PDA

View Full Version : Ladies! Being Challenged for $$$

9 Ball Girl
07-02-2002, 10:01 PM
So I also play in a BCA bar league. A couple of weeks ago, I beat the guy that I was playing. I screwed up position on the 8 ball ("Send a Postcard Shot"), so I played a safe. The guy I was playing decided to go for it, missed it, and left the 8 ball hanging. I then sunk it and shook his hand--as every corteous poolplayer does after a match.

He was seething. He came over to me a couple of minutes later and said that the reason I won is because I got lucky and because he let me. I told him that I didn't get lucky, he's the one that got unlucky! I was going to sink that ball regardless of where he left the cueball. As if! Anyway, to make an already long story short, he got even more pi$$ed off at my remark and asked me to play for $$$. (There's no way I'm going to play some pi$$ed off Dude for $$$). I told him thanks but I was not interested. He retorted with "what the little girl is scared to play me?" I just answered back and said that I no longer had use for him. I'd already beat him!

I'm still kicking myself in the bum for not taking the offer. I think I did the right thing though. Have any of you ladies ever been approached in this manner? Just curious

Wendy~~could've should've would've

PoolChick02
07-02-2002, 10:34 PM
As a matter of fact, I was in a similar situation as you before. Well, I was in a local tournament where mostly guys play, and I was the only girl in the tournament that day. Anyway, they called my name for the match and I quickly walked over to the table to see who I was playing. My opponent was shooting and as I approached the table he gave me a "You're a girl, you're not going to beat me" look. And to go even further, he told a group of his friends, "Don't worry I got this match, easy". Well, I didn't let it bother me and we started the match. After I beat him 3-0 >(with no games on the wire I might add), he was pretty ticked off. He did not even want to shake my hand, but I graciously did. He remarked,"I bet she can't beat me playing for money though". Before I could say anything, a friend of mine told him "I will back her playing you any day". Then the guy said, "Nah, I was only kidding" and left. I can't say that I have seen the guy again at the tournament.

Nostroke
07-02-2002, 11:12 PM
You did the right thing.

I remember when Teddy Garrahan won a big tournament in Stamford, beating Frankie in the finals. As Teddy was leaving with his trophy, Frankie ran out the door after him barking about playing for money. Teddy turned around just once, raised the trophy real high and then continued walking to his car. It was cool. That's what you did in so many words.

And Q-guy i gotta disagree with you. I go to lots of tournaments and I have never seen any type of sharking or bad sportsmanship among the women. I have seen every kind of shark and poor sportsmanship with the men though. The woman often smile and hug their opponent when they lose. The men more often then not can barely manage the mandatory hand shake.

Things have changed quite a bit since your wife stopped competing in my view. There is a better class of women now for sure!

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 12:55 AM
9 Ball Girl(Wendy),

I just can't believe what I'm hearing. I don't think the places your going to have gentlemen there. Surely, there not adults. I go along with woofin but that's a bit much. I guess all I can say is, some losers are truely losers.

I also, can't believe the comments made in the post I just read. I don't know the total deal but I think that was truely uncalled for.

Regards,

C.C.~~gentleman and a good loser.

07-03-2002, 03:54 AM
partial snip:
(with no games on the wire I might add),
.................................................. .....

What does games on the wire mean?

Lester
07-03-2002, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> partial snip:

What does games on the wire mean? <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Eddie, games on the wire means for instance in a race to 5, I give you two wins to start. All you've got to do is win 3 games, I have to win 5. ***Lester***

Doctor_D
07-03-2002, 05:23 AM
Good mroning:

The owner of the Tavern where I hang my hat from time to time use to shoot 8 Ball with me before I bruised his ego. One Thursday evening, in front of an all female audience, I defeated him 12 games to 2 before he quit stating that he would no long play with me. No money was on the table, just his over inflated ego which was damaged beyond repair.

Dr. D.

