PDA

View Full Version : Which tip is the best?

tjlmbklr
02-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I play with Predator and correct me if I am wrong but these come standard with Le Pro. I thought I read in a old post that these tips are best for how this cue(shaft) performs I read a lot about Moori, Talisman, and Triangle. I am looking for med/hard and the best performance for my cue. Also if it helps this cue is strictly my playing cue idon't use it to break.

wolfdancer
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I bought a Predator, after hitting several of my friends...they were popular in the poolroom. When I got mine, it didn't hit anywhere near as well....it came with a LePro.
Everyone suggested a triangle tip, and that really changed the hit.....later on I went with an Everest med....and now all my cues have an Everest on them.
Just bought a Pechauer, and I haven't played with it for 1/2 hour yet....but I'll switch tips.
I've tried Mooris, Talismans......no problem with the Mooris, some delamination problems with the Talismans...which they have corrected, I heard.
Some LePros play great, some turn to mush.
I had my own lathe, and tip/ferrule repair service....but these are just personal observations. You'll have to try different tips out for yourself.
I'd go with the Triangle, or a layered tip.....
A LePro on a Predator is like Firestones on an Explorer....
The cues are great though....good choice

Sid_Vicious
02-20-2006, 07:02 PM
What hardness range do you prefer? If it is hard, no-brainer, the Moori. If not, Triangle. I've simply had too many problems with the Talisman, but I will say that they hold chalk well...sid

tjlmbklr
02-20-2006, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for med/hard and the best performance for my cue.<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
02-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Triangle...sid

ryushen21
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Moori 3 med/hard. by far the best tip on the market.

Wolven
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I have used LePro, Moori Hard and Soft on Predator Z and 314 shafts. Le Pro was terrible and mushroomed very quickly.
In fact my old very soft Elk Master tips hold shape better. Cannot go wrong with Moori and I will try medium soon.
My favorite tips in order are: Sniper Medium, Moori Soft, Moori Hard, Elk Master Soft, Sterling Medium, Le Pro Medium. Have not tried anything else.

For 20$ more Moori is worth it! Why they put the cheapest tip on a most expensive shaft is a mystery...

ryushen21
02-20-2006, 11:07 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the moori i use is on a predator 314 as well. I was lucky enough to get that as a stock combination when i ordered my cue.

mworkman
02-21-2006, 04:48 AM
I've used Lepro, Moori, and finally Everest. I think the Everest is the best. They are a little cheaper too. You can get them 3 for $25 at Muellers. I think they hold chalk better then a Moori. I don't misscue as much either or it could be that my stroke is getting better.

stickman
02-21-2006, 05:19 AM
In Med/Hard my picks are, Triangle non-layered, Everest layered, Morri med. layered. Everest is hard to beat in my opinion. However, there is little difference in the Morri, other than price. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shakeybake
02-21-2006, 05:33 AM
In my 47 years of playing, I have tried virtually every tip there ever was. The best,in my opinion, is the Sniper made by Tiger Products.

It's easy to blame a miscue on the tip. 90% of the time, it's your stroke ... not the tip.

PoolFool
02-21-2006, 06:48 AM
I have an Instroke Med on my 314. They cost $10 at Hawley's, where luckily, I can just drive by and pick one up any day. They perform as well (for me) as Moori's. They look identical to the old (3-4 years ago) Hercules tips.

PoolFool

Snapshot9
02-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I play with a layered Hercules medium hard tip, and like it very much. No mushrooming, last me 2-2 1/2 years, solid hit.

Rich R.
02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
As you can see from the other responses, there are many tip possibilities. There are also dozens more than have been mentioned. All of these tips are on the market because there are people who like them. There is no single best tip for everyone.

Whether you like the idea or not, to find the best tip for yourself, you are going to have to try a number of tips.

The best tip for YOU, is the tip YOU like the best.

Scott Lee
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shakeybake:</font><hr> It's easy to blame a miscue on the tip. 90% of the time, it's your stroke ... not the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

At LEAST 90%, if not more! For the record, I've never had any problems with my Talisman tips! They work great, and last forever (going on 3 yrs now, and I play every day, plus break with my playing cue).

Scott Lee

tateuts
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shakeybake:</font><hr> In my 47 years of playing, I have tried virtually every tip there ever was. The best,in my opinion, is the Sniper made by Tiger Products.

It's easy to blame a miscue on the tip. 90% of the time, it's your stroke ... not the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

I've also switched to a Sniper on my Predator shaft. I'm very pleased with it. It reminds me of the old Moori mediums, which were a little softer than today's version. I play mostly 9 ball and found them to be very consistent from tip to tip.

Chris

lukeinva
02-23-2006, 09:45 PM
The tip that is the BEST is the on that works for you! You can try them all if you want but if what you have on there is something you like keep it, if not try something else. Keep going through that process until you find something you like and stick with it!

Brad
02-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I have a Talisman Hard on my 314. I love it!

Cane
02-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I've used Moori Quick (hard) on my cues for a couple of years now, but recently changed one cue to Talisman Hards. Both are very durable and require almost no maintenance, but the Talisman are a bit softer than the Moori... that's the only issue I have with them.

Later,
Bob