PDA

View Full Version : keep rotating my wrist....

viking_kid
03-08-2006, 11:09 PM
I've got into the bad habit of rotating my "swing" arm, the wrist not bridging the pool cue, if I concentrate enough and on every shot I take I end up not doing it but in the instances that i come to the table for simple shots I roll my wrist and mess the shot up through deflection...which is HARD to do considering I use a Predator Z shaft. What would you guys say to aleviate this problem, have any of you had this happen? I don't even know why I started rolling the shaft in my closed bridge, but it seems that lately if I don't concentrate on NOT doing it, I end up doing it. Almost like an addiction.

pooltchr
03-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Without seeing you shoot, it's a little hard to pinpoint the problem. It's possible that your alignment is off slightly to begin with, and you are using your wrist to make a last second adjustment. You might be tightning your grip at the last moment, or you might have too much tension in your forearm.
Check your alignment first. Pick a target, step into your shot, and shoot it without any warm-up strokes or any adjustments at all. Just get down and shoot. You will be able to tell if you are off on your initial alignment very quickly.
Steve

Fran Crimi
03-09-2006, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote viking_kid:</font><hr> I've got into the bad habit of rotating my "swing" arm, the wrist not bridging the pool cue, if I concentrate enough and on every shot I take I end up not doing it but in the instances that i come to the table for simple shots I roll my wrist and mess the shot up through deflection...which is HARD to do considering I use a Predator Z shaft. What would you guys say to aleviate this problem, have any of you had this happen? I don't even know why I started rolling the shaft in my closed bridge, but it seems that lately if I don't concentrate on NOT doing it, I end up doing it. Almost like an addiction. <hr /></blockquote>

It's a pretty common problem that players often get caught-up in. Hard to tell exactly why it started with you, but often the reason it starts is due to the player trying to 'steer' the cue ball. For example: if you want the cue ball to go to the right after it hits the object ball, you may twist your wrist out to the right.

Since everything we do becomes a habit (some good, some bad), twisting your wrist has now become a habit. It's going to take conscious focus on your wrist to change it. Try making sure the knuckles of your back hand are in the same place all the way through your stroke. If they finish in the same position they started, then you haven't twisted your wrist.

Once you start twisting, it will feel awkward when you don't twist, so you will have to work through that uncomfortable feeling until not twisting becomes your new habit.

Fran