PDA

View Full Version : Reyes and Parica, over 50 and still amazing

recoveryjones
03-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I once read a mike Sigel quote that was something like this:
"Once you are 35 years old in pool, you are too old."

Not sure of his exact quote, however, he was basically saying that your game is starting to go down hill and you are past your prime years.

Reyes and Parica are in their 50's and still going strong as evidenced by Reyes recent IPT win and Parica's strong 2nd place finish at the 2005 US Open.These guys are still playing in MAJOR Tourneys and beating the young guys.

On the other hand USA legends(at a simuliar age) like Varner, Sigel,Davenport, Rempe etc etc (although still good) can no longer compete with the younger players and win at the Major tourneys.

Golf has some players who have done well in their late 40's (Nicklaus won a major) however, in most other sports when you hit 40-50 you are well past your prime and basically washed up.What Parica and Reyes can still do in pool and at their age, is nothing short of amazing.

Motivated by the money of the IPT players like Varner(and other older stars) are now practising hard and working on their physical fitness.I wish him and others the best and only time will tell if they can still compete.

As far as some of our older BD posters go:
How are you playing in your late 40's-50's...or older?
How much has your game gone down hill?
Can you still compete with the young guys?
Is it still possible to improve at 50?
Is anyone improving with age?
RJ

......RJ,turning 50 this summer and still hoping to kick some butt!!!

dg-in-centralpa
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
While I am no pro or close to it, I turn 47 next month and I'm playing better now than I did when I was in my 20's. I've learned more about the game, practice more, and can outplay the younger ones in my league who are shot makers. The shot makers don't know how to play safe or play position. On a side note, Davenport is just starting to come back since his accident. Let's hope he can get back in form again. Varner made a strong showing at the first IPT tourney.

DG

Brian in VA
03-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I'll be 49 in a couple of weeks. My game is far better now than it was in my 20s and 30s because I simply know more and play more. I'll be getting a table for my home for the first time this summer and will finally be able to practice more than 2 hours a week. I'll be out of excuses! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA - looking forward to having a more reliable game with more time to devote to it.

Drop1
03-04-2006, 01:39 PM
For some people thirty five is too old,and certainly by the laws of nature,you should not be alive. For other people,there seems to be no wall that prevents them from playing into their seventies; The wonders of attitude,and modern medicine.

recoveryjones
03-04-2006, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> For some people thirty five is too old,and certainly by the laws of nature,you should not be alive. For other people,there seems to be no wall that prevents them from playing into their seventies; The wonders of attitude,and modern medicine. <hr /></blockquote>

Nice post!!! Very inspiring....I'm off to the pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
RJ

"I'm not done,don't stick a fork in me yet!"

Rich R.
03-04-2006, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> As far as some of our older BD posters go:
How are you playing in your late 40's-50's...or older?
How much has your game gone down hill?
Can you still compete with the young guys?
Is it still possible to improve at 50?
Is anyone improving with age? <hr /></blockquote>
Let me say first, I have never been a great player and I am now in my mid fifties.

After taking about 30 years off, from playing pool, as many of us have, I returned to the game a few years ago. Today, I am playing as well, and maybe better, than I ever have.

When I returned to pool, I joined the APA as an SL-4, in 8-ball. Since then, I have slowly improved to an SL-6. I continue to improve and hope to become an SL-7, in time.

I regularly play in a weekly 9-ball tournament, where players my age are in the extreme minority, however, I have gained the respect of the younger players and no one takes me lightly. I am always a threat to finish in the money and have many times.

In the game of pool, I do not see age as something that should hold a player back. As long as you are physically able to walk around a table, hold a cue stick, and have the mental drive to play, I see no reason why you can not continue to play and improved. Parica, Reyes and Varner, as well as others, are prime examples of this.

Rj, don't worry about turning 50, hopefully, it will mean nothing more than you will have more time to play pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HALHOULE
03-04-2006, 08:45 PM
What specific reliability are you looking for?

Brian in VA
03-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Quote Hal, "What specific reliability are you looking for?"

I'm not sure I can answer that Hal. I miss shots for a variety of reasons, bad stroke, bad position, bad thoughts or no thoughts, bad aim. I guess I just feel like there is no magic bullet and that some serious practice time will improve my game. The one hour per week that I devote to practice and improvement has paid dividends over the past 18 months and I'd like to build on that. Please see the PM I sent you.

Brian in VA

mworkman
03-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Not sure of the spelling, but I read that Raymond Cuellamons won a world 3-cusion title at age 62. I think age might be a factor at the pro level. Even tho' Reyes is still playing great, I would think he is not playing the best of his career. It's just that he was soo good to start with, that even a lesser Reyes is still damn good. The man's a freakin legend.

As for me, I'm 41 and had the best showing at the State Tourney that I've ever had just this year. I believe that I will continue to improve over the next few years. If you have a strong desire, you will find a way to get better. If the desire isn't there, then it will be easy to use your age as an excuse to not be all that you can be. Eventually, age will catch up to all of us. Then, we can still enjoy this great game through teaching others what we've learned.