PDA

View Full Version : Bush: Fight outsourcing with education, not trade

DebraLiStarr
03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
<font color="blue"> I found this today at www.accountsworld.com (http://www.accountsworld.com) - its the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. </font color>

Bush concedes outsourcing hurts U.S. workers, but says trade barriers aren't the answer
Associated Press WorldStream via NewsEdge Corporation :

WASHINGTON_President George W. Bush says he feels the pain of American workers who have lost their jobs to a cheaper workforce overseas. But he believes that education _ not trade protectionism _ is the answer to deal with the increasing globalized world.
<font color="blue"> With jobs being outsourced to India, what good is an education going to do? Lets just have a bunch of unemployable college grads. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif</font color>

Bush discussed the politically sensitive issue in New Delhi on Friday, wrapping up a three-day stay in India. The country's rapid growth has created anxiety among Americans, especially as they have seen call center jobs, back-office administrative work, software programming and other white collar jobs move there.

"It's painful for those who lose jobs," Bush said. "But the fundamental question is, how does a government or society react to that. And it's basically one of two ways. One is to say, losing jobs is painful, therefore, let's throw up protectionist walls. And the other is to say, losing jobs is painful, so let's make sure people are educated so they can find _ fill the jobs of the 21st century," he said.

<font color="blue"> Huh??? HE DID NOT JUST SAY THAT. This is the way I interpret it - "Hey guys, tough $hit... the Gov't in India is willing to toss us some political leverage in exchange for the jobs - stay in school like good little boy and girls and someday we'll toss you a cookie. Go ahead and get your educaton, we dont know what you're going to do with it, but hey... what the hell. </font color>

Congressman George Miller, the highest-ranking Democrat on the House Education and Workforce Committee, argued that Bush's failed trade policies and his lack of vision are hurting U.S. workers. "American workers all over the country are watching as their jobs disappear and their paychecks shrink while their government sits by and does nothing," Miller said.

<font color="blue">I wonder how this clown voted on NAFTA and other ass-clown legislation that has opened teh door up for companies to legally outsource jobs for tax breaks. This was Clinton Policy - remember the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 (Clinton)- they decided to tax the top 2% - well hey guys.. this is how the top 2% is making up for it. </font color>

Last year, 11,375 U.S. workers were laid off because their jobs were moved overseas, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In many of those cases, Mexico and China were cited as the place where the jobs were going, a bureau official said.

<font color="blue">Mexico - due to NAFTA
China - Due to low wages and an abundance in projected productivity. I posted a link yesterday to an article that outlined the energy crisis in China, and how Mexico was quick to form an association with them. Now we're in danger of having Commnist China setting up shop in our own backyards and there's nothing we can do about it.</font color>

In 2004, 16,197 workers were laid off because their job was moved overseas. The figures don't capture all layoffs _ only the bigger ones, the official said.

For American companies seeking to compete on a global scale, India is a magnet _ especially for white-collar, service-sector employees _because of the lure of lower-wage, highly educated workers who also are fluent in English, experts say.

<font color="blue"> This is a smokescreen. Lower wages are an excuse. These companies are receiving tax breaks, and they are getting around OSHA, they dont need to provide medical care - and above all else, they are exempt from import tax. </font color>

India's outsourcing industry alone is expected to bring in $22 billion (18.3 billion) in revenue this fiscal year, much of that generated by U.S. companies.

<font color="blue">While we ae going to hell in a handbasket. Yesterday they were winning our friggin Spelling Bees, now they are winning our jobs. Way to go, Aboo. </font color>

Blue-collar factory jobs in the United States, meanwhile, have been more likely to be moved to China or Mexico, experts say.

<font color="blue">This is where I smell a rat. Read this article:

China's Import Taxes as Returns to Rent Seeking (http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/491.html)

With China trying to erase a unbelievable Trade Deficit, I find all of this new-fangled western hemisphere presence to be suspect. This part is what interested me...</font color>

<font color="brown"> China, under fire from both the U.S. and the E.U. over surging trade deficits, has decided to fire back.

Beijing announced yesterday that it was raising export tariffs on textiles starting June 1. Textile exporters will now be taxed up to an extra 4 yuan (48 cents) on 74 types of clothing -- a five-fold increase over existing tariff levels.

The decision comes on the heels of warnings issued earlier in the week from Washington that the Bush administration was considering limits on the imports of Chinese textiles
</font color>

<font color="blue">Well... Duhhhh. To get around this, they have struck a deal with the Chinese. Who cares if our own people are out of a job and eating dog food? </font color>

Although many Indians live on less than $2 (1.66) a day, the country's middle class has swelled to more than 300 million _ which represents an attractive market for U.S. companies to sell their goods and services.

<font color="blue">Thats right - we wont have jobs, we cant buy anything. </font color>

The United States should see this rapidly growing nation as a land of opportunity instead of a threat, Bush said. America's best response to globalization is not to erect economic barriers to protect workers, but educate them to make sure they can compete on any stage, Bush said.

<font color="blue">Damn skippy... be nice to these people... some day they will own us. </font color>

Economists and other experts agree that education _ especially in math and science _ is a critical way for workers to stay competitive.

"The United States has a lot of catching up to do," said Jacob Kirkegaard, an economist at the Institute for International Economics.

<font color="blue">We're behind because education is not taken seriously in this country. This hasn't happened overnight either.</font color>

In 2004, China graduated about 500,000 engineers, India, 200,000 and the United States, 70,000, according to a report called "Rising Above the Gathering Storm" issued last fall by an advisory panel of the National Academies.

