PDA

View Full Version : CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL

9ball_master
02-25-2006, 04:04 AM
In the WPA/BCA rules there is a rule regarding a cue ball in hand foul;
[ QUOTE ]
3.40 CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL
During cue ball in hand placement, the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion of the cue stick contacting the cue ball will be considered a foul if not a legal shot.
<hr /></blockquote>

My qustion is,I have 'ball in hand' and I drop it to the floor or into a pocket, is that a foul?
I could not find anything related to this situation

Brian in VA
02-25-2006, 06:29 AM
My understanding is that, as long as you aren't making a stroke with the cue with the intention of hitting the cue ball at the time, dropping it on the floor, into a pocket and the like is not a foul. Not sure about if you hit any balls on the table with it though. Anybody?

Brian in VA - learning that BCA rules are tougher than the rules of golf.

Mark Avlon
02-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Dropping the cue ball into a pocket or on the floor would not be a foul.

If the cue ball touched a ball that is in play, then it would be a foul.

Billy_Bob
02-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I think the thing which helps the most when reading rules is to keep in mind the "intention" of the rules.

It is not the intention of the rules to knock players out of the game or cause them to lose their turn due to nit picky things they do which are not related to play on the table.

I think it is the intention of this rule that once the ball is in play (because you have made a hit with your cue), then that is that - no second hitting of cue ball or chances to hit allowed.

And what is fair play. I suppose you could hit the cue ball, then the cue ball bounces back, and you hit it again sending it off in a different direction. A double hit.

Or you may lightly hit the cue ball with not enough force. Well that is that. No second chances.

There are signs on stores which say "shirts and shoes required". Does this mean you can go into the store without any pants on? The intention of the rule is that you wear shirts, shoes, *and* pants.