PDA

View Full Version : Alternative theory of Intelligent Design

nAz
03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Some of you probably read this before... it's still pretty funny and sad at the same time.

OPEN LETTER TO KANSAS SCHOOL BOARD:

CC:

* DOVER SCHOOL BOARD (PENNSYLVANIA)
* OHIO STATE SCHOOL BOARD
* RIO RANCHO SCHOOL BOARD (NEW MEXICO)
* GRANTSBURG SCHOOL BOARD (WISCONSIN)
* COBB COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD(GEORGIA)
* SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD(TENNESSEE)
* CHARLES COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD(MARYLAND)
* NAPERVILLE SCHOOL BOARD(ILLINOIS)
* DARBY SCHOOL BOARD (MONTANA)
* BLUFFTON-HARRISON SCHOOL BOARD (INDIANA)
* TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY
* KENTUCKY GOVERNOR ERNIE FLETCHER
* SOUTH CAROLINA SENATOR MICHAEL L. FAIR

I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design should be taught along with the theory of Evolution. I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him.

It is for this reason that Iím writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories. In fact, I will go so far as to say, if you do not agree to do this, we will be forced to proceed with legal action. Iím sure you see where we are coming from. If the Intelligent Design theory is not based on faith, but instead another scientific theory, as is claimed, then you must also allow our theory to be taught, as it is also based on science, not on faith.

Some find that hard to believe, so it may be helpful to tell you a little more about our beliefs. We have evidence that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. None of us, of course, were around to see it, but we have written accounts of it. We have several lengthy volumes explaining all details of His power. Also, you may be surprised to hear that there are over 10 million of us, and growing. We tend to be very secretive, as many people claim our beliefs are not substantiated by observable evidence. What these people donít understand is that He built the world to make us think the earth is older than it really is. For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 10,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage. We have numerous texts that describe in detail how this can be possible and the reasons why He does this. He is of course invisible and can pass through normal matter with ease.

Iím sure you now realize how important it is that your students are taught this alternate theory. It is absolutely imperative that they realize that observable evidence is at the discretion of a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Furthermore, it is disrespectful to teach our beliefs without wearing His chosen outfit, which of course is full pirate regalia. I cannot stress the importance of this enough, and unfortunately cannot describe in detail why this must be done as I fear this letter is already becoming too long. The concise explanation is that He becomes angry if we donít.

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

In conclusion, thank you for taking the time to hear our views and beliefs. I hope I was able to convey the importance of teaching this theory to your students. We will of course be able to train the teachers in this alternate theory. I am eagerly awaiting your response, and hope dearly that no legal action will need to be taken. I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.

Sincerely Yours,

Bobby Henderson, concerned citizen.

P.S. I have included an artistic drawing of Him creating a mountain, trees, and a midget. Remember, we are all His creatures.

http://www.venganza.org/him2.jpg

SPetty
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Yep, it's still funny over two months after we first heard about it...

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=214595

Fran Crimi
03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
You know what the funny thing is about intelligent design, nAz....it could very well be true, with evolution in the mix.

I don't think evolution can be ignored. I also don't think the possiblity of a plan for the human race should be ignored. Why can't there a plan that allows evolution?

Unfortunately, the special interest groups and extremists on both ends will make sure to spin it as 'you can't believe in both, you must pick one, and if you pick the one we think is wrong, you're an idiot'.....Business as usual... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Drop1
03-07-2006, 01:35 PM
You know nAz, I don't give a rats A$$ about God,or Design. Humanity has suffered too much to take seriously the idea of Divine intervention. The idea of the Alternative theory might be my source of comfort,as I contemplate a lake of fire,as my home for eternity. If thats not love,what is?

eg8r
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think evolution can be ignored. I also don't think the possiblity of a plan for the human race should be ignored. Why can't there a plan that allows evolution? <hr /></blockquote> There is, it is Creationism. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They believe in evolution, they just don't beleive we all came from a rock hurtling through space a couple billion years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
It still seems strange that a group of scientists who forever claim to need solid evidence of something, would rather make an assumption that this all started from a mass the size of a softball and expanded ever since to the size we now see in the known universe, rather than contemplate the possibility that some intellegence may have guided the process. How many things of that density have these scientists seen? It is much akin to seeing guy running from one direction and making the assumption he was always running from that direction, then deciding what he must be running from and what he had for breakfast. Science says they want proof. They want proof that supports their belief system just like the vast majority of us do.

Fifty years ago we could say with certainty that the atom was the smallest thing in the universe and that the speed of light could never be exceeded, that we were "this close" to understanding quantum theory.

I don't say intellegent design should be taught but let's come off the high horse about how much these witch doctor scientist's certainty counts for, heck they even screwed up the uncertainty theory, how wrong can you get?

