PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Jim "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya

preacherman
07-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Today I got my hold of a video called "POOL the Masters
Way", one of the players is Jim "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya.
I have not been able to find any information about him.
Can anyone tell me what has happened to him?

If it's not good please don't get into details. If he just moved
on to something else that's fine, just wondering??

Thanks,
Jim (GoProclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4Christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4Christ/)

07-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Since I've never heard another human being speak a kind word about Jimmy, I think you can pretty much expect no good news. But then, I've been wrong before /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

preacherman
07-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Lori,
I think they may have pooled it off the forum???
Which is fine with me if I was asking a sensitive
question to the pool world. No sense in trashing ANYONE.
So if they did pull it from the board so be it.

Jim

07-03-2002, 01:46 AM
if i'm not mistaken, he's shootin' pool where it's REALLY hot.

jjinfla
07-03-2002, 03:51 AM
Hi, I just got the same video (on Ebay) along with trick shots and learn from the very best which he is also in along with Ewa. I had never heard of him and only bought the videos because the Miz was in them. But, watching him I figure he probably fell in love with a mirror and can't leave it. LOL Jake

07-03-2002, 04:40 AM
partial snip:
But then, I've been wrong before
.................................................. .....

Are you using my line. I guess I was "WRONG AGAIN". LOL

Fred Agnir
07-03-2002, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> Hi, I just got the same video (on Ebay) along with trick shots and learn from the very best which he is also in along with Ewa. I had never heard of him and only bought the videos because the Miz was in them. But, watching him I figure he probably fell in love with a mirror and can't leave it. LOL Jake <hr></blockquote>
FWIW, Jim "Pretty Boy Floyd" won the World 8-ball championship back-to-back in the early 70's, and the All Around World Championship at one of the Stardust tournaments. Often a fan favorite, he has done many stints as color commentator on what used to be the Prime Network. His moniker was given by Wanderone during the time that they travelled together.

In 1989, he shocked some people by making it to the semi-finals of the televised Brunswick World 9-ball championship, besting an up-and-coming Johnny Archer before being bombed by Grady Matthews in the semis. Grady has quipped that the match was of the morning variety. Mataya was not of the "morning variety."

He had one line in the Color of Money. He might be best known, however, as the ex-husband of Ewa Mataya, now known as Ewa Laurance.

Fred &lt;~~~ lifelong fan of Pretty Boy Floyd

Nostroke
07-03-2002, 08:37 AM
Fred-I think the question is - Where is he now?

Fred Agnir
07-03-2002, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> Fred-I think the question is - Where is he now? <hr></blockquote>
I understood that. My response makes more sense in the Threaded View.

Fred &lt;~~~ guessing Jim's in Detroit.

Q-guy
07-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Did you copy that? Sounds like Jimmy wrote it himself. The last time I saw him was last year in Las Vegas. He was nuttier then ever. I think he may still be there.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Probably looking in a mirrow somewhere.

Regards,

C.C.~~a devoted fan of Ewa's.

07-05-2002, 09:29 AM
He's really not a bad guy at all once you take him away from gambling, Lorri; unfortunately, gambling is just about his entire life. It's interesting to me that you all think he has a giant ego; what he has IMO is a severe ego PROBLEM. He's a nice-looking guy, but ever try a conversation with him? His eyes are left, right, on the ceiling, on the floor, on your kneecap, anywhere but fixed on yours. When Fats dubbed him "Pretty Boy Floyd", it did him no particular favor, because it gave him all the excuse he needed NOT to figure out who Jim Mataya was. From that day on, it was all-black, porkpie hats, and sunglasses indoors.

As to the original question, Jimmy still lives in his hometown (Lansing, MI) and bets sports on the phone, apparently for pretty high stakes. He has no interest whatsoever in pool anymore. Ewa reports that Jim gets along with Mitch very well, whenever they intersect on his visits to his daughter, now in her mid-teens. GF

Nostroke
07-05-2002, 10:26 AM
I understand the "pretty boy" but where does the Floyd come from?

PQQLK9
07-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Probably from Pretty Boy Floyd the infamous Ganster

Vagabond
07-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Howdy Preacher,
I had dinner with him two years? ago when US open one pocket was held in Radisson hotel in K-Zoo,MI.I keep the memory of this because Gary Spaeth(Gary died a month or two later)droped by to talk to Jimmy.Jimmy at that time was sporting Ear ring and shirt tails hanging out. He is more into betting on ball games.By the way Fats called him Pretty Boy not for his looks but for his behavior( floyd was a gangster.I am not sure whether Jimmy deserves that comparison.Jimmy is a very nice guy and I like him. Cheers
Vagabond

07-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Nice to know that someone has a kind word to share George. I think it's infinately sad that there are people in this world who never experience that simple courtesy. Or deserve it. (not implying anything here, it is what it is.)

preacherman
07-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Thanks for a positive note on Jimmy Ataya.

Thanks,
Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)