07-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Thanks Lester.
Around here you have to win a number of games equal to your handicap. Around here I'm a 5 handicap. Mon I played a 10. So he needed to win 10 games and I only needed to win 5. LOL at the "only".
When you reach the 10 level, then they start adding -1 or minus ones. Like Lanny is a 10-1. So if I would have played him he would need to win 10 games. And the -1 comes off my handicap and I would need to win 4 games. But you can't go any lower then winning 4 games. He played a girl that is an excellent 4. So she stayed at 4 games. And he had to win 11 games. I'm not sure how many minuses they add to someone handicap. There was an 11-1. He won the tournament. Before the tournament he hustled me for $5. I was his only fish that day. After winning the tournament you get raised 1 point. So next week he will be an 11-2.

Here's another sort of related question. After the tournament I watched Arturro play Lanny Charles. They put on a verbal show for all of us while trying to set up the match. Lanny finally said I'll go 10-8 and you spot 1 ball. Arturro didn't hesitate to say yes.

Arturro broke. Then he gets to take any ball on the table and spot in on the headspot or headstring if the headspot is blocked. They were playing 1 pocket for $25 a game. I understand that Lanny needs to win 10 games to Arturro's 8 games. But they were paying after each game. So how much money is there on the match?

Would any of you happen to know how good of a teacher Lanny is? Most of the people I talked to around the pool room were mentioning what an excellent player he was. But none seemed to mention him being a good instructor. But then I get the impressions that none of them show any interest at all in ever taking or at least paying for a lesson. And a few seemed to indicate he was ok as an instuctor. But no one I talked to had ever taken a lesson from him. And probably not from anyone else.

Lester
07-03-2002, 05:51 AM
Lanny finally said I'll go 10-8 and you spot 1 ball. Arturro didn't hesitate to say yes.

Arturro broke. Then he gets to take any ball on the table and spot in on the headspot or headstring if the headspot is blocked. They were playing 1 pocket for $25 a game. I understand that Lanny needs to win 10 games to Arturro's 8 games. But they were paying after each game. So how much money is there on the match?

Would any of you happen to know how good of a teacher Lanny is? Most of the people I talked to around the pool room were mentioning what an excellent player he was. But none seemed to mention him being a good instructor. But then I get the impressions that none of them show any interest at all in ever taking or at least paying for a lesson. And a few seemed to indicate he was ok as an instuctor. But no one I talked to had ever taken a lesson from him. And probably not from anyone else. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Eddie, it sounds like they were playing for $25.00 each game. This Lanny had to make 10 balls in his pocket and Arturro had to make 8 in his. He also was allowed to pick a ball (probably Lanny's easiest shot) and spot it. That's a tough game. Who was winning? ***Lester***

griffith_d
07-03-2002, 06:07 AM
You probably did the right thing, but you will always wonder,...what if. Next time you might go ahead and play. But, this time, if he was better than the "choke" indicated, he might have taken you. But, on the other hand, usually a mad person does not play well and you would have taken him out. I would have like to have seen that.

There are women in the tournaments where I play,..she beat me last night (actually I hung the 9 on the 5th game), but no matter, we are friends and usually play each other every week. She is a good shot and beats most everyone in the place from time to time.

Griff

07-03-2002, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Eddie, it sounds like they were playing for $25.00 each game. This Lanny had to make 10 balls in his pocket and Arturro had to make 8 in his. He also was allowed to pick a ball (probably Lanny's easiest shot) and spot it. That's a tough game. Who was winning? ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

Hi Lester.
But there are only 15 balls in the rack. I think Arturro won 1 game I watched.
There is a man who goes there a lot by himself. And he wanted to play with me last week. I had to leave and told him next time. So we ended up playing for about an hour. I can't really afford to pay $5 an hour when I could have waited another hour and played the $10 special from 2:00 am until 8:00 am or play the $5 special from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. So I missed a lot of their games. When I came back Lanny won a close game. One thing I did notice. And I seem to see this in the few weaker players I've seen play 1 pocket there also. All the safety play in 1 pocket seems to weaken the players shooting skills. I saw both Lanny and Arturro miss more makeable shots in the about 3 games I watched then either missed in the about 15 9 ball games I watched them play.

It was like stepping back in time. It reminded me of my high school days. They were arguing setting up games. Everyone wanting a spot or to give less of a spot. Just like we did when were kids. I felt like I was in a time warp. I wish I came back to pool about 5 years ago. Then I could have afforded to try playing some of them. Not that I think I would beat them. But I would love the action. And I would love to play players that good. And I get the impression they don't want to bother with anyone unless they can at least have a chance at winning a couple hundred. And I just don't have that to give away. And I don't ever remember asking anyone for a spot. I don't know if I would like that. But realistically I can't compete with any of them straight up.

