PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed

wolfdancer
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
somehow, my wireless network got screwed up....I had it back working, but it was now unsecured. It's secure now...but one desktop and my laptop will connect, but won't acquire an address.The problem seems to be a media disconnected state.
I googled media disconnect, found this site
web page (http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=28415) which led me to this
web page (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257)
I dl'd the winsock app to my memory key....but anybody have a better idea, before I do this?
I'm way over my head, with this stuff
thanks, in advance

nAz
03-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Jack did you manually input the IP, DNS and default gateway addies for both rigs?
if so i do not see any harm in trying the fix in the last link you posted.

Good luck.... btw off the subject, I hear the owner of craigs list is going to faze out RnR not sure how true this is, rumar or facts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cueless Joey
03-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Make sure the firewall in your puters are off.
Go to the command prompt.
type ipconfig /all, just to look at your ip.
then type ipconfig /release
then typer ipconfig /renew
If you can't renew your ip, there is something wrong.
Ping the gateway number ( you got that when you typed ipconfig /all ). If you can ping it, then you have connection. If you can't, then you are not connected.
The default number is 192.168.1.1 i believe.

wolfdancer
03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
nAz, thanks for the input....I'm not sure what i did, nor how I did it...roughly opened the network monitor on this desktop, pressed the setup button on the linksys router, got a new login? and this now works.....tried something like that on the
laptop, but it's not fixed...and since I have no idea what i really did to this...
I don't know about Craigslist...someone here turned me on to it. It's absed in SF, but i left almost 3 years ago. I left and Chris Pirillo (Lockergnome) moved there....guess the town wasn't big enough for 2 computer genious's. lol
I wouldn't blame Craig for shutting it down...it's worse'n the non pool section here.
thanks again for your help....I'm goign to try your's and and joey's tips tomorrow....right now I need to relax...two days to get this online....and if it stalls...probably another two days to fix it again

wolfdancer
03-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Joey, thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I must have missed school the day they taught computers...come to think of it though,I left school about 30 years before they invented them.....