PDA

View Full Version : What are the advantages to buying your own cue?

07-02-2002, 03:20 PM
What are the advantages to buying your own cue? Consistency? More english, draw, and follow? Is the improvement worth dishing out $200-$350? How much should a solid cue with minimum ornamentation cost?
Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

Cueless Joey
07-02-2002, 03:23 PM
I don't steal or borrow, so I buy 'em. LOL
Familiriaty and quality are my main reasons.

Q-guy
07-02-2002, 03:35 PM
To be really honest, your question it's self would suggest you may not be ready to invest too much in a cue at this time. Before you spend a good amount on a cue, or order a custom cue, you need to know what you like. If you are a complete beginner you may get a cue with very generic dimensions such as 19, to19 1/2 ounce and 13 mm, 58 inches. Most anyone would feel comfortable with a cue like this. As you become a better player you will want to experiment to find what is right for you. To tell you the truth, this process will take the rest of your life. To answer your question, there are many advantages to owning your cue. Most are obvious.

Michelle
07-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Because you can't play your best game with a crooked house cue that has an 11.35 mm tip from being replaced so many times, and feels like a chewed up pencil as you stroke it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Really, the benefits of owning your own cue are many. You can take care of it and keep it straight. You know the quality of the wood and tip and ferrule are better than most house cues. You get to know how it feels and plays. You subconsciencely understand how it hits, where as every house cue is going to hit differently.

You do not need to spend $300 to start out with if you don't want to. $300 will get you a decent cue, and if you have played with a brand you like a lot, then by all means....but, if you are not sure, there are many cues in the $75-$150 range that are very good starter cues.

And, make sure to get a case for it, because you don't want it to ding and you don't want to lay it against a wall or leave it in your car, which will induce warpage.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

rackmup
07-03-2002, 04:54 PM
<ul type="square"> It will be straight.
It will have a tip.
It won't have blood on it from last night's bar brawl.
You can take it to another pool room without having a bouncer chase you to your car.
You'll look like a pool player.
[/list]

Regards,

Ken

JimS
07-04-2002, 05:15 PM
I've been thinking about this and it seems to me that the biggest advantage to having your own cue is that when you get to the pool hall you don't have to beat the snot out of the person who is playing with "your" house cue....you know....the one marked with your teeth marks in the middle.

(used to know this big sumbitch that did that everywhere he played. Everybody looked for the teeth marks when they picked out a cue and NOBODY....well...nobody without a gun...played with it!)

07-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Gee Jim, if we got to see sport like that around here, we'd actively discourage folks from purchasing their own cue! LOL
We're rather bloodthirsty here in the Northeast.....

JimS
07-04-2002, 06:49 PM
JimS has nothing against a little blood-letting........yours...or theirs that is! Not mine! Not this kid, nope, no-way, not on your life, nay, neigh, huh-uh, forgedaboutit, nada, not in a million years, never, no indeedeedy, absolutely not, on no account, by no stretch of the imagination, no..no..a thousand times no! Very strict pacifist when there's a chance in hell it might be MY face getting the snot beat out of it. I'm the home of the alligator mouth and hummingbird ass! (that big sumbitch was the one who introduced me to that line....."boy....you gots a alligator............"

It was definitely time for my pea brain to instruct my hummingbird ass to fly the hell outa there with all due haste!

07-04-2002, 06:54 PM
I'm guessing that you don't go for the kinky stuff then huh? LMAO

Retardo
07-04-2002, 07:32 PM
If the alternative is to steal one, then one advantage of buying would be the avoidance of jail! That would be a consideration for me.

JimS
07-04-2002, 07:37 PM
Kinky I can do......with feathers...NO LEATHER...NO CHAINS.

OK....that's it! I"m gettin outa here! My humminbirdass is in toooooo deep.

Troy
07-04-2002, 07:58 PM
The simple, fundamental answer is that your cue is YOUR CUE.
Each time you pick up YOUR CUE it feels the same as the previous time.

It is YOUR CUE.

Troy

Troy
07-04-2002, 08:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> The future will be better tommorrow. - Dan Quayle
<hr></blockquote>

Reminds me of a country party some years ago. The host had placed a sign reading

"Park In The Pasture".

I added ---

"Or In The Future" ..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ (It was funny at the time)

07-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Still funny today!

07-04-2002, 08:58 PM
I was just wanderin what part of northeast are you from?

john bastian in pa

07-04-2002, 09:06 PM
New Jersey. Edison to be exact. My Dad currently resides in Benton, PA. Is that near you? Dad likes to say it isn't near anything! LOL

07-04-2002, 10:00 PM
I understand the main factor is consistency, but I will have a table soon and I will be playing with the standard maples all the time, my question is are production cues really worth the money playability wise?

Chris Cass
07-04-2002, 11:28 PM
You can smash it to smitherines and noone will care. I hate this game.

C.C.~~frustrated

griffith_d
07-05-2002, 06:02 AM
A cue being "worth it" is very subjective. A cue has to be accurate first to be worth playing with,...you can get worthwhile cues in a one piece. Once you get used to any cue, you will play better.

Even if you get a $30 stick and get used to it, it will be better than the dented POS's at the pool hall. Some of the warped pool hall sticks are so warped, you might be able to use them as a bow.

Griff

07-05-2002, 12:05 PM
I am not quite sure? I live right near Allentown, PA. I used to live in the Philadelphia/Chester area though.

john bastian in pa

MikeM
07-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Benton is in Northeastern PA, about 20 miles ESE of Wilkes-Barre. Not too far from Williamsport. My wife is from a little town called Shickshinny about 10 miles from Benton. It's about an hour and a half from Allentown.

MM

07-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Chris- the name of my Tuesday night team is GIHTFG (God, I Hate this F***ing Game!) Been ther, done that. The real advantage to buying your own cue? The more expensive its, the more sober you remain- you have to remember to take it home with you!!!!

Sid_Vicious
07-05-2002, 07:44 PM
A. It's your cue
B. It's your cue

Ain't no more to figure out. By the way, a one piece houce cue shoots as good or better...sid