PDA

View Full Version : Practice Drills

07-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Anyone have any ideas for some good practice drills?
Thanks.

Karatemom
07-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Tom in Cincy wrote a post on 6/8 with a link to some good drills that I have used quite a bit. Hope this helps.

Heide

Michelle
07-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Well, I learned a lot of really good ones...at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.poolschool.com> pool school, </a> so I probably should not pass them all on here. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
07-02-2002, 11:34 AM
From a post on June 8th, 2002

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
I just updated my drills and template page on my website.

Couple of new drills and an easier format. I would appreciate any feedback.. Thanks

http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314/Templates_and_Drills.html
<hr></blockquote>

PQQLK9
07-02-2002, 11:43 AM
http://www.wbom.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=nadine

Karatemom
07-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Just wanted to tell you that your drills helped out alot. I have a set routine of drills to practice, and I include the ones you've posted. Thanks!!

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
07-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the nice words Heide.. and you are very welcome.

07-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Anyone have any ideas for some good practice drills?
Thanks

I play several drills to hone different parts of my game using draw, follow, stop, drag, and hard shots.

In a two hour practice session I think it's good to not just concentrate on one thing. Pool is a game where it really helps to be good at all aspects.. combos, caroms, banks, long shots, difficult shots.

As for specific drills, there are too many to mention, but I think a good one for all around position and shotmaking skills is to put out all 9 balls on the table (don't break, just put them out so they are spaced apart) and take ball in hand and see how many times you can run out. If you miss, you can either take ball in hand again and start over, try to play a safety on yourself, or restart... depending on where you think you to improve the most on.

Here are some things to work on while you are practicing:
Short roll safeties
Long roll safeties
Tieing up balls together
Breaking clusters apart
draw shots from 2" to 9' or more
follow shots from a stun through couple inches to 9' or more
carom shots
tiki shots
bank shots
speed control shots
long off angle shots
shooting off the rail
shooting over a ball
masse around a ball
jump shots
kick shots
super soft shots
super hard shots
..any probably alot more

All the while, work on your stroke delivery and finesse. Forget about who might be watching (if anyone) and work on playing like you know how to play. Work on your pre-shot routine, stance, and sighting. Make minor adjustments here and there if needed, and don't forget to choke up on your cue for more delicate safeties or for better accuracy.

Good luck, it's alot of work.

MikeM
07-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Here's another site with some good drills.

MM

http://www.barenada.com/pool.shtml

07-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Get yourself a copy of Bert Kinister's 60 minute workout, and copy all the shots onto index cards. It's pretty much all you'll need for the next couple of years! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
07-03-2002, 06:49 AM
Good morning:

I am in the final stages of publication of a book of drills. This book will feature over 250 different drills. For additional information please E-Mail me directly.

Dr. D.

cuechick
07-03-2002, 08:08 AM
This is something I have been doing recently to improve my pattern play. It is for 9 ball, rack and break. I then remove 3 balls from the table (if any went on the break those count as long as I am left with 6 balls).
I then take ball in hand and try and run out. If I miss, I start over.
When I run out 5 tables, I then take 2 balls off and aim for 3 run outs...I find it helps me to look at the entire table and see my run from the 9 back...

=k=
07-03-2002, 10:56 AM
hello tom as usal your information is great.. i bookmarked your site and will check it out often.

07-03-2002, 10:57 AM
i am a recent convert to this Equal Offense variation. a great benifit of this variation is that one may play on coin tables as made break balls are not spotted. during the course of play all manner of shots are required so one gets a well rounded practice session. the main benifit is that one may keep reasonably accurate tabs on skill level..which is a very difficult thing to measure in pool. you can compare your score with thousands of others online, including many local players. i've been happily using this now for a few weeks and my pool friends and i use this in non-wager competion against each other. i am one of those that gets really bored with practise sessions. it seems i have little motivation to try set variations and the like. Q-skill sessions give me point feedback and genuine motivation to improve my score. after weeks including even a few 6 hour plus sessions i'm still still not bored and shooting this way has yet to become routine. the big reason i recommend this?: my shooting has improved and i have a semi accurate measurment to base this opinion on.
best regards,
^v^

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2002, 11:33 AM
This is another good site with some good drills and lots of good explanations of Pool. http://www.billiardworld.com/1998bw.html

07-03-2002, 11:43 AM
It seems that the practice drill that I use the most is just hitting straight in shots with as close to center as possible, with various distances from the pocket. This definetely helps with my stroke.

07-03-2002, 12:05 PM
by the way i never properly thanked you for your reply to my similar question a few months ago. your recommended Q-skill sessions i practice have made a notable improvement on my game. i am placing third in local tournaments with the near same frequency from five years ago. sincere thanks.
best regards,
^v^

TomBrooklyn
07-03-2002, 02:03 PM
What I've done is take all the ideas for drills that I can and then used the ones that were applicable to my skill level and what I wanted to work on. Some I've modified to suit the foregoing.

You didn't indicate anything about your skill level, so you may already know these; but in case you don't, probably the most basic drill involving two balls is designed to practice the most important shot in pool, the stun shot. Place the CB and OB a foot apart, shoot the OB into the pocket and make the CB stop where it hits. Then do it with different distances between the CB and OB.

The next most basic drill that I know of is to repeat the above trying to follow with the CB, and thirdly, to draw the CB. Again, use different distances between the CB and the OB, except this time try to follow and draw different predictable amounts from each amount of separation.