PDA

View Full Version : Width of pocket entrance

Drop1
02-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I read some place that the entrance to the pocket should be two balls,with 1/4" space between them. Is this true?

lukeinva
02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Some table are some arent. Depends on if they are shimmed or not.

Rich R.
02-27-2006, 03:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I read some place that the entrance to the pocket should be two balls,with 1/4" space between them. Is this true? <hr /></blockquote>
Here are the BCA standards for pocket openings. Of course, on your own, home table, you can make the openings to your own standards.

POCKET OPENINGS &amp; MEASUREMENTS (Cloth covered rails):
Pocket openings are measured from tip to tip of the opposing cushion noses where direction changes into the pocket. This is called the mouth.

Corner Pocket: Mouth Between 4 7/8" minimum to 5 1/8" maximum
Side Pocket: Mouth Between 5 3/8" minimum to 5 5/8" maximum
The angle at the corner pocket entrance on each side of the pocket is 142o (1o).
The angle at the side pocket entrance on each side of the pocket is 103o ( 2o).
Vertical Pocket Angle: 12o minimum to 15o maximum.
Shelf: The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that goes from one side of the mouth to the other where the nose of the cushion changes direction to the center of the vertical cut of the slate pocket radius.
Corner Pocket:
1 5/8" minimum to 1 7/8" maximum
Side Pocket: 0" minimum to 3/8" maximum
Drop Point Slate Radius: The pocket radius measured from the vertical cut of the slate to the playing surface.
Drop Point Slate Radius 1/8" radius min. to 1/4" radius max.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Rails can be installed 'cut to length' to eliminate shims (which can get very hard).
We had this done at Hardtimes in Sacramento and the pocket width at the corners measures 4". Two balls cannot fit between the corners.

stevelightning
02-28-2006, 03:52 AM
I have a olhuasen 9' champion pro and the corner pockets are 4 3/4" and the side pockets are 5 1/2"

Fran Crimi
02-28-2006, 07:58 AM
The diameter of a ball is 2 1/4 in, so multiply that by 2 and add another 1/4 and you could fit a small boat in the pocket. Who on earth would write that?

Fran

Rich R.
02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> The diameter of a ball is 2 1/4 in, so multiply that by 2 and add another 1/4 and you could fit a small boat in the pocket. Who on earth would write that?
<hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I'm confused. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2 1/4" X 2 balls = 4 1/2" + 1/4" space = a total pocket size of 4 3/4"

This is still 1/8" below the minimum standard listed by the BCA.

What standard should be used for pocket size?

Tom_In_Cincy
02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Fran, I'm confused. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
2 1/4" X 2 balls = 4 1/2" + 1/4" space = a total pocket size of 4 3/4" This is still 1/8" below the minimum standard listed by the BCA.
What standard should be used for pocket size? <hr /></blockquote>

Rich,

The BCA quit making up rules in 1999 and accepted the World Standard Rule maintained by the World Pool Association (see wpa-pool.com)

The WPA pocket spects are as follows
9. Pocket Openings and Measurements
Only rubber facings of minimum 1/16 [1.5875 mm] to maximum inch [6.35 mm] thick may be used at pocket jaws. The WPA-preferred maximum thickness for facings is 1/8 inch [3.175 mm]. The facings on both sides of the pockets must be of the same thickness. Facings must be of hard re-enforced rubber glued with strong bond to the cushion and the rail, and adequately fastened to the wood rail liner to prevent shifting. The rubber of the facings should be somewhat harder than that of the cushions.

The pocket openings for pool tables are measured between opposing cushion noses where the direction changes into the pocket (from pointed lip to pointed lip). This is called mouth.

Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 [11.43 cm] and 4.625 inches [11.75 cm]
Side Pocket Mouth: between 5 [12.7 cm] and 5.125 inches [13.0175 cm]
*The mouth of the side pocket is traditionally inch [1.27 cm] wider than
the mouth of the corner pocket.

Vertical Pocket Angle (Back Draft): 12 degrees minimum to15 degrees maximum.

Horizontal Pocket Cut Angle: The angle must be the same on both sides of a pocket entrance. The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1). The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the side pocket entrance must be 104 degrees (+1).

Shelf: The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that goes from one side of the mouth to the other - where the nose of the cushion changes direction - to the vertical cut of the slate pocket cut. Shelf includes bevel.

Corner Pocket Shelf: between 1 [2.54 cm] and 2 inches [5.715 cm]
Side Pocket Shelf: between 0 and .375 inches [.9525 cm]

Rich R.
02-28-2006, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>The BCA quit making up rules in 1999 and accepted the World Standard Rule maintained by the World Pool Association (see wpa-pool.com) <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Tom.

I wasn't aware that the BCA was no longer the authority on these things. To avoid confusion, they should remove that information from their web site.

wolfdancer
02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Fran, you have to start out with 4 3/4 openings, because as the tournament gets near the $$, the pockets will begin to shrink....the Coriolis effect, I think it's called.
I had my table built with 4" corners, 4 1/2" sides.
It's not that I'm that good,but I now have an excuse when I miss

Brian in VA
02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
quote wolfdancer:
"pockets will begin to shrink....the Coriolis effect, I think it's called."

Actually, I think that's the Cashioless effect!

Brian in VA

Tom_In_Cincy
02-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Rich,
The only thing the BCA has to do with the rules is SELL a book every year with updated yearly event winners (if there are any) and make some money doing it.

The BCA hasn't been about pool players in a very long time. It is an industry mogul.

Fran Crimi
02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
You're right, Rich. I must have been sleepwalking when I answered that post. I added 2 1/4 and 2 1/4 and my brain kept telling me it added up to 5 1/2. So I was thinking 5 3/4.

Sorry for the confusion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fran

Rich R.
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
No problem Fran.

Trust me, I could use the 5 1/2. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif