PDA

View Full Version : Sanction for disrespect?

cram
02-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Last sunday I was playing in a 8-ball tournament in Belgium.
In the semi-finals, one of the players (playing also snooker in an official club)was very nervous after missing shots and he suddenly and aggressively hurled his cue on the floor. His opponent was a 15-years very talented snooker player, playing in the honour league, and coming for the first time in this club. The aggressive player is himself a regular. Thinking that the people responsable of the tournament didn't see the scene (they were sitting in a corner of the local and there was no arbiter) I decided to inform them.
They respond to me that they had seen the scene and that it was not my problem. No remark was made to the aggressive player.
After the match, the aggressive player came to me and started to try to physically aggress me. He was calmed by some people and one of the responsible people said to me that it was 1/2 my fault and 1/2 his fault. Wath do you think about that?
Marc

loyter
02-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Pool is an odd game sometimes. To some people, it seems as if they think they get a free pass to behave however they want because of the locales that pool is generally played in.

Can you clear up for me why you stepped in? Was there some foul, or is there a rule against mis-treating your equipment?

Generally, I don't step into situations where players are in a volitile mood. Also, if there is no arbiter, then it is the responsibility of the players involved in the game to see that the game is played out fairly, so I might judge that you should have stayed out of it. However, if a fight is about to break out, then it's not really a question of pool.

OldieToo
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was very nervous after missing shots and he suddenly and aggressively hurled his cue on the floor. <hr /></blockquote> [ QUOTE ]
They respond to me that they had seen the scene and that it was not my problem. No remark was made to the aggressive player.
<hr /></blockquote> They, the tournament officials, are right. It was not your problem...unless you were laughing your ass off, like I would have been. [ QUOTE ]
After the match, the aggressive player came to me and started to try to physically aggress me. <hr /></blockquote> You should have taken his cue, that he is soooo fond of, and broke it over his head! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But, that's just me.

Steve Lipsky
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I am assuming he stepped in because obviously this guy's behavior was going to shark the 15-year-old, and the kid would have been too timid in that situation to speak up for himself.

- Steve

Bob_Jewett
02-21-2006, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cram:</font><hr> ... and one of the responsible people said to me that it was 1/2 my fault and 1/2 his fault. What do you think about that?
Marc <hr /></blockquote>
I think that the responsible people weren't taking care of their responsibilities.

Smashing things is a standard sharking technique. Sometimes it's unintentional. It is hard to play against crazy people. At a pool hall where I used to play, there was one player who used to talk to himself about cutting people (with his knife). He never mentioned which people, so I used to wonder whether I was in the cuttee group. It turns out that I wasn't.

It is the responsibility of the tournament officials to maintain conditions for fair play. Evidently the psychotic player is well known to them and his illness is recognized as harmless to others. Still, they should have said something to him.

As for him physically threatening you, that should get him kicked out of the club for a long time.

Buzzsaw
02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
We were in Las Vegas a couple of years ago for the VNEA Nationals and were watching a "gentleman" play for a fairly high playoff position when he got pissed off and through his cue stick into the audience. The stick actually ricocheted off of a few tables before it came to a rest about 50 feet from where he was playing. Fortunately, I wasnít in that area because I would have broken the stick over my knee and handed it back to him. Some of the people that were there knew him and said that he did it all of the time. It's one thing to be aggrivated with your play but when you start jeopardizing the health of the people around you you need to stop and re-evaluate the situation.

Rich R.
02-22-2006, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buzzsaw:</font><hr> We were in Las Vegas a couple of years ago for the VNEA Nationals and were watching a "gentleman" play for a fairly high playoff position when he got pissed off and through his cue stick into the audience. The stick actually ricocheted off of a few tables before it came to a rest about 50 feet from where he was playing. Fortunately, I wasnít in that area because I would have broken the stick over my knee and handed it back to him. Some of the people that were there knew him and said that he did it all of the time. It's one thing to be aggrivated with your play but when you start jeopardizing the health of the people around you you need to stop and re-evaluate the situation. <hr /></blockquote>
When you play bad, it is almost never the fault of your cue stick. Why make it suffer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FastJoey
02-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Too bad he didn't break his cue.

ChrisW
02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I am assuming he stepped in because obviously this guy's behavior was going to shark the 15-year-old, and the kid would have been too timid in that situation to speak up for himself.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>
I would agree if that was the case but, I read that as someone who has been playing for 15 years.
In which case I think he should have sat back and watched the comdedic antics. And if enough people are laughing at him he will either sit down and shut up or flip out and start swinging at anybody close enough to hit.

Whitey

PoolSharkAllen
02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Are there any penalties for engaging in this type of "unsportsmanlike conduct"? I took a quick look at the BCA rules and couldn't find anything.

cram
02-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Quote Steve Lipsky:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am assuming he stepped in because obviously this guy's behavior was going to shark the 15-year-old, and the kid would have been too timid in that situation to speak up for himself.

- Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would agree if that was the case but, I read that as someone who has been playing for 15 years.
In which case I think he should have sat back and watched the comdedic antics. And if enough people are laughing at him he will either sit down and shut up or flip out and start swinging at anybody close enough to hit.

Whitey

The guy is 15 years old *and* it was the first time he came there. Furthermore, he is an excellent snooker player (playing in a club, of course)and, for this reason, is not often confronted with such behaviors.
Marc

cram
02-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Loyter wrote:
Pool is an odd game sometimes. To some people, it seems as if they think they get a free pass to behave however they want because of the locales that pool is generally played in.

Can you clear up for me why you stepped in? Was there some foul, or is there a rule against mis-treating your equipment?

Generally, I don't step into situations where players are in a volitile mood. Also, if there is no arbiter, then it is the responsibility of the players involved in the game to see that the game is played out fairly, so I might judge that you should have stayed out of it. However, if a fight is about to break out, then it's not really a question of pool.

Marc:The question is not related to the mis-treating of the equipment, of course
but to the fact that a regular try to intimidate a new visitor.

There was not an *official* arbiter but the organisator of the tournament
was seeing the match and was unable to see the corner where the cue was
thrown. *I* estimate that it is *inadmissible* to let do such thinks without
even a remark.

And *I* didn't aggress him ...!

'The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of
those who look at it without doing anything' - Albert Einstein.

Marc

cram
02-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Quote Bob Jewett:
I think that the responsible people weren't taking care of their responsibilities.

Smashing things is a standard sharking technique. Sometimes it's unintentional. It is hard to play against crazy people. At a pool hall where I used to play, there was one player who used to talk to himself about cutting people (with his knife). He never mentioned which people, so I used to wonder whether I was in the cuttee group. It turns out that I wasn't.

It is the responsibility of the tournament officials to maintain conditions for fair play. Evidently the psychotic player is well known to them and his illness is recognized as harmless to others. Still, they should have said something to him.

As for him physically threatening you, that should get him kicked out of the club for a long time.

Bob Jewett

Thanks! Couldn't agree more.
Marc

Vagabond
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cram:</font><hr>He was calmed by some people and one of the responsible people said to me that it was 1/2 my fault and 1/2 his fault. Wath do you think about that?
Marc <hr /></blockquote>

Hi,
I do not know what the cultural values are in Belgium.Here in the USA we do not have uniform thinking on that matter and the opinions differ.some parts of USA some people say ``mind your own buisiness``, and if that dude is a big guy I say ``I saw nothing and I heard nothing``.If that guy is a small guy I then will report it like u did and try to preach morals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Cheers