PDA

View Full Version : Curling Question

Fran Crimi
02-20-2006, 06:56 AM
So I decided to bite the bullet this year and watch 4 hours of curling coverage. After having done that, I think I need to reassess my role in life and what's wrong with me...

But nevertheless...not once did the commentators explain how the stones curl. All I kept hearing were comments like, "That should have curled but it didn't!" or "Oh, too bad...it curled too much at the end."

So what makes the stones curl? Are there slopes in the ice that they have to read or is it in the way they release the stones?

Fran

wolfdancer
02-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Fran,here's some info:
web page (http://www.curlingschool.com/manual/sweeping.html#Anchor-Why-35326)

Deeman3
02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
You gotta wonder who came up with this game? "O.K. we got this bog coffe pot that womone let cement harden in, we got a bunch of brooms moma picked up at Surplus City, we need a game."

"Let's get out on an icy lake bed, hurl these pots into the distance and, just to make it look like we are a busy and industrius lot, we'll run along in front of it sweeping at SPM's even McDonald's managers just dream of."

"Stupid? Hey it's not any worse than Swen laying down on that dumb board and sliding down the sluce at 90 MPH!"

Deeman

wolfdancer
02-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey, I'm intrigued by the game, googled and found out there are Curling clubs, and arenas in the area
I might be trading in my cue for a broom.....

SPetty
02-20-2006, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>SPM's<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Small Puny Minutiae??!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman3
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>SPM's<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Small Puny Minutiae??!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sweeps per minute /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

pooltchr
02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
They actually explained it on tv one day. Seems that the brooms moving at a rapid pace help lay a sheet of water (moving brooms/friction/heat/melt) that allows them to control the speed of the stone.
I'm still not sure I understand the game, but at least I know what they are doing with the brooms now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Steve

onepocketfanatic
02-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Being and old ex-bar room player, we used to play a lot of shuffle board when there was no one in the joint that wanted to play pool.
I really kind of enjoyed the curling, because to be a really GOOD shuffle board player takes a lot of touch (we used to play "horse collar" instead of the standard shuffle board game most people play). Leave it to someone in Texas to make up a game called "horse collar". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Of course in shuffle board, no one is sweeping ahead of the puck to control the distance, and the distance is quite a bit shorter.

Deeman3
02-21-2006, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketfanatic:</font><hr> Being and old ex-bar room player, we used to play a lot of shuffle board when there was no one in the joint that wanted to play pool.
I really kind of enjoyed the curling, because to be a really GOOD shuffle board player takes a lot of touch (we used to play "horse collar" instead of the standard shuffle board game most people play). Leave it to someone in Texas to make up a game called "horse collar". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Of course in shuffle board, no one is sweeping ahead of the puck to control the distance, and the distance is quite a bit shorter. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> And your beer doesn't freeze while your playing. </font color>