PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist 9-ball

Qtec
02-28-2006, 08:08 AM
minimalist.
Being or providing a bare minimum of what is necessary.

The recent Rotterdam Open was once again a great success. Players from all over Europe come every year to Holland to to play in this competition and the top players were again on form.
I had the good fortune to witness a classic example of what I can best describe as Minimalist 9-ball. You might also call it 'super confident no risk 9-ball'!
Oliver Ortman Vs Fabio Petronni.
Ortman never missed a ball. After Fabio missed an easy 5 ball with IE , Ortman pulled away with a brilliant display of what I call Minimalist pool. Nothing fancy but exquisitley pure.
I was dazzled.
I,m not easily impressed /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but this was beautiful in its simplicity.
There is an art in finding the simplest solution to every problem and Oliver is a master. He totally adapted to the table and never looked in any trouble. Just about every clearance was one that 90% of the board would say, "I could have done that"!
'He didnt do anything I couldnt do" would be the answer from most.
To me, thats why it was so special.

I did a couple of shifts behind the bar which was really great. It gives me the opportunity to talk to all the players because and no matter how stingy they are /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, sooner or later they have to come to the bar. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway, after the Ortman-Fabio match I was sitting at the bar and Fabio comes up to pay his bill. After 2 days, his bill is $22.35- big spender! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif He gets his change and puts 5ct on the bar.
Fabio:
This is for you[to the barman] and I want you to share it with all the people[ pointing at me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif].
Fabio turns to leave and I stand up and say
" Fabio!

See you next year'"

He got the sarcasim, laughed ,we shook hands and he departed with a big smile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I guess we will see him next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q.....wait till I tell you about Tony drago.....still laughing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Now THAT's cheap! Tipping the bartender 5 cents for a 2-day tab, and reminding him to share it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan