PDA

View Full Version : Must a push out be called in advance?

07-03-2002, 09:29 AM
Do you have to call push out before you shoot one? And if you do and forget to, is it a foul which would give your opponet ball in hand?

stickman
07-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Yes. Yes.

5.6 PUSH OUT
The player who shoots the shot immediately after a legal break may play a push out in an attempt to move the cue ball into a better position for the option that follows. On a push out, the cue ball is not required to con-tact any object ball nor any rail, but all other foul rules still apply. The player must announce the intention of playing a push out before the shot, or the shot is considered to be a normal shot. Any ball pocketed on a push out does not count and remains pocketed except the 9-ball. Following a legal push out, the incoming player is permitted to shoot from that position or to pass the shot back to the player who pushed out. A push out is not considered to be a foul as long as no rule (except rules 5.8 and 5.9) is violated. An illegal push out is penalized according to the type of foul committed. After a player scratches on the break shot, the incoming player cannot play a push out.

07-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks Stickman.
While watching some of the tournament matches I thought I maybe saw a pushout without it being called. I doubt if I would ever try to call a foul if someone did forget to call a pushout.

07-03-2002, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> Thanks Stickman.
While watching some of the tournament matches I thought I maybe saw a pushout without it being called. I doubt if I would ever try to call a foul if someone did forget to call a pushout. <hr></blockquote>

To me, it depends whether the push is clear. In other words, if the push is clearly not an attempt to hit the low ball, I personally would not call a foul (although certainly entitled to under the rules). However, you don't want the other guy kicking at the one ball, missing, and saying it was a push. As a matter of habit, I ALWAYS say "push" before pushing, no matter how obvious.

Regards,

Gideon

Doctor_D
07-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Good afternoon:

Additionally, I always look at my opponent when calling a push as well as to make certain that my opponent acknowledges the fact that I have called a push.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
07-03-2002, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gideon:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Eddie G Chgo:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Thanks Stickman.
While watching some of the tournament matches I thought I maybe saw a pushout without it being called. I doubt if I would ever try to call a foul if someone did forget to call a pushout. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

To me, it depends whether the push is clear. In other words, if the push is clearly not an attempt to hit the low ball, I personally would not call a foul (although certainly entitled to under the rules). However, you don't want the other guy kicking at the one ball, missing, and saying it was a push. As a matter of habit, I ALWAYS say "push" before pushing, no matter how obvious.

Regards,

Gideon <hr></blockquote>

I'm with you Gideon. I'm the same way.

Regards,

C.C.~~knows the difference.

Nostroke
07-03-2002, 01:42 PM
On a previous thread i had stated that i never saw any poor sportsmanship in woman's pool but i have to take that back, now that this thread reminded me of a very sad incident.

Allison called a push and then made a very obvious push. Julie Kelly called foul claiming not to have heard her. The tournament director said " i heard her and im way over here" Everyone in the crowd also said they heard Allison call the push.

However, the TD, even though he had heard the push called, said it was Allison's obligation to make sure that JK heard her and JK was given ball in hand. A couple of guys in the crowd actually heckled JK throughout the match they were so upset. Allison still won of course but I don't think i will ever warm up to Julie after that.

This is on a par or maybe not quite with calling a foul on your opponent (getting the "called" 7) who forgot to "call" the 7-Ball hanging in the pocket.

07-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Nostroke, you have quite a memory, as it was described to me a few years ago exactly as you stated it. IMO a really stupid idea to do anything disrespectful such as that to upset AF, and give her even more incentive. AF has not forgotten this incident - nor has JK ever defeated Allison in a match! Sadly, I guess some players will go to any extreme to win. - Chris in NC

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2002, 02:13 PM
One time I played this guy in a 9 ball tournament. I broke, nothing dropped. He then called a push. I said ok. He wound up hitting the 1 ball and then making it. He proceeded to continue to shoot at the 2 ball. I stopped him and said it's my turn. He started to argue that it doesn't matter whether he called a push or not but since he made the 1 ball then he should keep shooting. I told him had I not liked the shot he left after the push, and I gave him the ok to continue shooting, then he should've kept shooting. That's what a push is all about. Needless to say, I took ball in hand (per the TD), and ran it out. /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Nostroke
07-04-2002, 09:06 AM
My memory for most things is pretty bad. A little too much partying in the 60's and 70's I'm afraid.

But that incident made a lasting impression on me.It was a small poolroom (Castle) and the match was being played 10 feet away at most so i didnt miss a thing.