PDA

View Full Version : In God we trust.....

wolfdancer
02-19-2006, 04:30 PM
....and GWB ?????
Conservatism and the Bush Bunch (by William Norman Grigg)
by William Norman Grigg
February 18, 2006

Bob Barr, a former Republican congressman from Georgia who served as one of the House impeachment managers during Bill Clinton's impeachment trial in the Senate, has become an outspoken critic of the Bush administration's "Homeland Security" agenda.

He has been particularly vehement in condemning the administration’s use of warrantless wiretaps, a policy he describes as an assault on the rights protected by the Fourth Amendment.

At the recent Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, Barr — once a darling of the Beltway “right” — was treated as an apostate and heretic. Barr was on hand to debate former Bush administration legal adviser Viet Dinh, who helped compose the so-called Patriot Act.

“Do we truly remain a society that believes that … every president must abide by the law of this country?” asked Barr during his opening statement. “I, as a conservative, say yes. I hope you as conservatives say yes.” This exhortation, reports the Washington Post, was greeted by “deathly” silence by the audience, which was much more receptive to Dinh’s effort to “carve out a Bush exception to their ideological principle of limited government.”

“The conservative movement has a healthy skepticism of governmental power, but at times, unfortunately, that healthy skepticism needs to yield,” pontificated Dinh. While Barr insisted that the central issue in the debate was “whether or not we will remain a nation subject to and governed by the rule of law or the whim of men,” Dinh insisted that true conservatives are willing and eager to trust Bush: “None of us can make a conclusive assessment as to the wisdom of that [wiretapping] program and its legality, without knowing the full operational details. I do trust the president when he asserts that he has reviewed it carefully and therefore is convinced that there is full legal authority.”

Dinh, like other supposed Bush-era conservatives, inverts Jefferson’s familiar warning that “in questions of power … let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Dinh obviously views Bush as so trustworthy that, unlike other men, he does not need any constitutional restraints. On the other hand, Barr holds to the pre-Bush era conservative view. “Whether it’s a sitting president when I was an impeachment manager, or a Republican president who has taken liberties with adherence to the law, to me the standard is the same,” Barr told the Post.

Gayle in MD
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Well, WEll, Well, atleast we know there is one Republican, who gives a damn about our Constitution, and the rule of law. It says a lot about the Republican Party, that they seem to have blocked yet another investigation.

After watching the Senate Investigation Committee interview the Whistleblowers, I was beginning to feel that I am living in a communist society. The standard retaliation against public servants who, compelled by their own integrity, to report the breaking of our laws, by higher ups, is total ruination, career wise, and in some cases, worse, total destruction of ones life. Also, there can be no doubt that we do torture prisoners.

According to John Dean, there can be no doubt that this President has broken the law with his wire taps,... also, Interviews with the NASA Scientist are certainly convincing, I believe him, that the administration has tried to thwart his reporting of what the whole Scientific Community agrees on, global warming. And he's not the only scientist making these claims. I'm beginning to think we're in the dark ages. How does Bush keep getting away with these illegal actions? Even Republicans, are approaching a time when their cover-up attempts, are going to bite them if they don't begin to stand up against such blatant disregard for our laws.

I haven't felt this angry in a long time, and disapponted. When I think Republicans are using the "Anger" card, against Hilliary Clinton, I wonder how they can look at themselves in the mirror. Anyone who isn't angry over these issues, must surely be incredibly partisan, or apathetic, or maybe they never read Orwell.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Gayle, points taken...
It's amazing how the party that claims to limit Government, is so willing to let that same government, do as they please, the Constitution be damned, and have this blind faith in what I believe is a very troubled man. I've disliked Presidents before......Nixon was an evil man from his days running for Congress. Reagan was just a pathetic, manipulated fool.
I kind of liked George senior....too bad he never had a vasectomy operation......this man though is clearly the worst President the country has ever had.....and the most dangerous

Gayle in MD
02-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I couldn't agree more. This certainly isn't what you would call a "Kinder, gentler, America. I sure hope this president gets all that he so richly deserves.

Gayle

Drop1
02-19-2006, 08:33 PM
America and the Constitution is a thing of the past. Its time to write a Constitution that reflects the realities of our political system,and the globalization of information,and technology. I'm sure all self evident truths,are suspect in the minds of most citizens,and the desire to form a more perfect union rings no bell of Liberty.