PDA

View Full Version : What do you do before a tourney?

Karatemom
07-02-2002, 08:27 AM
Been shooting in local 9 ball tourneys for about a month now. I have slowly been improving each week except last night.

Coincidence or not, last night was the only night I did something different before the tournament than I have all the other tourney nights.

Just wondering if there are any pre-tourney routines out there, or am I just making excuses for not shooting well.

Heide ~ 1 out of the $ last week, nowhere near the $ this week.

Kato
07-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Heide, I'm fairly quirky but I don't know if I have set routines. I'm not superstitious when it comes to pool. I'm very superstitious on the softball field though.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
07-02-2002, 08:48 AM
I use to scope the room to see who I would have to beat for first place.. Now.. I scope the room to see who will have the best chance to finish 2nd.. LOL

JimS
07-02-2002, 09:56 AM
I do cue maintance, and check my stuff to see that I have everything I need with me: shaft slicker, tip-pik, tip shaper, chalk, Red Dot Q-Ball, towel, glasses for pool and lens cleaning papers, elastic strap for regular glasses (just in case?) spare pack of cigs & lighter, paper towels, Rolaids, Ibuprofen, bandaids, decongestant, book to read in between matches (lots of time to wait on winners side!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) roll of quarters, pennies for score keeping, moist toweletts to clean sticky hands while playing, notepad, pen, granola bar or two, cellphone turned off, hit 60 straight in (per Coach's instructions!). I have a check list...much like NASA before take off! Eat a light meal. After all is checked I do the most important part, I meditate.

07-02-2002, 09:57 AM
I never used to think about myself as supersticious but in vegas this year I was wearing a shirt that i had bought especially for vegas... I won my first 2 matches wearing this shirt then the next day i decided to try my team shirt and went to my match and lost.. I ran right back to my hotel room and put my other shirt back on..won my next 5 before losing again....I think tho that having little quirks like this can really do nothing to help me your mind is constantly looking for excuses to lose... you should never find reasons to lose only ways to win... people talk about things that distract them.. or slight rolls in the table costing them games.. I think its more about having too many goofy little thoughts running through your head that you cant focus totally on the
shot
just my opinion

07-02-2002, 09:59 AM
I meditate before any tournament.

Rich R.
07-02-2002, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I use to scope the room to see who I would have to beat for first place.. Now.. I scope the room to see who will have the best chance to finish 2nd.. LOL <hr></blockquote>
Tom, I like your thinking. Rich R.

Chris Cass
07-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Hi Heide,

This is a great post. It totally interests me. I'm all the way superstitous. I believe the mind needs this boost for confidence, and to block most negitive thoughts from creeping in. It's also fun.

I have a,
Pre-tourney routine,
Pre-match routine,
Pre-shot routine,
Also an acceptance speech.

Love,

Chris~~hasn't used the acceptance speech yet but waiting.LOL Also, the CCB is in that speech. LOL

Karatemom
07-02-2002, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> people talk about things that distract them.. or slight rolls in the table costing them games.. I think its more about having too many goofy little thoughts running through your head that you cant focus totally on the
shot
just my opinion <hr></blockquote>

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. I don't normally do much of anything before a match, just relax, do a little housework, etc.

Last night, I took a nap before the tourney started, and I also hit a few balls around just before the tourney started; two things I never do.

Also, another factor, was that I'm working on a stance that allows my follow through to follow straight through, and a different, more sturdy bridge.

Now I realize that tourney time is not the time to work on mechanics, but unfortunately, it seemed as though that was what I was doing. I just couldn't get anything together.

Thanks for the input.

Heide ~ not making excuses, I lost because I shot bad, but trying to make myself feel better about it, LOL. By the way Steve, smooooooth worked when I needed it!!!!!

PQQLK9
07-02-2002, 12:27 PM
I try to find a spot to build my nest with my cue holders (most places dont have any)and a safe place to put my case..last but not least I hide the ash tray.

07-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Gee whiz Jim, when do you find time to actually shoot?! ROFLMAO /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Elvis
07-02-2002, 10:18 PM
The book Playing Off the Rail mentioned playing mum pool, I think they called it. Play without talking at all. I tried it and it has worked great. Never realized how much chatter and joking around I did until then. Seems to help a great deal with the focus.

Karatemom
07-03-2002, 12:25 AM
Focus was my problem, but I never joke or kid around when I shoot, not even when I practice. In a tourney, the only things I say are "heads" and "nice game". I do, however, think to myself, which I won't repeat out loud, when I miss a shot, LOL. Thanks for the input.

Heide

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 12:44 AM
Honey,

Don't ever play poker like you shoot in tourney. We'll be broke. LOL

Love,

Chris

Kato
07-03-2002, 07:37 AM
You guys can't go broke until I get to ya!!!!!! Snake eyes, BUSTED!!!!!!

Kato

Karatemom
07-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Snake eyes? Since when do you use dice to play poker? LOL

Everyone has bad days, and Monday was mine. I tried to do too much all at once instead of concentrating on the shot I was on.

Heide ~ has a funny feeling I would win against Kato in poker, LOL