PDA

View Full Version : Bob Jewett step inside...

nAz
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
How are you sir.

I was wondering if you have that 3C Billiard diagram online? from the latest issue of BD. I came across the article late last night, I got through almost half of it before I had to go and my buddy wouldn't let me borrow the issue.

BTW i came up with 12 possible tracks (mirrored) so far.

Bob_Jewett
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>... I was wondering if you have that 3C Billiard diagram online? from the latest issue of BD. ... <hr /></blockquote>

nAz is referring to a carom puzzle that I proposed in my current column. The challenge is to find as many reasonable 3-cushion shots as you can in the following diagram:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/carom_puzzle.pdf

I define "reasonable" as something I can come close to in five tries. Since the layout is symmetrical, the first object ball struck should be X for every shot you list. Shots are given by listing rails and balls struck by letter.

Also in the diagram file (on page 2) are six positions. If there is a tie in the contest, the six positions (which list the order of contact) are the tie-breaker. You have to say what english or special technique should be used for each of the six shots.

For the various other rules of the contest, see the text in the article (which I will eventually get around to putting on-line). Here is plain-text version of the article:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/carom_puzzle.txt

The prize is one-year subscription to BD.

cueball1950
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
why x for every shot first. i can play many using both balls..........mike

Bob_Jewett
03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> why x for every shot first. i can play many using both balls..........mike <hr /></blockquote>
This is explained in the text. In fact for every ball using X first, there is an absolutely identical shot using Y first, except the shot is opposite-handed. For the purposes of the challenge, I'll assume you (and I) shoot equally well with either fin.

SPetty
03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>The prize is one-year subscription to BD.<hr /></blockquote>Which is, if anyone cares, a lot more than you get if you win the BD Best New Home Room contest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
03-05-2006, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>The prize is one-year subscription to BD.<hr /></blockquote>Which is, if anyone cares, a lot more than you get if you win the BD Best New Home Room contest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

lol that suxs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif spetty why not renounce your win in protest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

btw that is a sweet looking room you got there.

nAz
03-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the link... I will send out my answer to the puzzles by the end of the week.

BTW I'd like to see more of these puzzle in your columns IMO it makes for an even more interesting to read, do you think that will be possible?

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> BTW I'd like to see more of these puzzle in your columns IMO it makes for an even more interesting to read, do you think that will be possible? <hr /></blockquote>
The problem is to make it more than just another "how would you play this shot" column. If anyone has suggestions for brain teasers that are actually pool related, please send me a note.

Bob_Jewett
04-26-2006, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> How are you sir.

I was wondering if you have that 3C Billiard diagram online? from the latest issue of BD.... <hr /></blockquote>

If anyone wants to send in a try, it has to be in by Monday. The article as published is not on-line at:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2006-03.pdf