PDA

View Full Version : Most fun I've had in a long time...

Cane
03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Tonight, two friends of mine came over and we started up a cheap ring game.... 2 on the 5, 3 on the 9. We played, joked, sharked, harrassed and shot some pretty good pool for 3 hours. Only thing we stopped for was to make fun of each other or pay up! Funny, we do this in pool rooms every week, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week, but in there, it has a much more serious air to it than it did here. Here, we just had fun! Kind of reminded me why I like playing this game so much.

Just thought I'd share,

Bob

pooltchr
03-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Sometimes we just have to forget being competitive and just enjoy the game for what it is....a GAME!
You and I played for about 3 or 4 hours one night in Dallas...no money, and I don't think we even kept score...but I sure did enjoy it!
Thanks for the reminder!
Steve

tjlmbklr
03-04-2006, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kind of reminded me why I like playing this game so much.

Just thought I'd share,
<hr /></blockquote>

I envy you, I can't find anyone that has a decent enough game to share my love of pool in my newly finished(well 90% finished) Rec. room.

Rich R.
03-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Sometimes we all forget that pool is a game and games are meant to be fun.
If you ain't having fun, playing pool, you ain't doing it right.

Winning is better than losing, but losing is better than not playing at all.

Sid_Vicious
03-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Bob...You and I are on flip sides of our "pool personalities" with gambling vs fun. I run in a circle of slap happy, $5 set players for the most part, and then eek in "healthier" wagers infrequently. Hell I have more fun losing more cheap sets than I do winning real money, which is one primary reason I resist getting myself sucked into much more than a nickel or a dime on a game. Now I WILL test myself these days with a little more of an investment, but mainly I'll laugh and play cheap with these jokesters on the cheap, and nobody ever really gets hurt.

Something has just told me now after reading your post that very many players "grow" through gambling to a point where they lose sight of just what the game is supposed to be,,,fun, fun fun. I've watched players over the years go from "fun to play" to sober-Joes just playing for the cash, and some of these players even burn completely out and disappear over time. The fun guys are still there going on a decade later. Don't get me wrong...hardly nothing beats the serious encounter once in a while with an old rival, take a few hundred maybe, get stuck and scramble back to even, lose a hill-hill for twice the bet and leave dragging your tail. The cheap sets you described is the more normal games I find myself playing.

In conclusion, you have players who will be fun for cheap, players who will not even play without a sizeable bet, and those people who couldn't stand losing a nickel so they bear down for nothing. That last group is my last choice for an outting of fun. I guess what it all comes down to is this: "Why do you play the game?" That question is really the main thing everyone needs to find a personal answer to, cuz otherwise the individual performance will bounce from the pennacle to the valley and be frustrating and hell IMO. sid

Cane
03-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Sid, You know, I read your post yesterday before I went to Fort Smith. You were right. See, I had forgotten how to have fun playing pool. It was all about how I finished in the tournaments, or whether I could get the nuts gambling, but last night I did it a little different and had fun with it. Went to the Pool Room in Fort Smith and started woofing at the B and C players a little. Played one guy 5 sets, R-7 for $10 a set. Started out giving him the 7 out and ended up giving him the orange crush, money balls counted on the break. I ended up 10 down and this kid and I had a damn blast. For once, even though it was VERY light gambling, it wasn't about the money, it was about a combination of the challenge and fun of outrunning the spot. What really made me feel good about it was this kid thanked me for playing him cheap after the session. He had never gambled with anyone better than a C player before and he was absolutely thrilled to death that, even though he was getting a crazy spot, beating me out of $10. What I saw, even though he made money balls on the break to win many of the games, was his confidence soar. By the end, when he was getting wild 5 and out and the breaks, he was shooting with conviction and confidence. As a player, part of me didn't like it so much, but as an instructor, I thought it was great to see his table presence soar. Regardless, it was fun!!!! Think I'll try, from now on, to KEEP pool fun and put on my game face for serious stuff. Of course, giving the OC, you have to keep your game face on anyways or it's over! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

sack316
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
you just reminded me of a league match I had against a good friend a few weeks back. He and I practice together all the time, and always have fun (in fact we are partnering up for a scotch doubles tourney soon). Well, when our Sunday teams crossed paths, both teams decided that was to be the grand finale for the evening. So we just played... of course both wanting to win, but above that was our normal fun, joking, compliments and insults we always toss back and forth in practice. It seemed all too soon that they called out "that's game". I won a close one, and we didn't even know it. We were just having so much fun we both shot great and had no idea either of us were even close to winning. I managed to win it, but it was one of those games you don't even mind losing, just because of the sport of the whole thing.

