PDA

View Full Version : Sticky felt? Sticky balls? Help.

loyter
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a 3.5 x 7 home table, which I bought new a long time ago...(12 years or so). About 6 months ago, I recovered it with Simonis 860, which I have really enjoyed....but here's my question:

The shots aren't reacting like they used to. When the Simonis was new, I could get a lot more action out of the cue ball. In fact, the cue ball would slide along the felt for long distances and get draw even on medium-speed shots. Also, when the felt was new, the cue, after impact would stop...spin for a moment (like Scooby Doo trying to start running) and then come back.

Now, the cue ball starts coming back as soon as it hits the object, if I can get enough spin on it to come back at all.

I have played in some local halls the last few nights, and even the bar boxes are easier for me to get draw on.

So far, I have tried cleaning the balls, sweeping the felt and vaccuming the felt but things aren't improving. How can I get that original performance back? I am in a dry climate and the table doesn't get much play. Neither does it get used as storage or anything like that. I also have famously dry hands, so I don't think it's picking up a bunch of oil from my skin.

I have also noticed that my cue tends to get a little sticky on the shaft when I practice for a while...another problem that I don't have elsewhere.

Any ideas would be great.

Bob_Jewett
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> ... Any ideas would be great. <hr /></blockquote>
Wax the cue ball. Hard wax or silicone spray (like ArmorAll) will work.

You might also try getting a new cue ball.

loyter
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, I'll be damned. Simple, elegant solution. Thanks.

Bob_Jewett
03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> Well, I'll be damned. Simple, elegant solution. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
Well, maybe, but let us know if it works. The wax doesn't last for more than a few hours, usually. People have been known to spray silicone on the cloth, but I wouldn't recommend that.

loyter
03-13-2006, 10:18 AM
So far, so good.

It has been several days and probably about 6 hours playing time. It has been good so far.