PDA

View Full Version : Predator is THE Cue

9 Ball Girl
07-02-2002, 12:34 PM
http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=257

Tom_In_Cincy
07-02-2002, 12:38 PM
I am wondering how much Predator is spending to get this promotion?

GOLD, Solid GOLD
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$
http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/admin/editor/images/editor/images/Predator%20logo%20web.jpg
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$

Cueless Joey
07-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Heck, don't they sell 40,000 shafts a year now?
They can afford me. LOL

07-02-2002, 09:08 PM
(gales of laughter) This should really burn Harold's ass!

jjinfla
07-03-2002, 04:32 AM
What kind of tip does Predator put on their 314? I replaced mine with a Tiger and now all of a sudden swerve/squirt/curve is back and I have to relearn my aiming techniques. Jake

07-03-2002, 04:49 AM
I hope it's ok that I copied this recent post below to answer your question. Oh wait a minute. This is talking about the Predator Break Cue. Maybe Griff also knows what Predator is using on their regular cues.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;
snip:
Predator BK Reply Quote

I should receive my Predator BK today. I talked to Predator and they said the cue does not come with the Moori Hard tip as advertised anymore.

They have contracted with Tiger Products to make an "extremely hard tip" just for the BK. I will try it out today after work. I am sure it will help make my breaking better than using my old stick.

Griff
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;

griffith_d
07-03-2002, 07:17 AM
Predator usually uses a Le Pro,..Moori as an option.

Griff

Kato
07-03-2002, 07:27 AM
It took me about 9 seconds to have my Predator tip changed from a LePro to a Triangle. Heck, Dennis Searing replaced it for me without me even asking.

Trust me when I tell you that while I play with Predator it is in no way, shape, or form my dream cue.

Kato

07-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Hi Kato. I havn't used a Preditor shaft now for about a year. Hasn't slowed me down a bit. So i can't say it was "predator" that made the game for me. All's i know is the solid maple shaft i've got now has the "life" and feedback that my Pred. did not......and then there's those grafite fiberglass abominations! LOL Don't get me goin on those. Predator did a brilliant sales job though. And yes it deflects less. St (thinks the whole mess started when different tapers were invented just to acommidate a looped bridge) Although i must say that in that regard the Pred shaft hits more like a one peice while still maintaining a long taper. My only real knock (and this is just specific to me) is that i have very large hands and the pred. just felt like a toothpick in it.

PS Reduce your tip size from 13 mm to 12.75mm like pred did and you will get more gear no matter what the shaft is made of. I think that's what sells a lot of them too, smaller tip, more action. You just need to know how to use what you've got. That's all there is about a cue. LOL St

07-03-2002, 12:30 PM
well i do have to admit i'm a reluctant predator convert. i bought a predator shaft years ago at a New Orleans trade show that i never really took to. mine has more than 10 splices and by my count 12. after reading so many pro-Predator msgs. on here i tried it again and still didn't like it very much. as some of you may remember i posted many the question about these shafts and my plans to buy the newer 10 splice version. a friend of mine recently bought a predator cue so i got a chance to evaluate it more comfortable that for just a few shots from a league acquaintance or in the only local predator showroom. for some effemeral undescribable reason my banks are dead center no wriggle sunk with adaptable english on or off dead on with this cue. i do dearly hope it's the shaft and the not whole cue and logic tells me this has to be the case as it has a stainless steel joint. banks and kicks have always been the weak points of my game along with either draw or vector english, one or the other and only one at any given time. there is something to this predator hoopla. i've recently read that shafts like mine are "collectable" mine shoots terribly in comparison to the current models. anyone want to buy a 12 splice predator? e-mail me with offers please. i will definitley accept trades from more reputable posters. still though in closing i have a shaft made 7 years ago by a local luthier that no longer has a lathe that hits even better. Predator summed: for a mass produced item i feel the predator shaft can have more impact to one's game, especially an intermediate player than any other production item. there i said it. the idea annoys me but after a week shooting with a borrowed cue i have to give in. this fact and the previous post of another leads me to yet another question: i like a moori medium tip with red fibre backing. moori med with red fibre are on all of my more liked shafts. probably more superstitious than scientific but i do prefer and am comfortable with this set up. will this harm the performance of a predator? as suggested more squirt? i guess that question deserves a seperate post.
ok, ok, predator products, although mass produced, are good.
^v^

Michelle
07-03-2002, 02:27 PM
I have found that my 314 plays GREAT with a Moori medium tip -- you get the minimal deflection with the shaft, but the "grab" the tip gives definately improved my english play.