<font color="blue">Most of them atteneded US colleges and Universities on scholarships that our kids couldn't compete for. </font color> [b]

The report also found that 12th graders in America performed below the international average on a test of general knowledge in math and science.

[b] <font color="blue"> Because we have confused "teaching" with "dissiminating information" - big difference. Everybody that has been to college had those professors that would never teach - just tossed out assignments and information with little or no explanation. This is also happening in our public school system.Teachers are underpaid, and students are under-educated. </font color> [b]

Even with an emphasis on education, workers' can't be guaranteed that their jobs will stay in this country, some economists said.

[b]<font color="blue"> Of course not. Thanks to unionization and health care laws and other federal regulations facing these larger companies, you can understand why they would make the decision to outsource to increase productivity as well as profits. </font color>

Moreover, U.S. workers also face the challenge of trying to figure out what the jobs landscape will look like in the future.

"Any attempt to forecast what skills will be needed 10 years from now is just folly," said Josh Bivens, economist at the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal leaning group. "If 10 years ago someone told you financial analysts were a job that was going to be exposed to intense global competition, a lot of people probably would not believe it but that definitely seems to be a possibility today."

<font color="blue"> This means that NOBODY is safe. Not even me. They don't care if I can do my job better than Rajib, they know they can get Rajib cheaper and he wont care that he's being paid 1/4 they were paying me.</font color>

Thus there's much risk on the shoulders of individual workers, he said.

Global competition_ while painful to people who lose jobs _ has economics benefits, economists said.

<font color="blue">Who benefits? Us or them? This is where you;re told to be grateful for the crumbs on your plate. </font color>

As the global market grows, there are opportunities for U.S. companies to create new jobs.

<font color="blue">The jobs will be created, just not in the US. </font color>

The addition of millions of lower-wage workers from China, India and Eastern Europe has helped to hold down labor costs and thus make inflation lower than it otherwise would be in the United States and elsewhere.

For Americans, that has meant the Federal Reserve hasn't had to be more aggressive in raising interest rates to keep inflation in check.

<font color="blue"> This is a crock. They arent raising it because outsourcing is taking the place of the lost jobs here in the States. Its not viewed as lost jobs, its viewed as worker replacement. When comparing the unemployed to the number of jobs - outsourcing clouds up the statistics and they can brag about creating new jobs. They wont tell you where the jobs were created - but they created them. Its a lie to cover up a bigger lie. </font color>

Information technology workers in the United States earn about $80 (67) an hour, compared with $22 (18) an hour in India, according to a report last year by Evalueserve and the National Association of Software and Service Companies, an Indian trade group.

The differences can be even greater for workers at specific skill levels. Hiring an experienced systems analyst will cost $53,000 (44,000) a year in the U.S., and just $11,000 (9,000) in India, according to Mercer Human Resource Consulting.

&lt;&lt;Associated Press WorldStream -- 03/06/06&gt;&gt;

<font color="blue">Stories like these are irritationg because they undermine the very core of the American Dream. Instead of taking care of each other, we have fallen into a situation where we are helping everybody BUT NOT ourselves. I know what its like to talk to somebody in Bombay about a phone bill discrepency. Its annoying and it makes me wonder why I cant go to the phone company and talk to a real person - the problem is the person here is no longer employed, so I get stuck talking the guy in Bombay. This is nuts. We need to be very careful about who we elect and what their views are on these issues. </font color>

onepocketfanatic
03-06-2006, 06:29 PM
"President George W. Bush says he feels the pain of American workers who have lost their jobs to a cheaper workforce overseas". I say an unadulterated HORSE$HIT!
This Texas "BOY" is so out of touch with the person actually working for a living it is pitiful.
This is just another example of how Uncle Sam(not just GW, but the entire Congress) sells out the American people for special interest, other governments that have done them favors, and others that have given them gifts, trips, and cash. Sadly our elected officials $uck. The talk about job creation, but fail to mention that the jobs being created would have the individual trying to feed his family on $6 an hour. They could care less since they have a pension, lifetime health care, and a host of other benefits for life that none of us will ever even come close to having.
My solution would be to elect anyone that has not ever held a job inside the beltway, and kick out every one of these "good ole boys".

wolfdancer
03-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Good post Debra, and your thoughts are right on the money....if you'll pardon the pun.
I had an inquiry about my Amex card.....customer service was in India. BofA customer service is in either India or the Philippines.
Dells credit customer service...ditto
So we have people getting $2 a day, and having access to our personal data.....it's a little scary.....
Gee, I can see India and China fighting over who gets to claim Fla? for debt default

Drop1
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
The best and most thorough read on the subject, is tittled "The World is Flat" The dots are all connected,and the pending failure of globalization for the average American working in the information sector is detailed very carefully. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
To add to your list, any furthered education here by Americans will merely be smothered with corps here hiring from outside the country with professional degrees for those willing to bargain for far less salaries. Who would you hire? Yea, sucks bigtime, and anyone seeing this idiot's suggestion as meaningfull, is simply inside a personal fog...sid

Drop1
03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
If your job can go through a wire,its time to take up plumbing. If you are a computer programer,learn to lay tile.The buying power of the average college graduate droped five peercent since 2001. This is the way the world turns,and Bush is playing catch up.

DebraLiStarr
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> The buying power of the average college graduate droped five peercent since 2001. This is the way the world turns,and Bush is playing catch up. <hr /></blockquote>

Where did you find that statistic? Do you know who did the study. 5%? I'm curious to see the source and who conducted that study and with whom.