PDA

View Full Version : Stroketrainer

sappo
02-25-2006, 06:13 PM
does anyone have anything bad to say about the stroketrainer? im considering buying one. thanks

SPetty
02-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi sappo,

Have you done a "search" for stroketrainer on this site? It's been discussed a bit in the past...

HALHOULE
02-26-2006, 04:50 AM
I consider it a gimmick.

scaramouche
02-26-2006, 06:14 AM
The bad things? It is 5 1/2 feet long, so could be a storage problem. Expensive, but it is made of stainless steel.

The good thing? It greatly improved the smoothness and reliability of my stroke.

My stroke goes on walkabouts. Never know when it will go, never know when it will be back. Last time was the day after I made my highest point Snooker run. Maddening because it defies self-analysis to cure the problem. Now when my demons show up I dig out the gizmo and banish them quickly.

Had I known about it, I might have tried Tucker's Third Eye. It would help with alignment and sighting on the cue ball. Don't know if it would help refine the stroke.

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2006, 06:57 AM
If I'd tried one before buying one, I would probably not have the one i bought, simply because I can't get enthused enough to WORK on it. Someone here said in an earlier thread that they thought it was ok for early learners(I had a student/GF I was teaching at the time which helped me make the decision to buy.) I personally find the Stroke trainer gizmo-ish, but to be fair, I only put in 15 minutes in it for a few sessions and said the hell with it. If you happen to be a diligent self-student,,,it'd be somewhat worthwhile imo, otherwise it takes up a lot of real estate to store and costs more than it's worth, and for anyone who's already played for years, it is boring to all git . Had "my grasshopper" of a student not become a flake and bailed on me(GFs make terrible students), I might have a more positive reference for you. You could try mine if you happened to be within the Dallas area and maybe cut a deal if you liked it. That'd let you know quickly if it felt useful. Took me all of maybe an hour tops over 2-3 days to become un-useful in my personal routine. Jm2c...sid

Slasher
02-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Have you ever seen the movie Tin Cup ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Yea, talk about paranoia & gizmos huh...sid

Gayle in MD
02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
You're stroke problem sounds like mine. Fran Crimi solved it for me in about ten minutes, with a quick fix to use when the problem re-surfaced....

Gayle in Md.

BigRigTom
02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Sappo....you have a way of asking a question....

"does anyone have anything bad to say about the stroketrainer? im considering buying one."

You can ALWAYS find people who will say bad things about anything if you ask them too.

I have a stoke trainer and I think it is great. Of course I am what someone there referred to a "self student" and I do spend a lot of time on trying to improve my game. Most of use are students of the game ....even most of the pros will say they too are students of the game.

Now...that all being said....
The stroke trainer I have is sort of large and it does take up a lot of space ( the newest model is smaller than the one I have) but I just found a nice out of the way place to keep it when I'm not using it. It is made of Aluminum ...not...stainless steel as someone else indicated.
It is fairly light and can be moved aroung very easy.
I worked out on mine pretty regular for about 2 weeks and it helped me a lot. I now just use it a little once in a while to re-align when I feel I am starting to stray.
It is pricy but in my opinion it is worth every penny. No one else before could help me correct the things that the stroke trainer helped me improve....if you use it for about 5 minutes then shoot a few practice racks you'll see what I'm talking about.
As you go into your preshot routine you will feel you body (hips, back, shoulders, arms, head, elbow, forearm, wrist) all just fall into the groove.
Don't take my word for it though....take Sid up on his offer if you can and you'll see for yourself plus get a decent price on the device.

Good Luck.

mworkman
02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I have one. I use it for about 300 strokes each time I practice ( I practice about 3 times a week) I do 25 strokes with a closed bridge, then 25 with an open bridge. Then I turn it around and shoot through the rods without the guide 25/25 again. Then I set up long straight in shots and shoot em in. I do this 3 times for a total of 300. I think it has helped me. I've been doing this for months now. I placed the highest I ever have at the MOMA tournament in MN. I tied for 5th place which will bump me up to AA next year. Now, this could be a coincidence, or the result of some other stuff I've been doing different this year. All I know is, I can count on my stroke to be straight now. You may be able to get the same result by stroking down the rail and then shooting alot of straight in shots. The key I think is to work on your stroke. If you can afford it, I say go for it. Good luck.

bluey2king
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Nothing Bad at all to say! It is made of fine materials. I will note that mine is powercoated! If you don't about powercoating it is a smooth finish that will last forever untill you are long gone! I wish I could say that it has made me this Great Player but I am still a work in progress. Where I can really see what it has done for my game and I know that it is all StrokeTrainer, is my left handed shooting. I do NOT flinch on shooting the 9 ball on cut shot left handed. I had Never shot left handed untill I got the ST and I made a committment to using it left handed right from the get go! Now the only time I have to use the bridge is when the CB is inside head or foot string center of the table and cutting into one of the corners.
One other shot that I know it helped with for sure is my long stop shot!!
Bottom line!! If you will use it it will be well worth it!!

sappo
03-01-2006, 07:59 AM
just want to say thanks to all who responded. its all very good info and i think im going to purchase one. thanks again keith