PDA

View Full Version : Tip Repair in the Dallas Area

McKinneyMiner
02-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I tried to post this earlier, but it never posted.

I live in the Dallas area (McKinney, Plano) and need to have some tips put on my shafts and have some dents steamed out. I took the shafts to a local billiard store and they told me the only way to get dents out was to turn the shafts down (wrong).

Does anyone know of someone good that does this kind of thing near me?

Years ago there was a guy named Ben Tubbs that travelled around from pool hall to pool hall and did tips while you waited. He did really good work.

Anybody know how I can locate him or know of someone else that does something similar. I definitely don't want someone who is going to try and turn my shafts down, but I know there are people out there that do good work at a reasonable rate and won't hold my shafts for 2 weeks to get the job done.

Thanks in advance.

Deeman3
02-21-2006, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote McKinneyMiner:</font><hr> I tried to post this earlier, but it never posted.

I live in the Dallas area (McKinney, Plano) and need to have some tips put on my shafts and have some dents steamed out. I took the shafts to a local billiard store and they told me the only way to get dents out was to turn the shafts down (wrong).

Does anyone know of someone good that does this kind of thing near me?

Years ago there was a guy named Ben Tubbs that travelled around from pool hall to pool hall and did tips while you waited. He did really good work.

Anybody know how I can locate him or know of someone else that does something similar. I definitely don't want someone who is going to try and turn my shafts down, but I know there are people out there that do good work at a reasonable rate and won't hold my shafts for 2 weeks to get the job done.

Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">SPIDERMAN, in Plano. He will put a tip on your shaft that has no flaws visible to the human eye, will attract girls and beat the stewout of you on a bar table. Scanning electron microscope and all.....

No kidding. His work is beyond, beyond. Anal retentive but that's a good thing when someone has your shaft in their hands..... </font color>

Deeman

ryushen21
02-21-2006, 12:50 PM
The tip guy that i go to is a fellow poster on this board. I am not sure how he feels about other people advertising so i will wait to see if he comes across this post and sends you a PM or responds on his own. But his work is excellent.

How severe are the dents in your shaft? i know a trick or two to get dents out without having to use steam.

ryushen21
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
ok, i didn't see that Deeman had already posted ahead of me. So if SpiderMan gets pissed he can blame Deeman. But yes, SpiderMan is far better than any billiards store.

Deeman3
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> The tip guy that i go to is a fellow poster on this board. I am not sure how he feels about other people advertising so i will wait to see if he comes across this post and sends you a PM or responds on his own. But his work is excellent.

How severe are the dents in your shaft? i know a trick or two to get dents out without having to use steam. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Ryushen,

Too late, I've outted him! </font color>

McKinneyMiner
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Ry...

I have two seperate dents on the primary shaft. The cue hadn't been played with in almost 9 years before I took the game up again about 6 months ago.

The first one is a small curved line (about 1" maybe)that looks like someone gouged it with the edge of a paper clip or something. It is right at the base of the shaft near the collar and extends upward.

The other one I recently got at a local tournament when someone smacked their cue against mine trying to get by me. It is maybe an 1/8" wide, but a little deeper than the other one.

I would love for both shafts to be smooth again. Like I said they haven't been played with much in years and they should have some good aging to 'em!

Thanks for you help.

McKinneyMiner
02-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Where can I locate Spiderman?

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2006, 01:12 PM
BEWARE: Spiderman, like Superman, is on the way. Expect a PM/e-mail soon...sid

littleCajun
02-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I would also recomend royce burnell, He is one of the owners of OB cues. He does great work as well you can contact him at rbunnell@obcues.com

McKinneyMiner
02-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I thought about Royce, but the closer to the McKinney/Plano area the better and isn't he in Arlington or Ft. Worth?

Also, I am sure he is incredibly busy with the shafts and I'd like to have the work done in a day or so.

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Most dents can be removed by taking a syringe with water and applying a drop right on the dented area, then allowing it to sit and swell the wood. I have removed a lot of dents this way, and some required several iterations of the technique. The one you mention near the collar will be a real challenge though, cuz there's an overcoat on that region so water won't get in adequately....sid

McKinneyMiner
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> The one you mention near the collar will be a real challenge though, cuz there's an overcoat on that region so water won't get in adequately....sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid...

Actually I am quite lucky here. Back in the day I hated to have any kind of finish on my shafts so both of them do not have the protective coating (probably why I go the dent in the first place).

BTW, you know me... Former teammates and all...

SPetty
02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I, too, can recommend Spiderman, but you were also asking about Ben Tubbs. I think he still goes to C.J.'s and does work there. If you want him to do the work, you can call C.J.'s and see when he's expected.

SpiderMan
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
McKinneyminer,

I'll be playing in the tournament tonight at Sterling's in Carrollton, SE corner of Frankford and Midway. If you want to drop off your shafts tonight I can have the tips done by tomorrow night.

Ben Tubbs moved his base of operations to Rack Daddy's on Abrams, but I'm not sure what nights he's in there. Also, this store recently changed hands, so I'm not certain Ben still has a home. He's been gone from CJs for a year or so. Ben can do your tips while you wait, but I don't think he does any steaming of dents, just sanding/cleaning.

I'll send you a PM and email, if you listed your address.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Anal retentive but that's a good thing when someone has your shaft in their hands..... </font color>
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Now that's a straight line if I've ever heard one!

SpiderMan

Deeman3
02-21-2006, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Anal retentive but that's a good thing when someone has your shaft in their hands..... </font color>
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I just knew you'd catch that one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Now that's a straight line if I've ever heard one!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
All that Alabama heat is going to your head...

What a line to leave a Texan!

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
PM me, I'm clear as mud about who you are...sid

Scott Lee
02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I'll chime in with everyone else! Spiderman's work is excellent! Go with a winner!

Scott Lee

McKinneyMiner
02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks to all who steered me towards SpiderMan.

He is currently in possession of my playing shaft and I eagerly await the chance to play with it in league tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

OldieToo
02-22-2006, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ben Tubbs moved his base of operations to Rack Daddy's on Abrams, but I'm not sure what nights he's in there. Also, this store recently changed hands, so I'm not certain Ben still has a home. He's been gone from CJs for a year or so. Ben can do your tips while you wait, but I don't think he does any steaming of dents, just sanding/cleaning.
<hr /></blockquote> Ben Tubbs is still at CJ's. Or at least he was last thursday night. (and every other night I have been there in the last few years.)

Here is his numbers...

Pager# 214-786-9609
Work# 214-373-6016

Of course, like Spiderman says, the "work" number for Ben is Rack Daddy's business number.