Good story Cane

Sack

nAz
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
hey Cane how are you?

I do that with a couple of friends almost every Thursday night for about 5 hours, ah what fun! we play a team 9b and 14.1 game. all we do is shark and generally harass each other until someone blows up and quits usually Cowboy Bill or like i like to call him BrokeBack Bill /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cane
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey nAz, doing great here... Next time we're together, how about a R-11 for a Hamburger with green Chilis!!! You have to give me the 6 and out, though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

FastJoey
03-05-2006, 11:09 PM
That's great that's what life is supposed to be about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pooltchr
03-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Hey Bob,
You are planning on coming to Charlotte in October with Randy again, aren't you? I want a rematch!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Cane
03-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Steve, You betcha! I'll be there with bells on, and tell poolK9 that I'm looking forward to spending a little more time getting to know him. I may come in a few days early, and I THINK we plan on doing 2 classes there, advanced and expert, so we should have a couple of "fun days" in between. Never can tell, I may drive the motorhome out for me and Randy to stay in since I'm going to be there longer. Feels a lot more like home than a hotel room! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rematch on... race to whatever for one of Johns Cheeseburgers!

Hey, and since we'll be a little more rested up, find a partner and Randy and I will probably be game for a little Scotch Doubles! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

Deeman3
03-06-2006, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> hey Cane how are you?

<font color="blue"> Cane is older than dirt but still younger than me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
what you doing up here?
this is "Blue State" country

pooltchr
03-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Bob,
As long as it isn't race weekend again, we can probably get John in on that match-up.
I would love to see us double up and do both classes. I'll take a week's vacation for that one!!!
Steve

Scott Lee
03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> I envy you, I can't find anyone that has a decent enough game to share my love of pool in my newly finished(well 90% finished) Rec. room. <hr /></blockquote>

No offense T.J., but you need to preface that statement with, "among my friends." Otherwise, you're not looking hard enough. There are many great poolplayers in Milwaukee...and probably some that would just play with you, without gambling. Most of them play at Romaine's all the time. You could also find some playing partners at your speed (or above) through the local pool leagues.

Scott Lee

Deeman3
03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> what you doing up here?
this is "Blue State" country <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> O.K., I'll go back into the Red Swamp.....BUt i've sat on the porch with Cane sipped beer, he is older than the dirt in Texas anyway.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>

Deeman

nAz
03-06-2006, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Hey nAz, doing great here... Next time we're together, how about a R-11 for a Hamburger with green Chilis!!! You have to give me the 6 and out, though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

WTF 6-out! damn, would you like a cup of coffee with that?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tjlmbklr
03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense T.J., but you need to preface that statement with, "among my friends." Otherwise, you're not looking hard enough. There are many great poolplayers in Milwaukee...and probably some that would just play with you, without gambling. Most of them play at Romaine's all the time. You could also find some playing partners at your speed (or above) through the local pool leagues.

<hr /></blockquote>

I know what you mean. it just seam like my pool playing hobby never took off like i wanted it to. I never established a group of friends that shared the games beauty. I am now established in other things, and pool has taken a very unfortionate back burner.

Don't get me wrong, it's still my first love, thats why I am hear talking about !

Cane
03-06-2006, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> O.K., I'll go back into the Red Swamp.....BUt i've sat on the porch with Cane sipped beer, he is older than the dirt in Texas anyway.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Older than dirt???? Hell, I knew the Rocky Mountains when they were the still Prairies... Yellowstone hadn't faded yet and was still green... The grand Tetons were just speed bumps... Did I ever tell you about the time I gave Moses the break and wild 8??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
03-07-2006, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Did I ever tell you about the time I gave Moses the break and wild 8??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I lost 20 drachmas in a side bet on that one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Man, that guy had a heck of a break!!!!!
Steve

Leviathan
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Good post, Cane.--AS

Keith Talent
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I've been lucky enough to get in on the post-tourney game with Naz and co. a few times when a regular is AWOL, and it's always a good time! And here's another vote for ring games, scotch doubles, etc. Makes things more easy-going. If only they sold beer, too, at this particular locale.