PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Getting Smarter? or just zenophobic?

Deeman3
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Newsweek International
March 6, 2006 issue - The world has long looked upon the Dutch as the very model of a modern, multicultural society. Open and liberal, the tiny seagoing nation that invented the globalized economy in the 1600s prided itself on a history of taking in all comers, be they Indonesian or Turkish, African or Chinese.

How different things look today. Dutch borders have been virtually shut. New immigration is down to a trickle. The great cosmopolitan port city of Rotterdam just published a code of conduct requiring Dutch be spoken in public. Parliament recently legislated a countrywide ban on wearing the burqa in public. And listen to a prominent Dutch establishment figure describe the new Dutch Way with immigrants. "We demand a new social contract," says Jan Wolter Wabeke, High Court Judge in The Hague. "We no longer accept that people don't learn our language, we require that they send their daughters to school, and we demand they stop bringing in young brides from the desert and locking them up in third-floor apartments."

What's going on here? Weren't the Dutch supposed to be the nicest people on earth, the most tolerant nation in Europe, a melting pot for minorities and immigrants since the Renaissance? No longer, and in this the Dutch are once again at the forefront of changes in Europe. This time, the Dutch model for Europe is one of multiculturalism besieged, if not plain defunct.

This helps explain Europe's unusually robust reaction to the cartoon crisis, which continued last week with riots in Nigeria and Pakistan that have left over 100 dead. There were apologies, to be sure, for causing offense after a small Danish paper published a dozen cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. But on one point European leaders were united and bluntly clear: they would not tolerate any limits on European newspapers' rights to publish. "Freedom of speech is not up for negotiation," declared Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, summing up a consensus that has only grown stronger as the cries of outrage from the Muslim world grow louder.

Welcome to the end of tolerance, or at least to the nonnegotiable limits to what Europeans will tolerate. Whether it's the Netherlands' rediscovery of Dutch communal values, or the universal affirmations of free speech (to mock religion, or anything else), Europe is everywhere on the defensive. After decades of relatively unfettered immigration and cultural laissez faire when it came to accepting people of differing values and social mores, there are signs that a potentially ugly backlash is setting in. Even before Jyllands Posten published the cartoons last fall, Denmark's Minister of Cultural Affairs Brian Mikkelsen said, "We have gone to war against the multicultural ideology that says that everything is equally valid." These days, he speaks for most Europeans. Danes, and Dutch, and a few other countries might be well on their way to creating multiethnic societies. But make no mistake: they're no longer willing to tolerate a European melting pot—a broadly multicultural society—where different cultures live by widely different norms.

wolfdancer
02-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Perhaps open borders do not work in this day and age?
Off the subject a bit, but I hope the people killed in the riots in nigeria, did not include anymore of my rich relatives there....I've lost so many, already.
Here's an idea for anybody seeking a job....learn to write wills, then immigrate to Nigeria, where there seems to be a paucity of will writers.
We applaud the Hispanics, African-Americans, here for trying to preserve their ethnicity.....Seems like the Dutch want to preserve theirs, and try to alleviate some of the economic/political/religious/racial unrest, spreading across Europe

SpiderMan
02-27-2006, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> We applaud the Hispanics, African-Americans, here for trying to preserve their ethnicity.....<hr /></blockquote>

At the same time, we vilify white separatists for having those motives /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Will we now vilify the Dutch?

SpiderMan

Drop1
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey,don't forget,we have Black separatists. And we have MAPA, the Mexican American Political Association. Hell the whole Country has groups with separate agendas,that favor their color. One Black man out of one hundred people in the Senate,and it was Whites that voted him in. Nobody likes anybody, its the American way /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
02-28-2006, 01:29 AM
A truer picture. http://www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/ned060127a

The borders within the EU are open.You could drive from NL into Germany, cross into France, thru Belgium and back into the Netherlands and never have your passport checked!

Pim Fortuyn was very popular. When he was killed, many people switched their vote in protest and now we have a conservative Govt for the first time in 30+ years.
Q

SpiderMan
02-28-2006, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> The borders within the EU are open.You could drive from NL into Germany, cross into France, thru Belgium and back into the Netherlands and never have your passport checked!<hr /></blockquote>

That's more like a trip across town for us.

I could drive from Texarkana, out to Amarillo, then up to Pampa, down to El Paso, over to Houston, then up to Marshall and back to Dallas (maybe stopping in Terrell to shoot a few racks at PettyPoint). I'd cover a lot more miles than a drive through EU, and I'd never leave Texas. No passports, no language changes, and I never have to take the loaded shotgun out of the rear window /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Drop1
02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
My son teaches in the los Angeles school district. one hundred and twenty six different languages exist within the district. Of course English is the language of choice for obvious reasons. And I have to say I think Los Angeles is richer for its diversity. One of the problems facing all of Europe is where to put the Muslims.

Deeman3
03-01-2006, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> One of the problems facing all of Europe is where to put the Muslims. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> With all due respect, the ral questions soon will be where will the Muslims put all the Europeans?

Deeman </font color>