PDA

View Full Version : Stressed/nervous before tournament-dont be!

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 04:19 AM
At the last NEWT event, I sat down with Steve Lipsky (who by the way, I absolutely love&respect and in slang term ,to me ,is "Bang'n) anyways, we talked about being hard or mad if we miss a ball, especially me, cause Im so high-anxiety energy,duh-so, on that note:
If you get bad position,this may help, ask youself "if your opponent left you that shot, would you like it" you bet youer ass you would!
If you miss a ball. does it really matter to ANYONE except ourselves, because of our own competitive nature-of course-who the hell else cares and there will ALWAYS be another game somewhere or aometime-you did your best and you can only get better if you keep practicing-just stay postive and dont get stressed!(words of Steve Lipsky) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now, on that note, as many of you know, I am sponsored by Eurowest Cues and FDNY Ladder 111-Engine 214-Well, lately in NYC, theres been an arsonist in the Brooklyn area for the past couple of weeks and its my brothers companys area-in yesterdays post&Daily news and last weeks........and so on, Ladder 111 have been battling these fires and I have 3 absolutely "SICK" pictures of the bucket 111,with my brother in it(cause thats his job-he's in the ladder,trying to put out the flames and catch the people jumping), shooting massive water at these 6 story tenements,flames shooting out all over the damn place and people just burning to death-these are my men,my brother,who send me to pro events and risk there lives-so I am going to make copies of thses photos and am bringing them to Superbilliards for anyomne to take one and think twice about going out there and playing a tournament stressed-hopefully it will be inspiring and a wake up call that win or lose,all it was, was a game and you go home to your warm bed and family and go to the next turnament!
I dont know, I just felt like telling you this in hopes that people just keep positive and have fun as they play cause there are so many damn terrible things going on in this world that playing a game of nineball shouldnt be one of them!Ya know?

So, good luck to all you guys/gals in league or tournament or the Expo tourney and just go gettum and have fun and as /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifVoodoo would say "think of nothing"

Take care!
Carol~sitting in the lotus position humming,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif -andnever,ever calls my brother to tell him Im stressed cause I missed a damn nineball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He'd probably slap me anyway,nah,only kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Carol,
Thanks for the story. I hope they catch the person doing this and string them up. We had this same thing where I live about 30 years ago. Turned out to be junior firemen who were bored and wanted a fire to fight. See you next week.

Duane

Vagabond
03-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Carol,it is a good message.

Stretch
03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> At the last NEWT event, I sat down with Steve Lipsky (who by the way, I absolutely love&amp;respect and in slang term ,to me ,is "Bang'n) anyways, we talked about being hard or mad if we miss a ball, especially me, cause Im so high-anxiety energy,duh-so, on that note:
If you get bad position,this may help, ask youself "if your opponent left you that shot, would you like it" you bet youer ass you would!
If you miss a ball. does it really matter to ANYONE except ourselves, because of our own competitive nature-of course-who the hell else cares and there will ALWAYS be another game somewhere or aometime-you did your best and you can only get better if you keep practicing-just stay postive and dont get stressed!(words of Steve Lipsky) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now, on that note, as many of you know, I am sponsored by Eurowest Cues and FDNY Ladder 111-Engine 214-Well, lately in NYC, theres been an arsonist in the Brooklyn area for the past couple of weeks and its my brothers companys area-in yesterdays post&amp;Daily news and last weeks........and so on, Ladder 111 have been battling these fires and I have 3 absolutely "SICK" pictures of the bucket 111,with my brother in it(cause thats his job-he's in the ladder,trying to put out the flames and catch the people jumping), shooting massive water at these 6 story tenements,flames shooting out all over the damn place and people just burning to death-these are my men,my brother,who send me to pro events and risk there lives-so I am going to make copies of thses photos and am bringing them to Superbilliards for anyomne to take one and think twice about going out there and playing a tournament stressed-hopefully it will be inspiring and a wake up call that win or lose,all it was, was a game and you go home to your warm bed and family and go to the next turnament!
I dont know, I just felt like telling you this in hopes that people just keep positive and have fun as they play cause there are so many damn terrible things going on in this world that playing a game of nineball shouldnt be one of them!Ya know?

So, good luck to all you guys/gals in league or tournament or the Expo tourney and just go gettum and have fun and as /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifVoodoo would say "think of nothing"

Take care!
Carol~sitting in the lotus position humming,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif -andnever,ever calls my brother to tell him Im stressed cause I missed a damn nineball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He'd probably slap me anyway,nah,only kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for that wonderful message Toots. Great post and very relevent to everyone's performance at the table.

Just to add too the theme of your title, i liken playing pool now too fishing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's suppose to be fun, it's supposed to be relaxing, and there will always be surprises. I don't know about anyone else but fishing for me is rather medatative. You just kind of blend in with the scenery as you feel the waves nudge the boat, the sights and sounds become familiar and it's kinda like your being a part of nature and becomeing everything around. Well Pool for me is becomeing that way.

