PDA

View Full Version : wrist twist?

Mitch
02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
ok should or shouldn't you twist your wrist slightly after completion of your stroke?????
whats the benefits of both???
thanx..

IA8baller
02-24-2006, 03:29 PM
For the majority of newer players I would suggest not twisting your wrist as it could become a problem in your stroke if you were to twist your wrist at any time before impact of the cue ball, therefore possibly affecting the hit (probably more deflection to deal with). Why add another variable to the equation is what I'm trying to say. There are some very good players that have a wrist twist, but they have probably done it the same way for so long that they are used to how it affects their hit/deflection. This is my suggestion/opinion, but you know what some say about opinions /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Deeman3
02-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I can't think of a single reason in the world to twist your wrist before, during or after a stroke, If you must twist a wrist, twist your opponent's wrist.

Deeman

Cane
02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mitch:</font><hr> ok should or shouldn't you twist your wrist slightly after completion of your stroke?????
thanx..
<hr /></blockquote>

After the completion of your stroke? Absolutely no benefit. The cue ball is already gone, so a wrist twist after the stroke serves no purpose than to put useless motion in your stroke. Problem could be, what if you accidentally twisted BEFORE you hit the cue ball... major malfunction, then. I'd keep the wrist twist completely out of the equation.

Later,
Bob

Scott Lee
02-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Mitch...There are no advantages to twisting your wrist, at any time. There are distinct disadvantages to doing so, which have been mentioned. There are NO top pro players who twist their wrist when shooting (flicking the wrist, aka a slipstroke is not a twist).

Scott Lee

Snapshot9
02-25-2006, 06:09 AM
I think this is a self rationalization .... lol He found out he is twisting his wrist, and now is trying to receive justification for it instead of correcting it .... lol

Have you heard of my 'Dirt' method? It stands for 'Do it Right, Turkey'....

Cornerman
02-25-2006, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mitch:</font><hr> ok should or shouldn't you twist your wrist slightly after completion of your stroke?????
thanx..
<hr /></blockquote>I don't see any benefit, but since so many people do it, it must be a natural motion of their wrist to collapse when using side-spin. Especially if they have a cue throwing stroke and need to grab the cue at the end to prevent it from launching across the room, I can see the wrist tending to "tuck."

Fred

Fred

c.holtz009
02-25-2006, 07:44 AM
I used to have a very bad habit of twisting my wrist on my shot stroke. It used to cause me to pull my back hand in towards my body, and caused the tip to go to the right, putting right english on everything. Terrible habit. I'm glad I fixed it.

Brian in VA
02-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Quote Fred:

I don't see any benefit, but since so many people do it, it must be a natural motion of their wrist to collapse when using side-spin. Especially if they have a cue throwing stroke and need to grab the cue at the end to prevent it from launching across the room, I can see the wrist tending to "tuck."

I think you're spot on Fred. When I grip the cue too tightly with my hand, the natural tendency for me it to twist my wrist under sending the tip to the right. I can tell when my grip is right because I finish straight through. When I get tense or my brain cramps /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif is when it's most prevalent. Part of my pre-shot now involves saying "loose grip" to myself.

Brian in VA