I did play a couple people that spot me. It was in either 81 or 87. Someone took me to a tavern in Cicero. I played someone called Rocket Man. He was beating everyone for $5 a game. And I kept getting back in line. Then later he wanted to play me a set. We met a couple days later at the IL Billiard Club. I think he spot me the 6, 7, &amp; 8 in 9 ball for $100. You had to get 10 games ahead to win. After he beat me we played again a few days later. He gave me the break, 5, 6, 7 &amp; 8 and I believe he beat me again. But this Rocket Man would just keep asking. For hours. He wouldn't stop. And he was a likable person.

Around that time there was this other guy coming there with a backer with lots of money. He was Louie Compos. He was from Mexico. I was told he was the world champion or Mexican Champion in 3 cushion. And they were going around everyplace trying to hustle 9 ball. He wanted to play me 3 cushion. He endend up offering to play my friend. My friend is a good 3 cushion player. But we would always just bring in 2 or 3 six packs and played for 5 to hours once or twice a week. So I set up for him to spot my friend 25 out of 50 billiards for anything from $100 to $500 a game. This was a lot of money for me because I only made about $200 a week. So I think this was in 81 before I was married. The day before he was to play I was playing Rocket Man for that second time.

Louie backed out of the match. Now he kept challenging me. I told him I never asked for a spot from anyone. That Rocket Man had offered it to me. And I said my friend beats me by 10 to 15 billiards a game in games to 25. Why should I take 25 from you when you offered him 25. These were for 50 points games. And he wanted me to guarantee to play until I lost $200. I couldn't quit after just 1 game for $100. When he agreed I could quit if I lost the first $100, I played him. I got lucky and won. Now he demanded I drop the spot to 20. Back when I played I never quit on anyone. I said I know I can't beat you with 20. Let's just quit. Back then it was acceptable to quit instead of changing the spot. It wasn't considered quitting on someone. Then the usual. You can't quit while you're ahead etc. So finally I said I'll play you 1 game with 20. But if you win I'm quitting even. After he beat me he kept after me. Finally he said I'll give you 25 again but only for $200 or more. I said I'm happy to just have had the chance to play someone as good as you. When I ran 7 from the break that tied my longest run ever. Without that fast start you would have beat me then too. If you want I can be back with my friend in about 1 1/2 hours. He will play you with 25 for up to $1000 a game. But I ended up playing him one last game with 25 for $200. But I told him win or lose I'm only playing 1 game. And then we quit. And I just left.

07-03-2002, 07:00 AM
Wendy wrote: "Have any of you ladies ever been approached in this manner? Just curious"

Are you kidding? Like...every day. LOL!

Lots of big egos out there and when they're not woofing at you, they're woofing at someone else about you, and it's always after you beat them, and it's always about how you can't play.

One guy got in my face after I beat him in a local tournament and yelled, "I can beat you on my worst day!" I said, "You mean you have worse days than this??"

It's pool. Get used to it.

Fran

Kato
07-03-2002, 07:04 AM
Wendy I've played plenty of girls in leagues, beaten most but certainly lost enough that I don't remember the games and faces. I didn't win because I was a "guy" and she was a "girl". I lost because she played better than I did and won, same as every guy I've lost to.

I don't like to lose, I'm a gentlemen and a gracious loser. People like that give guys like me a bad name and I'm ashamed for them. Thanks ladies, for continuing to play with us and against us. The more the merrier.

Kato

Jay M
07-03-2002, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Lanny finally said I'll go 10-8 and you spot 1 ball. Arturro didn't hesitate to say yes.

<hr></blockquote>

In one pocket for money, there are rarely any races, it's usually per game. 10-8 means that one player needs to make 10 balls to win and the other player only needs to make 8. I've never heard of the part about spotting any ball on the table. Voodoo? ever heard of that particular proposition?

Jay M

07-03-2002, 07:13 AM
partial snip:
I've never heard of the part about spotting any ball on the table. Voodoo? ever heard of that particular proposition?

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;

I never really seen 1 pocket played until recently. There is an old guy at 63rd that plays it against a lot of younger players. I've never seen him lose. When Lanny kept trying to get a 1 pocket match with anyone, I mentioned I've seen Vince play 1 pocket. Lanny just laughed. He said he won't play me. I wouldn't waste my time. I'm figuring Arutrro figured in case he left Lanny a shot, this part of the spot would be helpful. Arturro was breaking.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2002, 07:14 AM
9 Ball Girl,

Wish there was a way to make all those egotistical a$$holes find a place where they can only play against each other..

07-03-2002, 07:32 AM
This isn't exclusively a women's thing. Men do it to men just as much. I once beat Robert Saez getting the five ball (years ago) like it was nobody's business and he immediately started barking at me to play for $50 a game with the same weight. My response was simple, "I'm sorry, I'm busy. I'm still in the tournament. Have a nice night."

There's a lot of ego in pool, especially when the women are involved. There will come a point in your life where you'll feel more comfortable turning around and saying, "POST!" every time they start proposing bets. Until then, don't sweat it. You really did get the last word and there's nothing they can do to take that away.

The fact is, any player who can claim they've never lost to a woman is simply a player who hasn't gotten around much. I've even seen Ginky pay the lady. Reacting the way your opponent did merely shows more about his lack of character then anything else. If that's the way he loses, I'd hate to see him win.

Jude M. Rosenstock

cuechick
07-03-2002, 07:54 AM
You definatley took the high road, have no regrets. You wil encounter a lot of sore losers on your journey it is the nature of competition. In bar league type play, you often encounter men who have never been beaten by a woman and can't handle it.
I captained probally the best all woman team in NY for years and we changed divisions after winning ours 3 times i a row. Just to have a new challenge. I still remember this guy asking my teammate why we'd switched, after she said we won the old one 3 times. He said "Wow it must have been a very weak division" this as we kicked his own teams butt! We went on to win that division and the citys and went on to Vegas!
What-EVER!
You did not get lucky, you played a smart safe, and he went for the stupid, ego driven sell out!

Rich R.
07-03-2002, 08:07 AM
A win is a win and a loss is a loss. It makes no difference who is on the other side of the table.
Rich R.~~~always a gracious winner and loser.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-03-2002, 08:09 AM
Did you do the right thing? Depends on how comfortable you are playing for money.

A good friend of mine was the first (and only) female APA skill level 6 in our local area. She frequently is asked to play for money by the guy she just beat in the league. These guys have huge egos and they just can't resist. Well, I have never seen her lose a money match. She plays better for money than she does in the league. She's a single mom and not wealthy so I always back her. Nothin' big-$10 or $20 a game. I hate to stay out that late but it's worth it to go home with an extra $40 or $50 in my pocket.

So there's no right or wrong. If you like playin' for $$ do it. If you don't want to don't let some a-hole goad you into it.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2002, 08:46 AM
found this and couldn't resist or go to this link.
http://www.billiardworld.com/women.gif
http://www.billiardworld.com/women.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Oh, I definitely have played for money. Sometimes I lose, sometimes I win, and sometimes I break out even. It's all part of the game. This particular cat was obnoxious and definitely had an ego that needed to be fed. I wasn't in the mood to "cook". /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

PQQLK9
07-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Funny Picture

heater451
07-03-2002, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr>partial snip:

What does games on the wire mean?]
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Eddie, games on the wire means for instance in a race to 5, I give you two wins to start. All you've got to do is win 3 games, I have to win 5. ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>The actual phrase comes from having the count marked on a physical wire. Nowadays, it's usually plastic balls, but I think straight-pool scores used something more akin to flattened beads, like on an abacus. (Does anyone know what those are called?)

Q-guy
07-03-2002, 09:29 AM
I deleted that post because some things may be better off not said. No point in offending anyone. You may be right about the women now playing. Back then most were low life's.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;Lanny finally said I'll go 10-8 and you spot 1 ball. Arturro didn't hesitate to say yes.

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

In one pocket for money, there are rarely any races, it's usually per game. 10-8 means that one player needs to make 10 balls to win and the other player only needs to make 8. I've never heard of the part about spotting any ball on the table. Voodoo? ever heard of that particular proposition?