07-03-2002, 02:40 PM
Predator uses a lepro tip or was the last time i sold a shaft from them ...... Q-BALL

cheesemouse
07-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Lorri,
Harold must be wearing his straight jack. LOL LOL

07-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Hee Hee Hee! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Harold Acosta
07-03-2002, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: redwinebluebird:</font><hr> i've been following the predator shaft posts over the past few months pretty intensly while adding a few of my own. i suspect the reason i've been so hesitant to just buy a new one is that i already have an older version and never liked it. also in taking a few hits on occasion from other playes i shot terribly. i did and still like the feel of the hit fo these shafts but ne'er did well in sinking the balls and that is the point isn't it? <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr>
Seriously, my normal playing stick is a Schon with Schon shafts and Moori MH on both shafts. I acquired a Predator a while back and have tried at various times to switch to it. It never seemed right. I probably didn't give it enough time but I have been unable to adjust to the "no deflection" hit of the Pred. I recently had a Soft Talisman Pro installed on the Pred. shaft. Much better, but I still have returned to my Schon with Moori setup. So, for me it doesn't seem to matter what tip I have on my Predator it just doesn't feel as good as the Schon with Mooris. Hope this helped.

MM...now my fingers are tired <hr></blockquote>

You see Lorri, I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Predators. I do have to say that our truffles have spiked the interest of a few dislikers like me to give the Predator another chance; however, in my particular case, I just plain don't believe in the hype of the cue or shaft, so I'll stay with my Schon and Lucasi.

Now, who's having the last laugh??

I just love this freaking forum....

07-03-2002, 07:45 PM
God Harold, you are such an a$$hole. You just don't get it do you? It's not about the last laugh, it's not about who's right or wrong, there isn't even a right or wrong to be had here! And as far as your childish last laugh challenge, I'd hardly call two negative posts out of hundreds of positive ones the last laugh. But I digress. The point is Harold, everyone knows you hate Predators. Big freaking deal. Don't play with one. Sell the one you've got on EBay. No one cares. But stop telling those of us who love our Predators that we are lemmings who have fallen for a slick ad campaign. None of us here are that stupid Harold, and frankly, we're beginning to resent your insinuations.
I will once again remind you Harold that we share opinions on this board. You've rammed yours down our throats quite enough, don't you think?

jjinfla
07-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I put the Preditor 314 on my McDermott. The McDermott probably was in the $175 to $250 range but not sure. It was given to me. The match of the two is not good and there is a noticeable difference there. So what I am saying is that my Mc-Pred cue is not exactly what one would call a work of art. Although it does look nice and serves my purpose for now. Is that what the 314 shaft is designed for? The mid range of low cost cues? Or do people ever put it on a cue that sells over $1,000? Somehow, doing that seems like a travesty to me. Jake

Harold Acosta
07-04-2002, 09:54 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lorri:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; God Harold, you are such an a$$hole. You just don't get it do you? It's not about the last laugh, it's not about who's right or wrong, there isn't even a right or wrong to be had here! And as far as your childish last laugh challenge, I'd hardly call two negative posts out of hundreds of positive ones the last laugh. But I digress. The point is Harold, everyone knows you hate Predators. Big freaking deal. Don't play with one. Sell the one you've got on EBay. No one cares. But stop telling those of us who love our Predators that we are lemmings who have fallen for a slick ad campaign. None of us here are that stupid Harold, and frankly, we're beginning to resent your insinuations.
I will once again remind you Harold that we share opinions on this board. You've rammed yours down our throats quite enough, don't you think? &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Lorri, I'm quite pleased that I have gotten on your nerves! Can you for once give a civilized reply? You're calling me an a$$hole and you're acting like a bitch.

You definitely cannot take a punch, and have called me names and gone personal, which I have not done unless provoked.

Just read the post from jjinfla. He also has some troubles with the Predator.

Now definitely I have to think that the stupid one is you! I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but now I'm convinced that stupid people, specially you, should not post here.

Go ahead and slam me again with another stupid reply...

You probably cannot "comprehend".

Bye, bye, my dear!

griffith_d
07-04-2002, 10:16 AM
People, let's calm down about which cue is better. All CNC cues are accurate (such as robots welding cars versus humans). Humans can make a great,good,average,poor and crappy in any brand of cue.

Most all cue manufacturer use the same machines (there are only so many lathe manufacturers). I am a woodworker, for a hobby, and make some nice furniture (entertainment centers, chest of drawers, wooden boxes) and I know about wood a little.

Cues are made of wood, albeit Cuetec, and what makes a good cue is the quality control,....which cue happens to turn out the best can happen in any brand.

Usually the way a cue shoots is all in the shaft, not the butt. The butt is for show and tell.

I have a Meucci HOF-1 to play with, with a Le-Pro MH. It plays fine, but I have gotten so many slams about it. I just recently purhased the Predator BK, which Lorri knows,...it has a extremely hard Tiger tip. It obviously comes with the 314,...it has no bad "sound", it hits hard and it breaks the balls up great. But, I would say only a little better than my HOF-1. But, I don't break with my playing stick.

Soooooooo, people, all sticks can be good or bad,....it's only a matter of what a person sees in a butt.

Griff

07-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Lorri, I'm quite pleased that I have gotten on your nerves! Can you for once give a civilized reply? You're calling me an [censored] and you're acting like a bitch.

Carl would like everyone to know that he has checked thoroughly, and can find no 'nerve damage' or subcutaneous growths! LOL /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif