PDA

View Full Version : DFW Pool locations

monkeychef
03-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, new member to the forum here. I just picked up the game again a month or two ago (I used to play a little in high school, but not too seriously) and I'm already hopelessly addicted. The main thing I really want to find is somewhere I can go to play on a pretty regular basis. I live in an apartment so there's no real option to invest in a table of my own, otherwise that would be my first pick. I live in North Dallas, just south of the 635/75 junction, near the NorthPark Mall.

I'm right across the street from a Dave and Buster's, which is by far my favorite place to play (they have wonderful tables and cues compared to everywhere else I've played), but they're about $14 an hour for a table, and trying to justify lots of hours of play on that price is hard with my budget, and they close at 12, which can be a bummer when I want my late night fix after work (I get out at 11pm most nights).

My main haunt has been Fox and Hound, on Skillman and 635. Their tables are $12 or 14 during prime time, but they have a half-off discount for people in the service industry (I definitely qualify) Most of the people there know me as a regular, but the place has been dissatisfying ever since I got a taste of what a table should be like at D&B. The tables at F&H have oversized pockets, most cues wobble when rolled across a flat surface, and the felt seems incredibly slow. A hit at Fox has about half the effect as the same hit and Dave and Busters. English just seems to have so much less effect on everything. When I play at D&B, the balls "behave" as the books and tips say should.

Another thing I seem to be missing out on is fellow regulars. I rarely see the same people in either hall twice. I really would like it if I knew more people than my regular playing partner to play with.

What are your favorite places to play on a *regular* basis in the DFW area, and what makes it your favorite? Am I being spoiled in the way I feel about going to Fox on a regular basis, especially with a discount? Is there anywhere I can go to play on a decent table without breaking the bank? And how often do you all go out and play pool?

Thanks for the help guys... just trying to feed the craving /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
- Corey

ryushen21
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
You might want to check out clicks on skillman. it's not too bad. The 8 foot tables are a little on the slow side but i think the nine foot tables have better cloth. And i think that they run around $8/hr.

monkeychef
03-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Interesting, they say they offer free pool for hospitality Sunday through Thursday (wait list permitting) and for league players. Is it a pretty busy place, or could I go up there just about any Sunday through Thursday and get a table? I wonder if there are any catches to that hospitality industry free pool, that sounds great.

Edit: Forgot to ask about that league play... what's that like? I'm very much a noob, I'm lucky if I get a run of 3 or 4 balls in an 8-ball game, and a league seems like it might be intimidating.

ALLENJK
03-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Here is the web site for SWEL ( Southwest Eightball League )www.sw8ball.org. Most of the Clicks do offer free pool for league members. Those that don't are 3-4 dollars an hour. As for the intimidation factor, there are several different levels of play ( C - Masters ) . Hope this helps.

Buzzsaw
03-03-2006, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote monkeychef:</font><hr> Forgot to ask about that league play... what's that like? I'm very much a noob, I'm lucky if I get a run of 3 or 4 balls in an 8-ball game, and a league seems like it might be intimidating. <hr /></blockquote>

Corey - League play is a great way to meet other people with the passion you have for the game. Don't be intimidated because you'll play people with all different skill levels. Lately, I've introduced a number of new players to league play and they have loved it. As a matter of fact most of them have gone on to form teams of their own with people they met during league play. Go for it you'll have a great time.

SpiderMan
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Corey,

What is your work schedule?

There are many rooms and clubs in the north Dallas area that offer free or bargain-flat-rate pool on various days of the week. I seldom pay for pool, except fees in tourneys, but I probably make up for it in food /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Either Sid Vicious or I can probably hook you up with conventient times and places to get in all the pool you can stand for little or nothing.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
03-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Click's on Skillman has flat rate up until 7PM Sun-Thurs for $5, nine footers included. It then goes to $10 per table, so 2 players is five each, party of 4, same ten spot. I'd always recommend that house since I've gone there for over a decade, I guess you would call me a regular.

There's a new 3-man league just starting on Tuesday nights, geared to kick off next week. That'd get you free table time except for Fri and Saturdays. Drop in Sunday if you get a chance, check table 6. I play there from 1-??? most every Sunday. I also expect to be in on Saturday about the same time, but not for certain just yet.

Sid

monkeychef
03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
My schedule really varies from week to week, but most predictably, I am a night closer for the restaurant, so I work 5pm to 10:30pm or so most nights. Sometimes I have to work mornings, and I get one or two days off a week. I can request a day off each week ahead of time, and try to trade shifts with other people if I know I need a day off though.

It's nice to see Clicks is open till 2, getting out of work at 11 and trying to get a pool fix at a place that closes at midnight is no fun. And playing during the early afternoon, the places are empty (which I don't end up minding too much, especially for practice, but just by myself it can get lonely)

I don't have any of my own equipment yet, will that be a problem for any place I go?

OldieToo
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Click's on Skillman has flat rate up until 7PM Sun-Thurs for $5, nine footers included. It then goes to $10 per table, so 2 players is five each, party of 4, same ten spot. I'd always recommend that house since I've gone there for over a decade, I guess you would call me a regular.

There's a new 3-man league just starting on Tuesday nights, geared to kick off next week. That'd get you free table time except for Fri and Saturdays. Drop in Sunday if you get a chance, check table 6. I play there from 1-??? most every Sunday. I also expect to be in on Saturday about the same time, but not for certain just yet.

Sid <hr /></blockquote>Table 6? Can I play? haha....I was there last tuesday night playing for $$$ on table 10. I had a good crowd watching me. It was fun. I go there on a semi regular basis too...I bounce between there, Hawleys, CJ's, and Players. Players has nothing but brand new Olhausen 9ft.s with tournament cloth, Aramith Pro balls, etc... Players even has custom house cues with double pressed Irish linen wraps....or Cuetecs, your choice. AWEESOME Tables there. CJ's has onepocket $$$ games....always!
Hawleys has lots of tournamnets.

monkeychef
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
How much is it to play at Players and all those?

SPetty
03-07-2006, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OldieToo:</font><hr> Players has nothing but brand new Olhausen 9ft.s with tournament cloth, Aramith Pro balls, etc... <hr /></blockquote>Howdy OldieToo,

Where is Players?

Also, to the original poster, there's also a place called Wizards just north of LBJ - take the Spring Valley exit - it's on the east side.

OldieToo
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote OldieToo:</font><hr> Players has nothing but brand new Olhausen 9ft.s with tournament cloth, Aramith Pro balls, etc... <hr /></blockquote>Howdy OldieToo,

Where is Players?

Also, to the original poster, there's also a place called Wizards just north of LBJ - take the Spring Valley exit - it's on the east side.
<hr /></blockquote>Players is in Red Oak, Tx. On Ovilla Rd. Just about 1/4 mile east (edit) from I-35.

as far as costs? Cjs has never charged me, Hawleys was "reasonable" the one time they charged me, Players is $5 an hour...per person, not per table. Use as many tables as needed...LOL

monkeychef
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I went and checked out the Skillman Clicks tonight. I had plenty of people I know tell me that it was an ugly area and rough hall, but my first thought when I went in that it was not bad at all. I played on table 10 from about 7 to 9, and they aren't too bad. I liked what I saw on the bigger tables (near the front door, I believe?) but never got to play on one. There were a good number of people there, and several seemed extremely good, but there was no knowing whether they were there only because of the Tuesday night league that was starting up.
The tables &amp; equipment weren't the best, but they were better than coin-ops, definitely good enough to have some fun on. Besides, I go more for the people than the quality of equipment, which is probably necessary when I'm trying to play cheap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I left my contact info for the league, and I might be able to start up in that on Tuesdays as well. Thank you, by the way, for encouraging me to start up in a basic league, it looks like a lot of fun and probably the best way to meet other players out there.

Was anyone else there? Looking forward to meeting one or two of you sometime.

- Corey

ryushen21
03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
That's a laugh...you were playing right next to me and Sid_Vicious. We're both in the tuesday night league.

monkeychef
03-07-2006, 11:41 PM
You were the one with the racing shirt, and Sid was the one playing 9-ball with you before you all went over to play the league games, right? I was the skinnier one with the red shirt in the corner. The other one is my roommate. He's one of my playing partners I drag along with me when I get the itch to play. If I'm right about who you were, I hung out by Sid for a bit to watch a game of 8-ball. How often are you two up there?

Sid_Vicious
03-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Yea that was us. I spoke with you on the way out when you were talking to Brad. I'll be there Tuesdays and Wednesdays, depending on whether I am in the play rotation. Weekends are pretty regular in afternoons and some night action depending on my "involvement." Drop in tonight and you'll see many of Dallas' best on the nines. Come on back, we'll play a little. sid

SpiderMan
03-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Did you give Sid your cue that you wanted me to re-tip? I haven't seen him this morning. I played in the Sterling's tourney last night.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-08-2006, 08:25 AM
That will be a good league to start out in. Brad and Alan's leagues are the least expensive (payback vs dues) in the DFW area, at least for leagues that are sanctioned. They are both national senior referees, and we take a couple teams to 'Vegas each year. Plus, it will get you free practice time at Click's on non-league days. I play in his Monday league at Los Sapitos (formerly Rack Daddy's).

SpiderMan

qbert404
03-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Players Billiards is a nice room, they just opened up like a month ago or so, I play there every Sunday afternoon. There is a flat rate for play on weekday afternoons and then flat rates on weekends.

I play most of the time at Rusty's in Arlington, which is a 24/7 pool room with 3 9 ft tables, 15-20 8 ft, and 3 coin tables. if you're in the service industry and get off work about 11 pm, you may want to check out Rusty's. Quite a few waiters/bartenders play there.

ryushen21
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Marty,

I actually had a friend of mine put a good trim on it. It turned out that it was just badly cut during the install and he was able to fix it up for me. But when i need that install done i'll let you know.