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

Hi Jay,

The 10-8 spot a ball is just simply 10-8. The one who makes the first ball is given a bead to show they have one instead of the physical ball being present in their ball holder. The reason this is done is to keep the score right. They both have to be able to win by one ball. It puts another ball in play with the remainder a player can still win. For example: the score is 7-7. Player A needs 1 ball and player B needs 3 balls. Player B can't win because there's only 15 balls. In order for the score to be right it has to be player A having 6 physical balls and a marker for 1 ball. Then, that makes 13 total balls down and 3 on the table.

I play a guy 11-7. We spot 2 balls to get the score makable for both. Either player can spot the ball, and get the marker. Jay the way I explained it was not to insult your experience but to help others that don't know quite how it works.

Regards,

C.C.~~Loves one hole.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi Eddie,

Do me a favor and ask Aurturo if he knows Chris Cass? hahah He might not remember me but he's ok. I know Lanney too but much too stuck on himself to remember me. lol Lanney used to shoot really well at one time. As far as an instructor. He is BCA qualified.

Just some friendly advice. Before you jump into any games with these guys. Think twice and just watch them real close. Not knocking, just protecting. LOL Your part of the family now Eddie.

Regards,

C.C.

07-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Chris. I understand what you are saying. If I can make it next Mon I will try to check with Arturro or Lanny. It was the first time I saw Lanny there. And Arturro hasn't been there every week because of work sometimes. I've only been there 3 Mondays so far.

I saw Arturro break the first game. I din't see any balls go in. He walked around the table looking at the balls. He picked up one that was hanging out by itself near the foot rail. And he lined it up on the headstring behind the rack. But I will try and check this Mon.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Wendy wrote: "Have any of you ladies ever been approached in this manner? Just curious"

Are you kidding? Like...every day. LOL!

Lots of big egos out there and when they're not woofing at you, they're woofing at someone else about you, and it's always after you beat them, and it's always about how you can't play.

One guy got in my face after I beat him in a local tournament and yelled, "I can beat you on my worst day!" I said, "You mean you have worse days than this??"

It's pool. Get used to it.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

Hi Fran,

I can't believe these guys. I've never would believe it if, I didn't see it here first. What are you doing to these men Fran? Beating them up in front of other women too. LOL Do me a favor. The next time, one of these poor excuse for a man gets in your face. Place your hands on each one of his shoulders and look him straight, in the eye. Then, ask him what his favorite soda is, Orange, Grape or NeHi? When you say NeHi, bring your knee up hard and hi. LOL Then, get the heck out of there. LMAO I doubt he'll be saying to much.

Really Fran, although woofing is part of the game. You or any other women shouldn't be disrespected by these, so called men. A real man wouldn't talk to a woman like that. I don't believe any woman should have to get used to disrespect. It's a total shame and embarrasses descent men, all over the world. Another is Battered women by men. It boils my blood. It just isn't right. Woofing is part of the game but, disrespect and invading someones personal space in a threatening mannor isn't. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~men united to teach others respect, and to show what pool's all about.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> Chris. I understand what you are saying. If I can make it next Mon I will try to check with Arturro or Lanny. It was the first time I saw Lanny there. And Arturro hasn't been there every week because of work sometimes. I've only been there 3 Mondays so far.

I saw Arturro break the first game. I din't see any balls go in. He walked around the table looking at the balls. He picked up one that was hanging out by itself near the foot rail. And he lined it up on the headstring behind the rack. But I will try and check this Mon. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Eddie,

If that's the case then, they worked out their own deal. There are some games that aren't part of the rules of one pocket. That add spots or seem to be spots, to make the other people think they have the advantage.

I know someone that gave Jon Kucharo a no foul or scratch counted and still won. That's a strong spot IMO. One pocket is chess pool. The reason they miss so many balls verses balls made in 9 ball is, The idea is to push the balls by your hole. No necessary making it but leaving it there for a threat. Also, it's more cb placement that counts. This is why the game is good for cb control and safety play.

Regards,

C.C.

