PDA

View Full Version : practice hi runs 14.1

nAz
02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I ran a new personal best last Saturday after noon and was wondering if it should count because it happen during practice and not competition?
i had two witnesses present at the time if that helps matters. BTW the runs was 57 i left myself no break shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

two years left that is the time i have given myself in my pursuit to hit the century mark. jeez i need to play more!

FastJoey
02-28-2006, 12:12 AM
CONGRATULATIONS

Rich R.
02-28-2006, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I ran a new personal best last Saturday after noon and was wondering if it should count because it happen during practice and not competition? <hr /></blockquote>
nAz, all you have to do is consider it a high run "in practice". You will have another high run "in competition".

57 is a good run, regardless of when you did it. Congratulations.

I ran 3 freakin balls once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brian in VA
02-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Way to go Naz! I had a 34 recently in practice and was thrilled. I just know I can get that 100 but first I have to get a 50. I had a 78 a million years ago but that was on a loose 8 footer.

Brian in VA

Leviathan
02-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Trust Chango and Elegua. Give them the chicken and the goat and they will give you what you desire. Your cue will be the lightning! It works for me!

Regards from Wing H,

AS

PoolSharkAllen
02-28-2006, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I ran a new personal best last Saturday after noon and was wondering if it should count because it happen during practice and not competition?
i had two witnesses present at the time if that helps matters. BTW the runs was 57 i left myself no break shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

two years left that is the time i have given myself in my pursuit to hit the century mark. jeez i need to play more! <hr /></blockquote>

Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls once during an exhibition. If Mosconi's run can count than there's no reason why your practice run shouldn't count either! Congrats! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
02-28-2006, 07:54 AM
That's impressive, Naz. One rack at a time, eh? Think you said your last high run was about 43-44? So just a few break shots away now ... and those other easy ones. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So if you're hitting em like that on Sat, were ya stalling on Thurs?

Steve Lipsky
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Naz, in my book, the run counts, with one small caveat: As long as you didn't shoot anything completely ridiculous to keep the run going (which you wouldn't have normally shot in a game situation) it is a clean and valid run.

As long as the above holds true, I have never understood the idea of a distinction between practice and competition runs. You hear the monsters talking about their high runs - and I guess they were all done in "practice", since there are no official games to 400 or 500.

So Naz my friend... we love you and all, but why should you be held to a higher standard than Willie Mosconi? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Steve

nAz
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
So Naz my friend... we love you and all, but why should you be held to a higher standard than Willie Mosconi? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

lol good one!

nAz
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>

So if you're hitting em like that on Sat, were ya stalling on Thurs? <hr /></blockquote>

Dude i want to forget about that night... the only thing i could blame that performance on is lack of sleep over the last 3 nights /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone... I tell you this i can not wait to get back on a table and play/practice whatever, that last hi run has motivated me to play more pool (practice) which is something i have not done enough. the lack of practice is making my goal of a 100+ balls harder to reach.

anyone want to play?

wolfdancer
02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
My high run is 13....what's a break shot????
Congrats on the 57 ******

Drop1
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Nice going. Now go for the one hundred every time you are at the table.

rukiddingme
03-01-2006, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Nice going. Now go for the one hundred every time you are at the table. <hr /></blockquote>
The difference between running 50 and 100 is HUGE!!!!
ruk

marek
03-01-2006, 09:40 AM
By my experience there is much bigger difference between running 20 and 50 than running 50 and 100.
JMO

DSAPOLIS
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Naz,
Congrats on the run. My 212 was done during a fundraiser in 2000, not during competition. My highest run in competition is 106, before that I think that it was in the low 70's.

As far as there being a difference in runs - I don't follow that type of thinking. Each run is shot 1 shot at a time. In straight pool, poor decisions made earlier in the rack can come back to haunt you at the end of the rack, hence how Naz's run ended with no break shot. I follow a very simple method, which is to maintain good table management, and to especially pay attention to my patterns. Many runs end due to these reasons:

1) missing a shot
2) Poor table management
3) Not dealing with clusters and problem balls effectively
4) Trying to do too much on the break shot - or poor result after the break shot

There is no special formula to get into triple digits, the best advice I ever got was from Jimmy Rempe, who said, "Don't miss." LOL.

Just take it one shot at a time, one rack at a time, and remember to re-read the rack after each and every shot. Maintain control of the table by remaining in your comfort zone. I always set up break shots that are high percentage. Many players try to do too much, or leave themselves shots they are unfamiliar with. Practice your break shots, and also practice setting up primary and secondary break shots, breaking up clusters, and pocketing balls cleanly.

In closing, remember that 14.1 is NOT 9 ball. I see a lot of younger players trying to zing the cue ball all over the table and playing straight pool like it IS 9 ball. My cue ball doesn't travel very much at all during the rack, and I usually stay in the same area of the table, as shown in the below diagram.

http://www.geocities.com/theblackjacktable_nl/0010_Table_Mngmt.JPG

Good Luck &amp; God Bless

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Great post Dave,

14.1 has presented a life time of challenges to anyone that wants to break 50 or 100 consecutive balls made, or more.

I remember someone that was learning the game a few years back that just felt so thrilled by running from one rack to another and then into a 3rd rack. His total ball count was only 28, but he was very proud of his accomplishment.

I remember running 40 in a match quite a few years back, and I had to be told by my opponent (who kept quiet during the entire run) that when I played safe on the 41st ball, he just said "nice run of 40" I was very surprized.

One ball at a time, one ball at a time.

Deeman3
03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Dave,

I agree with Tom, this is some of the best advice I have ever seen in so short a message. My high run came over 35 years ago but I keep trying to improve on it. Now that I have had a few more years to learn I feel my old record should be easy to best. However, many of the things you point out here are the reasons, naturally, that I get stuck in the mid-40's so often now and start converting to my nine ball game.

Many of us as well, just don't play enough competitive pool to keep sharp in 14.1. It is still the greatest game, with some apologies to one pocket, that ever tested a human being's patience, skill and pride.

Deeman

nAz
03-02-2006, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Nice going. Now go for the one hundred every time you are at the table. <hr /></blockquote>

hey Drop, every time i hit a new Hi run or came close to one, the ball count was not on my mind ( i don't think anything was on my mind)so for now on is just like D. Sapolis and others have said... one ball at a time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
03-02-2006, 09:20 AM
David thanks for the advise... It is very helpfull i am going to keep it all in mind as play tonight...

"In closing, remember that 14.1 is NOT 9 ball. I see a lot of younger players trying to zing the cue ball all over the table and playing straight pool like it IS 9 ball. My cue ball doesn't travel very much at all during the rack, and I usually stay in the same area of the table, as shown in the below diagram."

BTW those other article you have on http://www.poolchat.net/ are great.

DickLeonard
03-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Naz every ones high run has been achived in practice. Babe Cranfield didn't run 762 in a game. If your playing someone for money and you run 50 and out you don't try to run anymore. If your playing in a tournament the game is over when one person wins etc. Keep up running balls when you get to the 200s you will experience a different high. It is one that the only way describe it is, it is undescribable.####

nAz
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
"Keep up running balls when you get to the 200s you will experience a different high. It is one that the only way describe it is, it is undescribable.####"

now that is something i never heard before about pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mworkman
03-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Whenever I feel too full of myself, I just practice a little 14.1. It brings me back into reality every time. It shows me how much more about pool I need to learn. It is one of the most enjoyable and also the most frustrating game I've ever played.