PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick KOREA vs. JAPAN Ultimate Pool Challenge!

koreapropooltour
03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
BRUNSWICK KOREA PRO POOL TOUR PRESENTS:
DRAGON PROMOTIONS ULTIMATE POOL CHALLENGE!
TEAM KOREA VS. TEAM JAPAN

This years annual event pitted two of the top Asian powerhouses, Korea and Japan. Last year it was all Korea, winning decisively over it's arch rival,Japan.But this past February the air in Incheon, South Korea smelled a little less sweet for the Koreans as they knew their reign at top could soon be over. For the Japanese brought a different look this year with 3 new members to go along with Japan #1 ranked Hiroshi Takenaka. He felt an eagerness for revenge since last year he captained a team that was blown-out by the Korean's 9-5. So this time Takenaka, still ranked #1 in Japan was accompanied by Japan #2 ranked Goh Takami, Japan #3 ranked Shuji Nagata and the lady samurai Japan #1 ranked woman player Miyuki Sakai.

However, knowing this strategic move beforehand Korean Captain Shin-young Park called upon his secret weapon Heoun-ho Kim a.k.a. Charlie "The Korean Dragon" Williams. You see, Williams was actually born in Seoul, South Korea with the given name of Heoun-ho Kim. Since then,he has become the most successful Asian-American male pool player in history and of course the most successful Korean male player as well. Williams was quoted as saying: "I'm excited about the opportunity to represent Korea for the first time in my life. I'm a US citzen of course and the USA is my home, but I also have a Korean heritage I'm proud of. It's going to be cool to have that Korean flag on my shirt!".Along with Captain Shin-young Park and Williams are KPT #2 ranked Woong-dae Kim and KPT #2 Women's ranked Yun-mi Lim.

The room was full of excitement as Day 1 unfolded. Korea and Japan fought back and forth as they were deadlocked at 4 a piece by the end of the day. But with confidence, the Japanese fought hard on day #2. The crowd as well as the players were energized through-out the entire event. Both teams cheering on their companions during each and every match,hoping to provide some needed inspiration. But it was the strong and mighty Japanese team who finally ousted the Koreans on their home turf.After trailing 7-4, the Koreans fought back to make it 8-7 in favor of Japan but then Hiroshi Takenaka delivered the final dagger in the side of Korea as he beat Woong-dae Kim in an epic battle.

Last years Korea vs Japan TV ratings on MBC ESPN shattered all previous pool show ratings in Korean TV history. This year is expected to be no different.

Please feel free to email me with any questions or comments.

Stay tuned for more updates and pictures! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
03-06-2006, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He felt an eagerness for revenge since last year he captained a team that was blown-out by the Korean's 9-5. So this time Takenaka, still ranked #1 in Japan was accompanied by Japan #2 ranked Goh Takami, Japan #3 ranked Shuji Nagata and the lady samurai Japan #1 ranked woman player Miyuki Sakai.

However, knowing this strategic move beforehand Korean Captain Shin-young Park called upon his secret weapon Heoun-ho Kim a.k.a. Charlie "The Korean Dragon" Williams. <hr /></blockquote> This is hilarious, it reads like a horrible suspense novel. First off why would someone call it a strategic move to bring numbers 1, 2 and 3 along for competition (In the USA we call that common sense)? Hello, who else would you want to bring. However, after having this "revelation", he brings in his "secret weapon" the oh-so-amazingly-agonizingly-slow-playing Charlie Williams, who for now we will call, Heoun-ho Kim.

In the end what do we have? A Korean leader with a revelation and a secret weapon and still cannot win the tournament.

eg8r

Deeman3
03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I find this very interesting and good for pool that Korea hosted Japan for a battle between the two countries. It is nice to hear of a match that involves independent teams out side the USA. This can only be good for the spread of the game. There is a lot of pool talent out there that most of us don't ever get to see.

Thank-you for posting this information.