Loved Voodoo's saying "think of nothing" must have missed that on the first go round, thanks. Very profound. St.

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 08:07 AM
STRETCH,
God, how you ALWAYS make me smile-no doubt!
Ya know, a very good pro friend of mine told me to put myself in an atmosphere that is relaxing.serene, so now, with your permission, I just may think of Stretch ,fishing on a big blue beautiful ocean,waves rolling along -how that should help my mental game,huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And hey, I dont think I ever thanked you after 9/11 when I was afraid to fly and we talked on FEAR (false expression appearing real)-I never forgot that and thats what gets me on my planes-thank you from my heart! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol~no fear-just thinking of my bright star in the north /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Singing "do you know the way to Sante Fe"
I've been there and done that with Vagabond!Oh yeah!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifCarol

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Hiya Duane,
Sounds like the movie "backdraft"
They'll catch'em-I hope!
love ya,
see ya soon,
Carol~dinner,dinner,dinner /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I will be at Eurowest booth #24-upstairs,between shifts with ALL photos!and just to hug youse all!
see ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-07-2006, 09:04 AM
It was like "Backdraft." I knew two of the four guys who were caught. I don't remember what their "sentence" was, but they were all high school age.
Duane-can't wait

Eric.
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I will be at Eurowest booth #24-upstairs,between shifts with ALL photos!and just to hug youse all!
see ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'll be there to collect my "annual Valley Forge hug".

Eric

Vagabond
03-07-2006, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Singing "do you know the way to Sante Fe"
I've been there and done that with Vagabond!Oh yeah!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifCarol <hr /></blockquote>

Come prepared to do it again this year also.This tome we will take Dawn .H also.

9 Ball Girl
03-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Carol! I would love to have a picture to put up in my cubicle here at work for those stressful filled days every now and then so save me one!

See you next week, aiiight!

Wendy&lt;---has seen a pic of Carol's bro and he is definitely bangin'! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
You got it, girl!WORD!
These are "sick" -just something you WOULDNT (edit) wanna wake up to-let me tell ya!
People with think twice about the word "stress"
love ya,
Carol~just had them all printed and Wendys got one with her name on it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 03:08 PM
aw,cm'on Eric,
You know you dont gotta go to VF for your hug-
love ya,

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Thats a date baby!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
03-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Duane,
isnt it amazing how sick some people are?
Carol~can't wait either!

Leviathan
03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Nice post!

--AS

dg-in-centralpa
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Carol,
Is there a picture for me too? Pretty please with sugar on top? Please please please?

Duane

CarolNYC
03-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks Leviathan,
And I like your "loc"! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
03-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey Duane,
I got 50 of each made up-you got it!
Peacing-
love,

dg-in-centralpa
03-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks! Me, Mary, and my daughter will be seeing you soon.

Duane

Voodoo Daddy
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>and as /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifVoodoo would say "think of nothing"<hr /></blockquote>

Its all I can do anymore...think of nuthin' cause everything else in life just pisses me off /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~5 days till the Hustle Bus '06 leave the station!!

CarolNYC
03-09-2006, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cause everything else in life just pisses me off

<hr /></blockquote>
Thats it!!!!!-you better not come to the Expo all PISSY-cause I will pick you up and throw your ass out,ha ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
If you bring your WONDERFUL smile with you, I will bring you an FDNY "NUTHOUSE" shirt-cause of course, we'll all be eating Barbaras NUTZ and we all belong in the nuthouse!LMAO!!!!!!!
See ya soon!
Carol~lets play,ah-ite? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
03-09-2006, 03:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Thats it!!!!!-you better not come to the Expo all PISSY-cause I will pick you up and throw your ass out,ha ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif<hr /></blockquote>
This I have to see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Have a safe trip.
DG

CarolNYC
03-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Hi Rich,
Nah, I know Voodoo too well-like I said "love'em or hate'em, he's ALWAYS the same package"
But he BETTER NOT BE PISSY /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif,otherwise KODAK MOMENT,ROFL!!!!!!!!!
Carol~one thing that pisses her off is PISSY people,ha ha ha

John_Madden
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Carol
Wife and I hope to see you again at VF this year. Maybe something to think about -- Your brother and his ladder company must have tremonduous stress doing what they do. They have to channel that stress into concentrating on their job - do the same on your game (its ok to be nervous playing-be scared if you weren't). And I understand. One of my sons is a cop in Phoenix. Everytime a cop gets shot he calls to say he is ok (before someone else calls to tell me about a shooting) One week 5 got shot - 3 died!! So just take a deep breath and play.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

sack316
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
thank you for this Carol. I actually have a tournament tomorrow that I've been doing my best to keep cool about. This has already been a big help!