Jay M
07-03-2002, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Hi Jay,

The 10-8 spot a ball is just simply 10-8. The one who makes the first ball is given a bead to show they have one instead of the physical ball being present in their ball holder. The reason this is done is to keep the score right. They both have to be able to win by one ball. It puts another ball in play with the remainder a player can still win. For example: the score is 7-7. Player A needs 1 ball and player B needs 3 balls. Player B can't win because there's only 15 balls. In order for the score to be right it has to be player A having 6 physical balls and a marker for 1 ball. Then, that makes 13 total balls down and 3 on the table. <hr></blockquote>

Yup, that's the way I've always played it (maybe 15 racks in my life).

The way it was described in the original post sounded like the player with lesser skill was allowed to spot a ball up after the break, not after it went in. That was a bit confusing to me.

Jay M &lt;--- hates 1 hole, give me straight pool any day

Michelle
07-03-2002, 12:10 PM
I think in this instance she meant that it never got down to just the 8-ball...it seems she beat him 3-0 pretty easily.

Vicki
07-03-2002, 12:36 PM
WOW!!! That's a tough one. Good story, by the way. This probably happens all the time! I would definately be tempted to gamble with him but that could have made a bad situation worse!

I have rarely had a guy get as upset as you described... Recently though, I had a guy who would not shake my hand and threw his cue down on the ground. He walked around the pool room mumbling about what I b**** I was and how I didn't deserve to win. (meanwhile, I spanked his a$$ in a race to 5 - he didn't win a game - not even close). I think he was so determined to beat me that he got himself so worked up he just couldn't make a ball. Later he came over to appologize for his bad behaviour and he has gone out of his way to be friendly to me ever since.

More often, the guys just look like I cut their balls off and shake my hand.

My bet is that if you said you would gamble with him he would have backed down anyway.

Thanks for the great post! Take care.

Karatemom
07-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Wow! I do believe there are some guys that just can't play against a woman. The way this man treated Wendy was comletely uncalled for and I think she did the right thing.

I also had a guy pi$$ed at me last week. He went around the ph calling me a b____ as well, but never said a word to me. Didn't have the guts I guess. He was so upset, he was still angry when he played his next match, in the loser's bracket.

At least he was good enough to apologize for his behavior, even though he wouldn't have had to apologize if he didn't behave that way to begin with.

Heide ~ believes the best way to handle guys like these is to beat 'em heads up, LOL

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2002, 03:09 PM
It's kind of funny when I think about it. We play in a round robin format in teams of 5. I remember he wound up leaving the bar and left his team to forfeit any games he had left to play. Tee hee Tee hee /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rod
07-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Wendy, I'm sure it happens all the time. Recently I played a lady in a tournament match, and I lost. I played terrible and she got very lucky several times. However when it was over I said nice game you played very well. Then I shook her hand with a smile. She deserved to win, be it female or male. There are so many players that just can't stand to get their egos crushed, with a brain the size of a peanut!
Even the best players don't always win, so anyone playing this game had better get use to that fact, or their in for a long miserable life of playing pool. But it doesn't end there.

PoolChick02
07-03-2002, 04:08 PM
Yea,where I live games on the wire are given to women in tournaments. &gt;Meaning we get a free game win. However,at this place the tournaments are race to 3, and do not give games on the wire to women. We play even.

phil in sofla
07-03-2002, 04:49 PM
About saying 'post!' when being woofed at to play for bigger bucks:

My friend did that in response to someone challenging her to a set for $100 or $200. She reached into her bag, pulled out the bankroll, fanned the 20s, and told him to post. He couldn't really back down, even if he hadn't intended to do anything but bluff and bluster. Took the first 3 games from her, in a race to 5, but then she got to the hill with him, and beat him. The guy no longer woofs at her, LOL!

07-03-2002, 05:20 PM
I,ve never had that come up in league, but have it had it come up in bar situations- even in a big room when I am just there to work on drills. If a guy is particularly obnoxious i will often take him up on it- sometimes I win, sometimes I lose- but generally, they will in the end acknowledge respect for someone who can play the game, especially if you are gracious when you lose and don't bitch about paying up. Of course, if they never win a game- it's another story. had one guy star out a buck a game (small town bar)- pretty soon he wanted to double the bet each game, and the more he lost, the more pissed he got, and the worse his game got. He was really being a jerk, and my friend Karen was there with me, so we agreed I'd take him to $50 a game, then she'd jump in for comic relief- but his wife came in and hauled him out of the bar before he blew his entire paycheck..... he did pay- by throwing the money in the air as he left... Patti

Voodoo Daddy
07-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Races in 1-hole? Sure, Derby City 2000 saw a race or an ahead set for 60k with one player getting a ball. Derby 2002 had Stalev playing an american player a very long ahead set as well. There are a few stories of a man getting spotted 15-5 for very large $$$ in Florida but I wasnt there so I cant say for sure.

