PDA

View Full Version : Only been about 1 month and 2 weeks learning pool

jtlabs
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
It seems I finally learned to draw the ball the length of the table. Positions are OB at the 7th diamond, CB at the 3rd diamond(footspot)! I'm also getting better at judging distances. From what I read this is a major achievement since I learned it in such a short period of time and I seem to be doing it consistently. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well see next time when I go back to my pool hall.(I wish I had a table, I want to engrave this stroke in my muscle memory before I lose track of what I actually did right. Its funny just yesterday I was just venting my frustration, today I learned what I was doing wrong, not keeping my elbow up:)

It is important to note that I have been receiving BCA instruction from Mark Finkelstien in NY(thx again fran:)) and it has been tremendous on cutting down on the learning curve. I totally recommend BCA instruction to anyone who is struggling with their game or wants to learn the game.

Just thought I share my excitement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drop1
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Now you got fifty years to learn the rest.

rukiddingme
02-21-2006, 05:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Now you got fifty years to learn the rest. <hr /></blockquote>
Aint that the truth...lol
And there will be lots of peaks and valleys too!
It never fails... one day out of nowhere you can't draw anything, not even a picture...and then the next day you can. Such are the joys and frustrations of this wonderful game.
ruk

jtlabs
02-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Tomorrow I will know for sure if anything changed. I should be clear that it was not until the instructor pointed out that I was dropping and in some cases I was not following through properly. Once I got that under control, I then proceeded to stroke and add a little snap which provided massive spin on the ball. Once I understood the stroke, I had no problem drawing the ball as long as I controlled my speed, but like I said, we will see tomorrow if that was just beginners luck.

Billy_Bob
02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
The real test is to be in an 8-ball tournament (lots of blocking balls) and need to draw the cue ball back a specific distance like 1/2 diamond to get a shot on another ball. Or maybe need to draw back 2 feet in a different situation. And it is handy to have a straight in shot to the corner and draw the cue ball back to hit the rail and travel to the opposite end of the table.

My problem when first learning draw was I would get no draw or too much draw. So I practice daily (as part of my warm-up) drawing back 1 diamond, 2 diamonds, 3 diamonds, etc.

And this is good when playing in a tournament somewhere because there will be different speeds of cloth and cue balls in various conditions which will change the amount of draw you get.

jtlabs
02-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Well I put it to the "test" sought to speak at the pool hall, and I can draw the ball fine, I just have to keep doing it a lot so I can develop it for accuracy. So I am just going to dig up all the draw drills I can find and practice them all. Any recommendations?

Also I do have a problem getting enough draw speed on one particular shot. I am trying to draw it off the rail to point A.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AF4I2%PI4Q0%QR6M0%RO7X4%WG2K1%XH9P0%eB4b1%bS2O7%c N1[4%dH0J6

)END

As it is right now I can only get to point B.

Regards,
Jay

Billy_Bob
02-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Just do the following daily...

Line up 6 balls between the side pockets. Place the cue ball 1 diamond back from a ball, shoot the ball into the corner pocket and *try* to draw the cue ball back 1 diamond.

Next ball, place the cue ball in line with the next ball. *Try* to draw the second shot 2 diamonds back.

Then draw cue ball back 3 diamonds with 3rd ball, 4 with 4th, etc.

Last ball try drawing as much as you can.

And that is all there is to it. Just do the above every day as part of your daily warm-up.

At first I was not able to draw back a specific distance, sometimes could not draw at all, sometimes drew back too much. Etc.

Might want to do 12 balls a day for the first month. Then switch to 6 a day.

Over a period of about a year of doing this daily, you will become quite good at drawing back a specific distance. After about a year of this, start by drawing the ball 1/2 diamond instead of 1 diamond. You will be able to do it!

Chalk well before every single draw shot, especially around the sides of the tip. Inspect your tip under the light to be sure there are no dark spots. If you are scooping the ball instead of drawing, you probably did not chalk!

As far as drawing back and off the rail as in the wei diagram - Slow down! You can get a lot of draw with a medium stroke. The trick is follow through. Light grip. Don't kill the ball. Slow relaxed grip on cue - let cue do work - hit low - follow through until the tip of your cue is sent through the far wall! (Just kidding of course, but more follow through = more draw).

Try shooting very slowly and following through about 12 inches. See how much draw you can get with a very slow shot.

Billy_Bob
02-23-2006, 09:49 AM
P.S. Use a striped ball as the cue ball. Shoot the striped ball with draw at the far center diamond. Notice that it begins with a backwards roll, then slides, then begins a forward roll.

This is why it is difficult to draw back when there is a longer distance between the cue ball and the object ball.

Might want to also practice with just the striped ball. Try getting it to roll backwards all the way to the end of the table. Again tons of follow through, but in this case, add a bit of speed.

Just keep trying different things until you get backwards spin further and further. Light grip, hitting lower, more follow through, more speed, chalking well. Might want to change one thing at a time and see what happens.

Bob_Jewett
02-23-2006, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jtlabs:</font><hr> Well I put it to the "test" sought to speak at the pool hall, and I can draw the ball fine, I just have to keep doing it a lot so I can develop it for accuracy. So I am just going to dig up all the draw drills I can find and practice them all. Any recommendations?
<hr /></blockquote>
Sure. There are progressive practice drills in

http://www.sfbilliards.com/basics.pdf

and there are more drills in the articles at:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

But here is one I like: put three balls by the side pocket, in sort of a semi-circle, each about the same distance from the pocket. Start on one end and shoot the balls in order, drawing back on each shot for position on the next ball. If you can do three balls, try four. If you can do four, try five. When you have worked your way up to ten, you will have a pretty good feel for soft draw.