Deeman

Scott Lee
03-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Dee...I agree with you, with one exception. It's obvious that Charlie wrote this himself (with kind of a lame attempt at dramatic writing, imo), referring to himself in the third person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How absurd that is! Why not just write in the first person? You know, "Hi everyone, this is Charlie Williams, the Korean Dragon, writing to tell you about an exciting matchup that took place recently, between Team Korea and Team Japan." That would make a lot more sense, to me!

Scott

Deeman3
03-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Scott,

I am shocked. Surely, a reputable, stand up guy like Charlie would not stoop to a deception like that! I mean, just because he capitolizes his intro, just like Charlie, just because he, oh! I see.....

Well, I still think it's great that Japan took on Korea and that Charlie led them (the Koreans) to defeat (Is that what it says?). Anyway, I work with Koreans every day, I've just spent a week trying to convince them that pool would be a great little advertizing investment for them to make and now have half of them in love fits over Ga Young Kim so maybe I was too quickly defensive of the news release not knowing it was the Dragon pumping his wares....

Deeman
damn, I gotta get a better attention span hooked up here....Kenneth, what's the frenquency?

jjinfla
03-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Since everyone who read the thread automatically knew this was a post by Charlie Williams there is no deception involved.

Just a way of publicizing the event and adding humor in the presentation.

I thought it was quite good.

Jake

Rich R.
03-06-2006, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I am shocked. Surely, a reputable, stand up guy like Charlie would not stoop to a deception like that! <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Are we talking about the same Charlie????

This is just more of Charlie's spam, in a new package. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

koreapropooltour
03-07-2006, 12:53 AM
<hr /></blockquote> This is hilarious, it reads like a horrible suspense novel. First off why would someone call it a strategic move to bring numbers 1, 2 and 3 along for competition (In the USA we call that common sense)? Hello, who else would you want to bring. However, after having this "revelation", he brings in his "secret weapon" the oh-so-amazingly-agonizingly-slow-playing Charlie Williams, who for now we will call, Heoun-ho Kim.

In the end what do we have? A Korean leader with a revelation and a secret weapon and still cannot win the tournament.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

First of all, thanks for ripping me apart...

Second, why don't I tell you a little about myself. My name is Justin Vegas and I am originally from NYC, NY. I have been living in S.Korea for the last 7 years studying and now teaching the martial art of Hapkido. Pool has always been my passion, my love. I am years away from playing at the top level, but as an amateur I do work extremely hard at it. A few years back I was fortunate enough to meet Charlie Williams. I had seen him on t.v. and of course heard about him but never was able to meet him in person. I couldn't believe that I was this lucky, to have him right here in South Korea. Me being the only foreign face amongst the Koreans he walked right over to me and introduced himself. He has a great personality, very energetic and full of enthusiasm. I then watched him play and was even more impressed. Slow? Maybe that was a tactic he was using while you watched or played against him. It's obvious you have a grudge against him, am I right? As you can see, I am NOT a professional writer. I AM however, a huge fan of pool and an even bigger fan of Charlie. I write from my heart. I write to let people all over the world know about what's happening way over here in South Korea.

Let me ask you something, do you still think I am Charlie?

Justin_Vegas
03-07-2006, 01:10 AM
This is my new handle...

eg8r
03-07-2006, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, thanks for ripping me apart... As you can see, I am NOT a professional writer.
<hr /></blockquote> Hello, there are very few here on the board that are professional writers so no worries there. I was not ripping you apart, just the article that was posted, and I was not really "ripping" it apart as I thought it was funny. I was sure the intent was not comedy but that was how it came out. I am sorry for playing rough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as Charlie, you are correct that I do not care too much for him. He has been discussed at length here in the past. As far as him playing slow, this is not just my perception of his play but it is nearly everyone's perception of his play. I understand you are a fan of his and that might be some of the reason you don't think he plays slow. Maybe he did not play slow at that tournament (I doubt it), who knows. However, as far as my play against him, he did not play slow at all. Every time I have had the opportunity to play against him, he shot very quickly and whipped me every time. I don't know for sure, but my stellar ability (only in my mind) did not intimidate him so he did not worry about it too much if he missed. When he is playing against those of his caliber or better he seems to sloooooooowwwwwww way down.

