PDA

View Full Version : About to order custom pool glasses - any advice ?

Snyder1
02-24-2006, 04:47 AM
From the research I've done, seems a company called Decot makes prescription sport glasses (called "HyWyd") that may work well for playing pool. I wear typical smaller frames today & notice quite a bit of distortion looking through the very top of the lense when bent over a pool table ... I expect these larger custom glasses will help. Any info about Decot or perhaps other companies that make similar sporting glasses would be appreciated - thanks.

John

Rich R.
02-24-2006, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> Any info about Decot or perhaps other companies that make similar sporting glasses would be appreciated - thanks. <hr /></blockquote>Although I have never used them, I have know players who have used the Decot glasses and they swear by them.

Fran Crimi
02-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Pro player Howard Vickery has been wearing special glasses for pool for years. He's in Columbus Ohio. Maybe you could find a way to contact him and ask him what he uses.

http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/photos/vickery9sml.jpg

Scott Lee
02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Snyder1...Randyg, who posts here all the time, also is a dealer for these specialized pool glasses, and uses them himself. I don't know if they are the Decot brand, or another, but you can contact him and see what he offers.

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Rich, these were originally shooting glasses. I know several players that used and liked them.
It doesn't seem to make much difference in cost, if you buy the frames, and take them to your optician, or buy them from the optician.
I wear glasses, and we get some distortion from looking through the lens at an angle, when we are in our playing stance. The large frame and high nose bridge help out.
Decot was the choice in my old area.
If you buy the ones pictured below...be sure to tell them which is your dominant eye.....

http://www.champion-brillen.ch/images/center.jpg

Cane
02-24-2006, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> From the research I've done, seems a company called Decot makes prescription sport glasses (called "HyWyd") that may work well for playing pool. I wear typical smaller frames today &amp; notice quite a bit of distortion looking through the very top of the lense when bent over a pool table ... I expect these larger custom glasses will help. Any info about Decot or perhaps other companies that make similar sporting glasses would be appreciated - thanks.

John <hr /></blockquote>

Until I had my Lasik Surgery, I used Decot HyWyd's. They were great. The key is to have your opthalmologist write you a script for intermediate vision, which will probably be a bit different than your normal perscription. I know a few players that use them, as Scott noted, RandyG (yes, he uses HyWyd's) and to a man, they find them to be money well spent.... but... lasik beats them all to hell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

slow_roller
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I like the HyWyd's as well, which I've had for a couple years. I normally wear blended trifocals, but didn't want to spring for that in my pool glasses. My eye doctor said I was best off just using my distance prescription (though I asked him about something more intermediate), and I think the results are good--I feel they're sharp from the 20 inches on out. I wouldn't play without them, though they still sometimes are not quite high enough when I bend down real low. I also find them good for bike riding, and they'd probably be good for some other sports as well. Not safety lenses, though.

Snyder1
02-25-2006, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> From the research I've done, seems a company called Decot makes prescription sport glasses (called "HyWyd") that may work well for playing pool. I wear typical smaller frames today &amp; notice quite a bit of distortion looking through the very top of the lense when bent over a pool table ... I expect these larger custom glasses will help. Any info about Decot or perhaps other companies that make similar sporting glasses would be appreciated - thanks.

John <hr /></blockquote>

Until I had my Lasik Surgery, I used Decot HyWyd's. They were great. The key is to have your opthalmologist write you a script for intermediate vision, which will probably be a bit different than your normal perscription. I know a few players that use them, as Scott noted, RandyG (yes, he uses HyWyd's) and to a man, they find them to be money well spent.... but... lasik beats them all to hell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Bob - I'm glad Lasik worked out for you, but to me, it's always seemed like operating on a healthy eye is an unnecessary risk ... there's always a chance it'll go wrong &amp; whats more important to anybody than their vision. I've wore glasses my entire adult life &amp; am used to them, so lasik isn't for me. I just ordered the Decot's ... I'll let everybody know how they work out (I'm so looking forward to actually seeing the edges of the balls again ...)

John

Snyder1
02-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks everybody for your input ... it put me over the edge &amp; I just ordered a pair of Decot's. I'm very anxious to see how they work - will post a review in a few weeks when they arrive.

John

Bob C
02-25-2006, 09:59 AM
I have been wearing Decots with a mid-range prescription for 2 years now and find they are as advertised. They fit well and are lightweight. A couple of months ago my cue case fell on them (it's a long story) while the glasses were in a neoprene case and one of the lenses broke into about 8 pieces. The replacement was $65. So if you get them, even though the lenses are plastic, they are not unbreakable.

NBC-BOB
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
When I started needing glasses I had a pair custom made, with large frames,for playing pool.Now I use my everday glasses, which have a progressive lense's, and they really help me a lot.Also I recommend that you get the nonglare coating,on whatever you get, otherwise the lights from adjacent tables will drive you crazy.At least with the progressive lenses, your vision will be even across the table. good luck bob