Voodoo

07-03-2002, 06:43 PM
The first tri-state tournament I ever played in I got into a similar situation.I was playing this horrible guy for the chance to get in the finals. I beat him by two games, and the final game I got him on three fouls (Okay, so maybe I am a bitch!)LOL He walked away before I could offer a handshake, snarling and muttering. Two seconds later he turned around and very literally snarled at me "You want to play for the money you're going to win? I'll play you till the cows come home!" I won the tournament, and to this day I treasure the picture of me standing in the middle of two smacked a$$ looking guys with a big, $hit-eatin' grin on my face!!
These days not too many folks treat me like that, but then again, my best friend did used to make his living bare knuckle brawling! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Do you think that might have something to do with the attitude adjustment? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

07-03-2002, 07:26 PM
NeHi Soda? Ha! I never heard that one before. Of course you're right that that kind of thing shouldn't happen, but it does.

Well I'm not so sure which is worse, actually...to say something directly to the woman or to put on an act in front of her and then stay stuff about her behind her back.

It's not just me, Chris. I see it happen to other women all the time. Luckily for them in most cases they don't know what the guys are saying about them.

As for myself, well...I guess I'm too good a detective. LOL!

Fran

07-03-2002, 07:39 PM
This stuff happens to men also. Last Thur I finally won matches against my firtst 3 opponents. I'm a 5. And they were a 4 &amp; two 4 1/2s. I came from being donw 1-3 to win 5-3 in all 3 matches. And two of the younger players asked if I ever gamble. But they really couldn't ask me to play for anything becasue I still had to play in the tournament. I said I haven't gambled since I just restarted playing. But when I was your age we would usually play for time and a buck or two. Sometimes more like $5 or $10.

They obviously felt they were better players. They were all outshooting me at the start. But not at the end. So I don't think they were actually picking the best time to be considering playing someone for money. Unless they thought most of my comeback was all luck. So I guess many players hate to lose to anyone they think they are better then. But some definitely are worse if they are playing a woman. So that's an extra advantage you women can have over them if you care to use it.

cheesemouse
07-03-2002, 08:14 PM
9 Ball Girl,
This is what happened the first time I tried to gamble with a woman: I used to ask my first opponent in any tournament if he want to bet the entry fee on the match. It was just something I always did no matter who the opponent was, I thought it was a good move even if they didn't wish to bet it was thought provoking and maybe distracting. The first time my opponent was a woman I didn't know what to do so I just kiddingly asked her. She turned around and went to the bathroom. I minute or so later her husband came up to me and calmly explained that it was her first ever time playing in an open event. She had only played with woman to that date. He said she was in the bathroom crying and getting sick. I was ashamed of myself and I haven't done it since. Her and I had a good match and she enjoyed the event. She later told me that she was so nervous that when I said that she just went over the edge and ran to the bathroom. We had a good laugh over it later. She and her husband had cocktails with me later and we were laughing so hard it just snowballed out of control.......a fond pool memory...... LOL

cuechick
07-04-2002, 08:31 AM
since I met you in Vegas I have a hard time imagining anyone calling you a B***h! So I know it was not your conduct but the simple fact that you beat him and you are a woman? Amazing!
I had a talk once with one of the older men who plays in my home PH and he told me how hard it is for some of the men his age to even accept the mere presence of woman in the room.
I noticed there is a group of older guys that never ask me to play and only play with men...I do not take it personally, it just is not comfortable for them.
I have played a few of them in league and though they are respectful I can tell they are uncomfortable. With younger men, it is purely ego. I must say most men I play are cool and do not think twice (I believe) about playing me...
It is funny really, we think we have evolved so much...yet pool maintains many vortexes where evoultion has had no effect!

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2002, 08:38 AM
I would love to be able to play all the ladies posting in this forum.

To me, Pool players are just that, Pool Players.

