PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Friends And Business

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Firstly, this is about a pool table mechanic, so it is PR. I have what I considered a good friend who has his own billiard mechanic business, van with the company logo, etc, and dealt with him for a job breaking down my table along with a reinstall following needed home renovations. Well, the renovations have been done for over two weeks, my garage is jammed with the table,,,,my guy stalled on the following week's appointment, said he'd do it that Friday, I called Thursday to confirm and got a reply from him that he would call me back that evening to firm up. Well that was the last time I got him, his voice mail is all I can obtain, called him half a dozen times at least over the last week.

Assuming that I have another mechanic do the install, it will cost me extra from what my insurance has settled and prepaid(my friend's/mechanic quote which I gave ST.Farm).

How would you deal with such a person following this F'd up deal? Is it worth running him down the road to my other PH cronies who know him? Thoughts? sid

Rich R.
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I think a lot depends on just how good a friend he is and how much you value that friendship.

Good friend --- cut him some slack and keep calling. If you can get him, ask what the problem is. He may have a legitimate excuse.

Casual aquaintence --- do what you have to do.

I have found out the hard way that a lot of times, friends can't seperate friendship from business. They expect favors and/or considerations, in a business deal, that is purely based on friendship. Sometimes you just have to say "No", even to the best of friends. Unfortunately, they don't always understand.

ALLENJK
03-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Sid I can probably help you with the insurance company on this. I'm in the body shop business and I deal with situations like this on a daily basis. If you would like some guidance on this PM me your phone # and I will call you.

Jon

eg8r
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good friend --- cut him some slack and keep calling. If you can get him, ask what the problem is. He may have a legitimate excuse.

Casual aquaintence --- do what you have to do. <hr /></blockquote> My thoughts exactly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I had a friend call from another desk and the guy answered him. After a short conversation including mentioning a co-worker(Me by my name including the table install topic), and then my friend says "Let me let you talk to him"...I took the phone receiver and he had hung up. Now tell me, "Is there any logic as to why that happened?" I called back immediately and got voice mail again.

I could continue to use other's phones to stalk him, but it appears to me for whatever reason, he's simply avoiding me. There will be no legitimate excuses if this day ends with no contact from the guy,,,,frankly, I have enough friends without him anyway if he wants to be a butthead. And to think, I recommended him to several people over the years, this being my first real experience with his business ethics(or lack of.)

I'm bound to do a little running down the road discussions with mutual friends if I hear nothing from the guy by COB today...sid

OldieToo
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I had a friend call from another desk and the guy answered him. After a short conversation including mentioning a co-worker(Me by my name including the table install topic), and then my friend says "Let me let you talk to him"...I took the phone receiver and he had hung up. Now tell me, "Is there any logic as to why that happened?" I called back immediately and got voice mail again.

I could continue to use other's phones to stalk him, but it appears to me for whatever reason, he's simply avoiding me. There will be no legitimate excuses if this day ends with no contact from the guy,,,,frankly, I have enough friends without him anyway if he wants to be a butthead. And to think, I recommended him to several people over the years, this being my first real experience with his business ethics(or lack of.)

I'm bound to do a little running down the road discussions with mutual friends if I hear nothing from the guy by COB today...sid <hr /></blockquote>Sounds to me like you might not be paying him enough, he doesn't really like you, or he is just a dick. My opinions of course.

Then again, why not just setup the table yourself?...there really is no mystery to covering and leveling a table...pretty easy actually.

FastJoey
03-10-2006, 04:58 AM
evaluate carefully what u two said to each other.something happened to offend him.but if he doesn't want to even tell u then hell with him and move on in life without him.

Sid_Vicious
03-10-2006, 06:48 AM
I've done that and come up dry on ideas. He's more of a pool hound I wager pool games with from time to time over a decade of time, first business deal, so I guess he's just a bad businessman. Oh well, time to forget about it and move forward if I can't get any conversation at all. I may tackle the setup myself. I actually moved it myself when I bought it years ago, but a real mechanic put the table in good shooting shape later on. That was my desire on the 1st pass this time.

As far as the price if the job...he set the rate himself. Any real business man would honor his decision....sid

JohnnyP
03-10-2006, 08:01 AM
It sounds like he quoted too low of a price, and can't bring himself to ask for what the job is really worth.

If you want to remain friends, offer to pay the going rate. It's not fair to expect him to lose money on the deal, because he quoted an unrealistic price as a friend. Save that attitude for big companies.

Sid_Vicious
03-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Suggestions about just how I do that since the guy hangs up on me? This thing has gone on for long enough and I need/want my garage back for the auto's little spot. Yea, it'd be easily resolved one way or the other if a voice would appear for a discussion...sid

Terry
03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Sid, when I can't reach a person by phone for which I have some sort of agreement/dealing with I go in person to address the the issues at hand. Since you guys are friends of some sort, I think your close enough to drive to the source and find out what the real problem is. Good Luck, Terry

dg-in-centralpa
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Sid,
Since the friendship seems to be in the toilet, you have an option of sending a registered letter informing him of his committment to the job. If he doesn't respond, take him to small claims court. Has he been paid for the job? If so, this could be theft of services. Or another alternative, could be to send him a 1099 at the end of the yea

DG

DG

Sid_Vicious
03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, contact has been established and scheduled install next week. I guess I will simply drop the "whys" and "what-for-s" concerning the loss of contact. Thanks, to everyone who read and input their opinions. sid

Rich R.
03-10-2006, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Well, contact has been established and scheduled install next week. I guess I will simply drop the "whys" and "what-for-s" concerning the loss of contact. <hr /></blockquote>
I hope it works out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Let us know how you make out.

DG