PDA

View Full Version : chalk adhesion

jezza6361
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
having recently bought an american pool cue,i would like to know how i can get my tip to accept more chalk as nothing i do seems to work !!!

Billy_Bob
02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Well I think the goal should be to always have a consistent amount of chalk on the tip. Then the tip will play the same at all times.

I use a sandpaper tip shaper which is made from plastic water or electrical pipe cut in half and about 8 inches long. Then 220 grit sandpaper held to the inside curve with my thumb. Then lightly sand back and forth while slowly rotating cue.

I will lightly sand my tip about once a week. I also use a Moori Q (hard) tip which seems to give me the best results.

Here is a picture of my sandpaper tip shaping tools which are U.S. Quarter, nickel, and dime shapes...
(Bottom picture)
http://www.geocities.com/billybobnospam/pr.html

Bob_Jewett
02-24-2006, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jezza6361:</font><hr> having recently bought an american pool cue,i would like to know how i can get my tip to accept more chalk as nothing i do seems to work !!! <hr /></blockquote>
Some tips just don't work right. Even roughing their surfaces helps for only a short while if at all. Maybe you need a new tip.

Some chalk is really bad. Even in pool halls, sometimes the chalk is really bad. "Master" is one of the good brands, usually. Sometimes you have to prepare the chalk before it works right.

Get some #200 sandpaper. Remove the top surface of the tip -- maybe half a millimeter. Shape it so it is a nice round dome with the curvature of the tip of your thumb, or a five-cent-piece if you happen to be in the US. The shaping process itself should leave the tip ready to take chalk.

Maybe you aren't applying the chalk right. If you are one of the players who tend to bore a hole into the chalk, you are doing it wrong. You should not use the bottom of the hole in the chalk to chalk your tip.

If the tip gets shiny, you can make your own tool to rough the surface: glue a small sheet of #120 sandpaper to a small board (3X5 inches, for example). Do not scrape the tip with this board!!! Roll the board across the tip to leave the impression of grit in the leather of the tip. Or, you could spend $20 or so on a special tool that does the same thing but not as effectively.