[ QUOTE ]
I AM however, a huge fan of pool and an even bigger fan of Charlie. <hr /></blockquote> We are all huge fans of pool and thanks for joining the board. Awww shucks, even Charlie can have some fans (just kidding). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

eg8r
03-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Hey all, unless Charlie Williams is Justin Vegas, I guess it was just a pool fan with the write up. No one knows if Charlie did any proof-reading, but it definitely reads like something Charlie would write. Anyways, I do agree, it is awesome to hear about pool tournaments around the world.

Now will the winner, Japan, be taking on Team Philippines? I hear Manalo will take on the whole country (just kidding). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~big fan of Manalo after watching him rip through the KOH

DickLeonard
03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Deeman this could be due to the Oriental Mind set, not to brag about his accomplishments but write about it as a reporter and not a participant.####

Rich R.
03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreapropooltour:</font><hr>Let me ask you something, do you still think I am Charlie? <hr /></blockquote>
Justin, you will have to forgive us. Charlie has a long history of posting spam, in several forms, on all of the pool forums. Your post appeared to be more from Charlie.

Please join in our internet conversations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
03-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Justin...My apologies for thinking you were CW. Unfortunately, like Rich said, CW has posted here many times with posts similar to yours, and the 'handle' seemed too close to not be him (he goes by 'koreandragon' and you had koreapropooltour', which are quite similar). Also, as you can tell from the posts, CW is not very popular on the pool forums, for several reasons, one of which is that he NEVER posts as a player to be a part of a discussion, offer suggestions, or answer questions. He only posts to serve his own interests. Thanks for your insightful post about the Korea v. Japan matchup.

Scott Lee

Justin_Vegas
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hello everyone and thanks so much for the apologies. I didn't realize what I was getting into and can see clearly now why the harsh replies to my initial writing! I promise you all, I am here as a fan and not a promoter! It is tough for me over here in Korea. I feel like I am losing my social skills by not being around fluent English speaking individuals. I visit these billiard websites daily to keep up on the events back home. I enjoy letting people know what's happening over here on this side of the world as well...

For example, Korea is so far behind in the pool world. With an exception to Ga-young Kim. Really proud of her! You see in Korea, cushion billiards is the main thing rather than pocketball. When I first came here about 7 years ago, I couldn't find a pool table with pockets. And when I did, nobody knew how to play! And then, when I did go to play I was constantly stared at. Well, being a caucasion in Asia I often get stared at but this time it seemed a little more exaggerated. I asked my Korean buddy who was real hesitant to play in the first place why people are staring at us so much while we play on one of the only two pocketball tables in the room. He said that in Korea, the men play cushion billiards and the girls play pocketball. Welcome to Korea, Justin...lol

But as of late, pool has become huge here. Charlie has brought something exciting to this country that's about the size of Florida. I don't believe he is doing it for the money because quite frankly, there really isn't a lot of money for him to take.lol... Before him, pool was dead. He opened it up not only for the Koreans but for overseas U.S. Military as well as English teacher living abroad. I have been blessed to have been able to meet the greats. Archer, Hohmann, Immonen, Morris, Bryant, Souquet, Davis, Smith, Eberle, Barretta and tons of others from all over the world. With all the hostility between Korea and Japan it was so great to see them battling it out on the pool table in front a national audience instead of through politics or worse, war. Or maybe politics and war go hand in hand? lol... Anyways, life is good for me over here and it's been even better because of what Charlie and Cindy have brought to the table. I wish it wasn't a 17 hour plane ride between Korea and the states! Sure do miss my family and friends...

Well for those of you who took the time to read my babble, much appreciation! I don't get to speak much English these days so when I do get the chance, look out...lol

Like I said before, if you have any questions feel free to ask! I am an open book....

Justin