Deeman
asking that none of us see a lake of fire....

pooltchr
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> - Humanity has suffered too much to take seriously the idea of Divine intervention. <hr /></blockquote>

Another way of looking at it. Humanity has told God to stay out of our schools, to stay out of our government, and pretty much to stay out of our lives. Maybe He is just abiding by our wishes!
Sometimes, you get what you ask for.
Steve

Fran Crimi
03-07-2006, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I don't think evolution can be ignored. I also don't think the possiblity of a plan for the human race should be ignored. Why can't there a plan that allows evolution? <hr /></blockquote> There is, it is Creationism. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They believe in evolution, they just don't beleive we all came from a rock hurtling through space a couple billion years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Again, it all comes down to the extremest spins on it. To some, Creationism means we were all placed here, as is, with nothing leading up to where we are today. Isn't that the big debate that the extremes are fighting each other about?

Fran

Drop1
03-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Anything is possible,and you may well be right. My view is there is no intervention,because there is no God,and there never was a God. Of course if there is a God,I'm in deep S**t. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
03-07-2006, 10:55 PM
"I don't think evolution can be ignored. I also don't think the possiblity of a plan for the human race should be ignored. Why can't there a plan that allows evolution?"

Ya Fran I use to feel that way maybe I still do. but I guess over the last few years I have seen many things in the news and in my personal life regarding organized religions and their "our way or the hi way to hell for you" that it has left me to question the existence of god.
so now I consider myself an spiritual agnostic, I follow no distinct religious base or adhere to any doctrine... or is that a new religion?

BTW I really do appreciate your open minded response to my Thread as well as those from the other posters.

nAz
03-07-2006, 10:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> - Humanity has suffered too much to take seriously the idea of Divine intervention. <hr /></blockquote>

Another way of looking at it. Humanity has told God to stay out of our schools, to stay out of our government, and pretty much to stay out of our lives. Maybe He is just abiding by our wishes!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve it is also possible that most not all of the problems in this world over that last... err I guess 5000 years has been caused by religion and not the lack of it.

onepocketfanatic
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I believe there is a spirit of the universe, divine creator, God, or what ever you want to call it. What I don't beleive is that any one organized religion has the lock on being in a good place after we leave this one. If you listen to them though, each one is right, and all of the others are wrong, and if you don't believe the way they believe, you are doomed. For sure, one day we will all find out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rich R.
03-08-2006, 03:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> so now I consider myself an spiritual agnostic, I follow no distinct religious base or adhere to any doctrine... or is that a new religion?<hr /></blockquote>
nAz, it's definitely a new religion. Now you can apply for your tax exempt status. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
03-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Terrorists prayed to their God, as they flew planes into the WTC, as retaliation for their claim that Westerners had desecrated their holy lands, insulting their God. George Bush then declared a war on their evil, before launching his own God inspired retaliation against their evil actions, and causing death and destruction for thousands who had no role in it.

Evangelicals, and their so called Moral Majority, have declared a social war against their interpretation of evil, against gay people, women who exercise their personal, private rights and freedoms, and even people who use birth control.

The common thread in all of this, is organized religion, and its follower's assumption that they have the right to judge, dictate, and/or kill, anyone and everyone who does not share their views, values, beliefs and interpretation of God, each of them claiming to do God's work, and spread God's word. The result,.... more people killing other people, all in the name of God. Some things never change....How very sad and pointless.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
03-08-2006, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> - Humanity has suffered too much to take seriously the idea of Divine intervention. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve it is also possible that most not all of the problems in this world over that last... err I guess 5000 years has been caused by religion and not the lack of it. <hr /></blockquote>

So the problems may be a result of some organized religeon, but not necessarily the action or inaction of a higher power.

Yes, you have a valid option as well. But here's the catch...If my option is incorrect, I really haven't lost anything...if your option is wrong...you have!

Personally, I am not a fan of any organized religeon...since they are all led by humans and humans are not perfect. Belief in a higher power does not require being a part of any religeous organization.

Back on the topic, I also have to agree with Fran...I see no reason that evolution can not be a part of a greater master plan.

Steve

eg8r
03-08-2006, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To some, Creationism means we were all placed here, as is, with nothing leading up to where we are today. <hr /></blockquote> I guess this is to vague to understand what you mean. Creationists do believe we were placed here (earth), but they definitely do not believe everything is now as it was in the beginning. Creationists believe in microevolution, meaning while we have domestic dogs now, poodle, chiauahua, etc, they are not necessarily the same dogs from a couple thousand years ago. Noah could only take 2 of a "kind" on the boat, meaning one male and one female dog. We now have many many different types of dogs but they all evolved from the 2 on Noah's ark.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey nAz...don't let all that extremist crap spoil it for you. I think there's something inate that we all know but can't quite put our finger on.

How about all those people who can identify a specific time and place in the past, even what the inside of a house looked like, and have it confirmed? I've read so many fascinating cases of that. I think we keep coming back until we get it right. Some are farther along than others along those lines.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the story of Adam and Eve was given to us to teach us a lesson about the consequences of greed. Amazing, after all these millennia, we still haven't learned that lesson. It's such a simple story, yet we continue to ignore it's lesson.

Take greed out of the picture, and it's a different world...maybe even like the Garden of Eden.

Fran

Drop1
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna take a nap. If God shows up,wake me up.

Deeman3
03-08-2006, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I'm gonna take a nap. If God shows up,wake me up. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Don't worry, if you need to be awakened He will do it. </font color>

Drop1
03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
My point exactly.