PDA

View Full Version : I need playing advice

Ohplayer
02-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I need advice on whether or not to switch from right-handed playing to left-handed. I have played a little over the years, but I was never any good. I recently bought a table and am trying to get better. However, I just learned that I'm left eye dominant. Should I switch to playing left handed now? Believe me, I don't have any game to lose right-handed. I'm just wondering if I would be better off in the long run. BTW, I'm 36.
Thanks

Jal
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm also cross-dominant and if you saw my game that might also convince you to switch. But according to an instructional tape by him, Jim Rempe is also cross-dominant. Several posters on various forums have reported being in the same situation with no obvious problem.

Apparently, a more difficult condition is when you have no dominant eye. Loree Jon Jones is like this and is prone to parallax errors, and must therefore counter this with judgement. But she's done pretty well nonetheless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopefully you'll get a more analytical response.

Jim

SPetty
02-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Just the fact that you're cross eye dominant is not a reason to change from playing right handed to playing left handed. As previously mentioned, there are a lot of people who play pool with an opposite dominant eye. And, there are varying degrees of dominance as well. Only if you're strongly left eye dominant should you even be pretending to consider the change.

Do you bowl left handed? Do you shoot guns left handed? Do you golf left handed?

If you are pretty much ambidextrous, then it might behoove you to try the change. If you're pretty much right handed, then you should probably stay right handed at pool.

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2006, 02:10 PM
The dominance orientation is not the determining factor, but I'd ask, "How's your left handed play when you try?" I'd stroke in some long straight in shots left handed, and hit some break shots left handed and decide from there. Hey, you never know where you might go from here. My left handed game ain't bad, I could adjust quickly if anything ever happens to my right side down the road...sid

supergreenman
02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Regardless of which eye is dominant or not, it's never a bad thing to be able to shoot both ways.

James

studdyhalllooser
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
i am right handed but have a strongly dominant left eye. i have noticed closing my right eye helps a lot. doing so has gotten me to move my head further right than most people so my left eye is above the shaft while playing. it helped me a lot.

Bob_Jewett
02-22-2006, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ohplayer:</font><hr> I need advice on whether or not to switch from right-handed playing to left-handed. I have played a little over the years, but I was never any good. I recently bought a table and am trying to get better. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Practice shooting with both hands. Stay with the one that works better.

But if you're serious enough to buy a table, you may want to get professional instruction. It may be that your current level of play has a lot to do with bad fundamentals. Another possibility is to video tape yourself while shooting. Compare your stance/stroke with the top players on TV. (Not all of them have good fundamentals, but you will probably be able to pick out the right things to do.)