PDA

View Full Version : Importance of stroke speed

Duckie
03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Lately, I've been focusing my practice on stroke speed and the different affects it has on the object ball and position. Its amazing on how a little change one way or the other really affects the object ball, aiming and position.

I feel I have gotten off the plateau I've been on because of this. Its sure a nice feeling to be going up to the next plateau.

Billy_Bob
03-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Something which may be helpful, before shooting each time, ask yourself...

Where is the cue ball going to go after this shot?

Then ask yourself...

How far do I want the cue ball to go along the path it will travel?

Without doing anything fancy to try to alter the natural path of the cue ball after a hit, chances are that the cue ball will travel along a path, where if the cue ball was to stop in a certain area, you would have an easy shot on another ball.

By asking yourself "Where will the cue ball go?" before every shot, eventually you will know in advance the general direction the cue ball will travel.

Then all you need to do once you know this, is to shoot with the correct speed so the cue ball stops where you want it to stop.

With 8-ball, I see a lot of "bangers" who have an easy last ball to make and the natural path of the cue ball will go to a good spot to shoot in the 8. With a soft hit that is. I say to myself that they have won the game. Well they get up to the table and whack the heck out of the cue ball and it travels to a spot which gives them a difficult shot on the 8. I say to myself "What are they doing?". They lose the game because of this.

Learn to shoot soft, medium, or hard as needed.

Duckie
03-02-2006, 11:23 AM
That is the question that led me to the importance of stroke speed. I started incorporating the "always looking ahead three shots" into my practice and games which really made me aware of my stroke speed.

One other thing that made be aware of stroke speed is playing safes in games.

I hope my sharing my baby steps in improving doesn't bother people. You tell people who don't play pool or just play at about things like this, they kinda get the deer in the headlights look. So its nice to share with those that understand.

Billy_Bob
03-02-2006, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr>...I hope my sharing my baby steps in improving doesn't bother people...<hr /></blockquote>

1. There are people who read this forum who are at all different stages of playing ability.

2. Those who have recently had success learning something are the best people to teach others what they have learned and how they did it. Because it is fresh in their minds. After 5 or 10 years of playing, I think people tend to forget how they learned something.

3. And there are mostly players on this forum who have an open mind and want to learn all they can about everything. Everybody shares tips and helps everyone else.

4. I won 2nd place in a tournament last night mainly because of things I have learned on this forum. I learned some basic things a few years ago which I have been working on. Takes years of practice. But learning the right stuff has *really* helped me.

5. Post away! Ask questions, share successes you have had, feel free to share things which have helped your playing.

cheesemouse
03-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Duckie,
Stroke speed or how you excellerate the stroke is probably the number #1 factor in reaching the top of this game. The abiltiy to stay in line and the ability to adjust to the speed of the table is the skill most needed to play great pool. The ball pocketing skills will come with just hitting balls but good speed is something you really have to develope and work on all the time.
Enjoy the ride... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bumps
03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
When I was learning to play, speed of stroke was one of, if not THE most important thing stressed.

ryushen21
03-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Stroke speed is the very first drill that shoot when i i need to center my game up again. Once i have a good grasp on lag, medium, and break speed strokes there is vast improvement. Everything just seems to get easier from there.