PDA

View Full Version : best shaft

studdyhalllooser
02-21-2006, 07:54 AM
i read an advertisment that said they make the meucci black dot bullseye, meucci red dot, predator 314, predator z shaft, and the mcdermont i-1 2 and 3 shafts, for any production cue. i have a players butterfly sneeky pete. the shaft seems to flimsy for me. i tend to play better with my old walmart cue or on some nights a house cue. id prefer a much more stiff hit....can someone tell me a little about these shafts as i have only played with the red dot

Snapshot9
02-21-2006, 10:02 AM
You should check out the OB-1 shafts. I have seen a few good reports about it, and it is a stiff shaft.

ryushen21
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
The meucci shafts are like noodles to me. I love the predator 314 (it's what i currently shoot with) and the predator Z is not bad if you don't mind the small diameter. The McDermott shafts are nice and play pretty well.

Those are all the ones that i have played with. I have heard that the Tiger X shaft is supposed to be pretty stiff but i have not yet played with one.

CrownCityCorey
02-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Be sure to take a look at the Tiger "X" Laminated Shaft. Best hitting by far!

studdyhalllooser
02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> The meucci shafts are like noodles to me. I love the predator 314 (it's what i currently shoot with) and the predator Z is not bad if you don't mind the small diameter. The McDermott shafts are nice and play pretty well.

Those are all the ones that i have played with. I have heard that the Tiger X shaft is supposed to be pretty stiff but i have not yet played with one. <hr /></blockquote>

i love a thinner shaft on a cue. im a small guy with small hands so it helps tremendously when using a closed bridge. my first cue was an old cutec with a skinny snooker shaft and a super soft tip. it was skinny and solid. i loved that thing until my "friend" borrowed it, sold it, and moved away. (found out afterwards)

i was going to buy a new cue but it seems like 90 percent of the cost is from the butt and 10 on the shaft. im looking into getting a new shaft made for my sneaky pete. seeing how i dont care what a cue looks like it would be more economical to just get a good shaft and tip. debating on the predator z or the meucci bullseye black dot. from what people around here tell me thats my best bet for what i want

SPetty
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I'll butt in and "second" the OB-1 shaft recommendation. http://www.obcues.com

ALLENJK
02-22-2006, 05:38 AM
OB-1 hands down.

ryushen21
02-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Between those two, i would go for the Predator Z. If i had thought about it more, i would have used my friend's OB1 last night and had more input for you.

studdyhalllooser
02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
thanks for all the input guys. seems meucci is out of the question. i like the fact that the predator z has a smaller diameter. i have to do some more looking into on the ob-1. i dont make a whole lot so once i get one im not getting another for a while. have to be fully decided first. can you get an ob-1 with a smaller diameter?
thanks again,
Jay

IA8baller
02-23-2006, 07:20 AM
If you want to see independent test results on stiffness/deflection of shafts, go here- platinum billiards (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php)

lukeinva
02-23-2006, 08:53 AM
The best shafts are the ones that come with the cue! Unless of course its a players or something along those lines.

Bob_Jewett
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lukeinva:</font><hr> The best shafts are the ones that come with the cue! Unless of course its a players or something along those lines. <hr /></blockquote>
Well, the OP said it was a Walmart cue. Maybe one of those with the slip-on ferrule?

To answer the original question: if you are a relative beginner, I think you're much better off using house cues until your game improves to where you run out the table at least once each session. By that time you will have learned the ins and outs of using side spin. How you apply side spin is the main point of the new shafts you see on the market.

If possible, experiment with as many different cues as you can get your hands on. When it's time to buy a cue, make sure you get it somewhere you can shoot shots before you have to buy. Even within one brand, different shafts hit differently.

wolfdancer
02-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Does the OB-1 fit a walmart cue, and can you order one with a slip on ferrule?

lukeinva
02-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I was basically saying buy a cue for $200 instead of just a shaft. Why put a $200 shaft on a walmart or players cue?? Just doesnt make sense, go get a lucasi or mcderrmott or something along those lines heck you could even get a custom sneaky pete from a cue maker for $200.

IA8baller
02-24-2006, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lukeinva:</font><hr> Why put a $200 shaft on a walmart or players cue?? <hr /></blockquote>

.........because the shaft is the most important 1/2 of the cue, the butt is for looks only. If you have $$$ constraints, putting a good shaft on a cheap butt might be a viable option for some folks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bob_Jewett
02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote IA8baller:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote lukeinva:</font><hr> Why put a $200 shaft on a walmart or players cue?? <hr /></blockquote>

.........because the shaft is the most important 1/2 of the cue, the butt is for looks only. If you have $$$ constraints, putting a good shaft on a cheap butt might be a viable option for some folks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Besides, when the local hot-shots see the candy-stripe butt with the Budweiser stickers, they'll fall all over themselves to spot you the orange crush.

lukeinva
02-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Ok then since the butt is just for looks why dont you try just playing with a shaft see how that works out for you!

He didnt say he was going to try to hustle people sounds like he is new to pool. all these people always talking about shaft this and that, A walmart cue is a walmart cue no matter what the hell you say. It will still hit like crap even with a predator, yes it will hit better than the shaft that came with the cue but you could go and get pretty much any shaft and it will hit better than the shaft that came with the walmart cue.

Bottom Line: dont waste your money on just a shaft get a whole new cue! The hit is just not in the shaft, the butt section has just as much to do with the hit of the cue. If you dont think so ask Richard, Joel, Judd, Barry or any other top cue maker.

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2006, 08:29 AM
"Bottom Line: dont waste your money on just a shaft get a whole new cue!"

I had a need for a replacement OB1 after my pool case was crushed by cars on US75, and I decided to do just as you say, buy a whole cue. Royce has one in progress as I type, actually this is the first custom I have had made for myself, all the rest were second-hand cues, and if the butts weren't destroyed, I'd have gotten just the shaft. I'd definitely not have a specialized shaft made for a low end cue when the whole cue can be had for the added cost of what you are paying for the shaft itself. Be proud of your weapon and get a full cue, unless you happen to be fitting a higher end butt. Nuthin' beats the feeling of new wood, it'll be well worth it...sid