Sack

CarolNYC
03-11-2006, 03:49 AM
No problem,SacK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Glad to have been some kind of help-go gettum-keep it real and think of nothing!
For me, that "if your opponent left you that shot,would you like it" kinda helps, so dont worry about getting bad on the shot, just take it from there,ya know?
When in doubt,knock'em out!Ah-ite,SIR! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol~got Sacks back!

CarolNYC
03-11-2006, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wife and I hope to see you again at VF this year <hr /></blockquote>
Hiya Jack,
Absolutely-we will see eachother /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One of my sons is a cop in Phoenix. Everytime a cop gets shot he calls to say he is ok (before someone else calls to tell me about a shooting) One week 5 got shot - 3 died!!
<hr /></blockquote>
Whoa-jeesh-tough,tough job-I can't--tell your son my prayers are with him ,ALWAYS-and to stay safe out there!
(My younger brother is in NYPD-ESU Weapons of Mass Destruction Unit (WMD)-we do the same thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
tremonduous stress doing what they do. They have to channel that stress into concentrating on their job - <hr /></blockquote>
Jack, THIS IS SUCH A STRONG sentence-CHANNEL-the ability to channel-OMG-Dawn (Hopkins) is ,like, one of my bestfriends, so last week after doing all the VF stuff, we're talking, and we discussed this issue using the CHANNELING thing-(I'd like to talk with you if we get a chance at VF)-
Did ya ever watch the "crocodile hunter?" Well, he says "Crikey,what a beaut,look at the size of her" in that australian accent-ROFL-(Dawn can say it so good in the australian accent)so yesterday, at the poolhall, I run the WHOLE rack perfectly,pocket my keyball to a perfect breakshot-dont ya know,I miss the damn breakshot and open the pack-what did I say "Crikey,what a beaut-I couldnt even put the ball down under?ha ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
See ya in VF-
Always a pleasure!
Carol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
03-13-2006, 03:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> No problem,SacK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Glad to have been some kind of help-go gettum-keep it real and think of nothing!
For me, that "if your opponent left you that shot,would you like it" kinda helps, so dont worry about getting bad on the shot, just take it from there,ya know?
When in doubt,knock'em out!Ah-ite,SIR! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol~got Sacks back! <hr /></blockquote>

Well Carol, the results speak for themsleves! Wound up entering 3 teams in it (it was a scotch doubles 9-ball tourney). One team as a 9, two as tens... and as anyone who's played the APA doubles knows, high SL teams don't fare too well in the nine ball ones. One ten team didn't make the money, my other SL 10 team made 5th-8th for a little cash, and my SL 9 team (my usual scotch partner for tournies whom I always place with, however this is our highest rank yet) managed a grueling second place after a long 14 hour day. So slthough we didn't make first to clinch a Vegas spot, the League Operators pointed out that we made more than anough to afford the Vegas trip to play in minis. So we may do that.

I told each of my partners about this thread, and I think they needed it much more than I did since I sure as heck didn't give them the leaves I should have all day, but the girl I finished second with was a rock all day. She really made me look good, making me ask the question a few times "which one of us is the 3?" And of course when she was a tad off I managed to step it up, but she no doubt carried us and did more than her fair share all day-- helping us hold all but two opponents to under 14 balls per match--- even beating one under-ranked SL6 team. Unfortunately in the finals we ran into an even more under-ranked SL6 team that had already made thir measly 19 points before we even got out of the starting blocks it seemed. But credit to them for shooting their butts off, they probably would have beaten us even if it had been a straight race.

All in all a very fun, stressful, tiring, and competitive day. Sorry to hijack your thread, but since you had the words of wisdom and also apparently my back, thought I'd throw it in here. Now if only I had offered up a piece of the calcutta to you....

Thanks again Carol,
Sack

oh, and PS... maybe I didn't shoot as bad as I thought because suddenly I've now been moved up a level. Gotta call the LO's and tell them it was all her and not me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good night all!

CarolNYC
03-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Yo,yo,yo,Sack,
Woo-hoo-that is just awesome-helluva job-you and your partner must've been "slamming"-way to go and it was ALL YOUSE babies! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(it was a scotch doubles 9-ball tourney). One team as a 9, two as tens... and as anyone who's played the APA doubles knows, high SL teams don't fare too well in the nine ball ones. long 14 hour day anough to afford the Vegas trip- second place<hr /></blockquote>

First off-you &amp; your partner must REALLY blend-I think scotch-doubles ,along with ANY team play ,is very difficult and I have ALOT of respect for this kind of play!
Im just blown away-this is just wonderful,great job and I just dont know what else to say! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All in all a very fun, stressful, tiring, and competitive day <hr /></blockquote>
God knows we all know what thats like,huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And you didnt hijack,JACK,(ha ha ha)-you go Sack-Im very proud of you and your teams-
And hey, I woulda took a piece of that calcutta /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you so much for the lowdown of fantastic news-what a way to start my day!

You stay well /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol-Sack knocked'em out-no doubt /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif