PDA

View Full Version : Rod Elliott: Ivory-Colored Ferrule

SpiderMan
07-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Rod,

Decided to start a new thread since the old one was now so far back. I looked at the color pictures in my Atlas catalog. If you can locate a copy, on the front cover there is one completed cue stick standing vertically. At the base of this stick is a tube made of Atlas "Multipolymer Ivory Substitute" ferrule material. A little further down and maybe to the left are a couple of 1" squares and 1" cylinders of the same material. This is the most ivory-yellow material that they sell. The catalog also claims that their "Aegis-II is now more ivory-colored", but I couldn't find a picture of it so that might be a risk.

Couple of gotchas - First, this is a softer material than most thermoset plastics. It will feel most like the standard ferrule material on a Meucci, with a fairly soft hit. Second, Atlas has a $50 minimum order. I can help you with this, if you want to try the stuff, by sending you a couple of ferrules.

Also, the catalog says that this material bonds well with either epoxy or wood glue. Despite this, I was able to break an epoxy bond on the outside of a test sample a little more easily than I would like. This was cured by slightly scuffing with sandpaper. Before installation, I always rough up the inside of any ferrules made from this material by wrapping a drill bit in sandpaper and twisting it through by hand. Doing this, I've had no problems with loss of adhesion.

One good thing is that, after polishing, this material gets very slick and is very resistant to picking up chalk residue.

Hey, I just remembered - I still have an old 1970's "Jim Rempe" cue that I put one of these ferrules on. I will take a digital picture of the ferrule and post it online so you can see if the tint is what you're looking for. If so, send me your home address and I'll mail you a couple of ferrules. Also, since my material was supplied with a smooth 5/16" bore, you might have to go buy a solid cylinder if you have a threaded tenon.

SpiderMan

BLACKHEART
07-02-2002, 01:24 PM
I'm always confused by the "IVORY COLORED" material. I use a lot of ivory in my Qs & ivory is white...JER

Rod
07-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Spidey, I sent a couple of emails to Schon. Evan says Ivory is white, as Blackheart mentioned in his post. I thought Ivory as a yellowish color, especially with age. My reference would be to an old ivory billiard ball. At any rate he says the tenon is threaded. My ferrule is original and plastic with a yellow tint. Maybe it has yellowed a little over the years. BTW it is a capped ferrule. Evan mentioned to me that most repair guys do not put the ferrule on correct because of the tenon and the thread. He also says he is not trying to hawk work because a ferrule and tip costs $20 to install and their time is better spent on more expensive repair work. I can believe that. It may be in my best interest to send the shaft back to Schon. I have more shafts, I just didn't want to go through the process of shipping both directions and the time involved. He did say it was only two days at the shop though.

Thanks for the offer, I want this thing done right and that may be in question if I have it done locally.

Rod
07-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Jer, yes that is what I found out from Evan at Schon. My thinking of the color is in a reply to Spiderman. Thanks for the imput.

SpiderMan
07-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Yes, that is strange, isn't it? I imagine that a freshly-cut ivory surface would be white (even inside one of those yellowed old billiard balls), but might fade over time. Maybe that's why plastics that are described as "ivory-colored" have a yellowish tint, they're mimicing old ivory.

If Schon will do the replacement for $20 with a new tip, I'd let them do it. Since it is a threaded tenon, it is probably made to a standard dimension of theirs and they are more likely than a local guy to get the smallest possible gap between the tenon end and the inside of the cap. You could probably even send a tip with the shaft if you have a favorite, and let them put it on. I think their standard is a black pad under a water buffalo, but I'm not sure. I emailed them with this question earlier in the spring, because a friend wanted me to re-tip his Schon and he liked the original, but I never got a reply.

Interested in getting together for some pool this fall? I'm thinking of visiting my friend Al (the big guy who had lunch with us) as well as seeing Barenbrugge (your local cuemaker) if a good airfare comes up.

SpiderMan

Rod
07-02-2002, 04:32 PM
I have 6 of there tips now, I got them from Seyberts. Rip gave me that info 3 weeks ago. Since it's going to them I'll just let them put on their tip. It is suppose to be a WB and does have a black pad already glued on the bottom.
Supposedly they do some sort of special treatment to that tip, but who knows.

I'm always interested in playing pool, just let me know.

BLACKHEART
07-03-2002, 12:24 AM
You are right about old ivory balls. I have 20 that I've started to use for inlays. They are yellowish on the outside, with the numbers carved into them & pure white on the inside. I bought a tusk some time back & that's what I generally use for inlays, ferrules, butt caps & joints , but one day a guy knocks on my door with a bag in his hand. Inside are 20 ivory balls about 1 1/8 - 1 3/8 diameter inside. He tells me they were in his Grandfathers house & thought I might be able to use them. He said he wouldn't take a penny less than $10 apiece for them. I think I tripped twice trying to get to my check book. Some times it just falls in your lap...JER

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 01:02 AM
Hi Jer,

I was under the impression there were several types of ivory and colors to boot. I seen a Mammoth piece that had a green tint.

Regards,

C.C.

SpiderMan
07-03-2002, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I have 6 of there tips now, I got them from Seyberts. Rip gave me that info 3 weeks ago. <hr></blockquote>

Rod,

What is the Seybert's catalog number or description? I know they have WB tips, but the Schon also has a pre-attached pad, I think. Does Seybert's have something listed as a "Schon Tip"? Can you help me find it?

thanks,

SpiderMan

Rip
07-03-2002, 07:56 AM
SpiderMan, just in case Rod is "out of the office" for the holiday, I'll butt in. The Schon replacement tips are not listed on Seybert's website. Just call them as they now carry them in their brick and mortar store. FYI, I've ordered from them 6 or 7 times and never had a delay or problem. I always speak with "Rick" and so far he's shipped every order without a hiccup.
I keep at least one shaft loaded with a Schon tip but recently I've been hitting with Everest tips from Tiger.
I had an ivory ferrule installed on a Schon shaft and I can see some lines or "veins" that appear beige in color (keep in mind I'm color blind)running thru the ferrule.
Have a great 4th of July! Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I have 6 of there tips now, I got them from Seyberts. Rip gave me that info 3 weeks ago. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Rod,

What is the Seybert's catalog number or description? I know they have WB tips, but the Schon also has a pre-attached pad, I think. Does Seybert's have something listed as a "Schon Tip"? Can you help me find it?

thanks,

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>