Men, Women, old, young, beginners, veterans, Pros, Pool Hall owners, league players, tournament players.

All of these players are just that... PLAYERS.

I do not distinguish between any of them.

I do not play with bigots, poor sports, bad mouthed complainers, or JERKS.

There are too many players that are respectful of the game for me to have to play with the underbelly of pool.

Karatemom
07-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the nice words. Even though I can be quite a handful when I want to, when I get on the table, I'm there to do one thing, shoot. I mean business and that's how I act. It doesn't matter who I'm playing, I treat everyone the same, even the ones that I can't stand, LOL.

Heide

Barbara
07-04-2002, 09:28 AM
You know cuechick, I have the same group of men thinking the same way in the room I go to, also. Then again, I have another group that says to me that they've been waiting to see my face on a milk carton when I haven't been there in a while.

When the room used to have 9-ball tournies (no handicap) I used to be there like clockwork just so I could make the guys play me. And I beat a few, too.

Barbara~~~and if you grab the little hairs on the backs of their necks, it hurts juuuuust as much....

Q-guy
07-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Maybe they just wanted to play, and all the psycho-bable has no meaning. A match happens by one of the players asking the other to play. It isn't that deep. It is just a pool game. I think the biggest problem from what I have been reading here, and not just regarding yourself, is the reaction of the ones being asked to play. They seem to take it as some kind of threat to their self esteem if they have to, or want to say no for what ever reason. They actually get mad at the other person just because they were asked to play. I have often asked someone to play later that I had lost to in a tournament. Not because of some need to get even with them, but having played it is a social opening to ask them to play. It seems more appropriate to ask them if I have lost, then if I just drilled them. There is no hidden agenda I just want to play. That is why I came to the tournament. I won't ask someone to play I already know doesn't match up, just to hear them say know. But if I don't know the person, of course I am going to ask them to play. If they take offence to it that is their problem.

Q-guy
07-04-2002, 10:12 AM
That is often how a hustler operates. Someone wants to call his bluff and finds he is not bluffing. Saying "Post" to strangers is not a very good idea, unless you really mean it yourself. In your story you feel you trapped the guy and he could not back down. More times then not, you will be in the trap.

07-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Wendy: You handled the situation very well; you're a strong person, obviously. However, you care about winning, and--please forgive me--that's a clear indication of naivete. One does better to play for the pleasure of planning and executing series of shots--and to get money, which is simply a necessity of life. When a plausible stranger jabs at your ego to pull you into a money game, it's time to duck a hustle. --Brujo

Q-guy
07-04-2002, 11:19 AM
Just to play devils advocate, can there be something you do when you play, and especially when you win that triggers this in the other player. There is such a thing as a bad winner. We have all player them. They in fact may be reacting to you as an individual. Humility is best whether winning or losing. Just something to think about.

JimS
07-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Q-guy.....I can't begin to tell you how glad I am you came back to the ccb. Your posts are always knowledgeable, insightful, rich with personal experience and certainly straight-forward. AND..you've even become temperate! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif All qualities that I admire and value. Thanks.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2002, 11:34 AM
JimS,
echoing the same. Q-Guy.. good to see ya posting again..

9 Ball Girl
07-04-2002, 06:58 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, Q-guy. But I behave the same way as I do when I lose. I shake my opponents hand and I'll say something like good shooting, or good game--depending on how the game played out. Afterwards, I'll just sit and wait for my turn again.

9 Ball Girl
07-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Again, I agree with you. I guess it's one of those situations in which you had to be there. We play in a round robin format and this guy was getting nasty with my other team mates that he lost to. I have played with people that I have beaten and it's a total friendly game. This guy was just getting on everyone's nerves. Even his own team captain!

SPetty
07-05-2002, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> To me, Pool players are just that, Pool Players.

Men, Women, old, young, beginners, veterans, Pros, Pool Hall owners, league players, tournament players.

All of these players are just that... PLAYERS.

I do not distinguish between any of them.

I do not play with bigots, poor sports, bad mouthed complainers, or JERKS.

There are too many players that are respectful of the game for me to have to play with the underbelly of pool. <hr></blockquote>Hi Tom,

Exactly! Today, Tom, you are my favorite poster! Very well said.